Where's My Cow? by Terry Pratchett
Member:wisewoman
Title:Where's My Cow?
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Melvyn Grant (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Fantasy, Humor, Snark, Children's Picture Books

Where's My Cow? by Terry Pratchett

Recently added byddrucker, private library, RobinSheehy, aliphil, ariaflame, el_len, goblyn27

Who can resist a book that's won an award from Ook? :) ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 25, 2014 |
The book describes the journey in which Sam searches for a cow and he comes across several different animals who are identified by the noises they make
1 vote bmmander | Dec 2, 2013 |
Short and very silly (in a good way), though I wouldn't necessarily have bought it if I hadn't had an Amazon gift card. ( )
  bostonian71 | Feb 15, 2013 |
I opened this, and immediately found myself reading it aloud in bed to Mike, and indeed making all the noises. I fear I was not very good at the hippopotamus. Absolutely delightful if you're familiar with the genre, and beautifully illustrated too. Perfect. ( )
  lnr_blair | Nov 25, 2012 |
I love this cover. The almost lifelike rendition of the cow and the painting like quality of the background...then that little cartoon image in the two corners...brilliant. And the stamp - approved by the librarian of Unseen University. If you've read the discworld books, you'll get it, but you haven't...see there's this series of books. In some of the books there's this University, the Unseen University. It's quite magical, because it houses not only all the wizards and sorcerers in Ankh-Morpork (or almost all of them) keeping them from harming the innocent - and giving them a place to practice their arts, but it also holds all the magical books. Some of the books have to be chained down, or they'll escape. In charge of the library at Unseen University is an orangutang. He's very capable - he actually used to be a human, but he's pretty happy as an orangutang, in charge of the library. Those prehensile feet and hands, with the thumbs and all, turned out to be very handy - after all....So - he approves this book.
OOK!
I approve this book also. LOL, doesn't that sound vain? I do though. I've wanted this book for a long time, since it ties in so nicely with the other discworld novels...it's great because it's really three books in one. You'll have to read it to understand what I'm saying...

Commander Vimes, a frequent character of the discworld novels is one of the characters in this book. He's reading a book to his son....and the book he's reading...you get to read that while reading about Vimes reading to his son...see? There's another aspect to this, but at the moment I can't really explain it.

So Commander Vimes is reading this book and he is making all these animal sounds, because it's a book called Where's My Cow? So the book within this book has all these animals and animal sounds and someone is obviously looking for his cow....Vimes is reading this, and making the noises for his son - which his son loves - when he suddenly decides the book is a bit lame, in fact that it has nothing to do with real life. After all they live in a huge city, where all the animals are...cooked.

So he begins changing the book while reading, to something HE can relate to. Criminals. He starts naming the usual suspects that he has to deal with on a daily basis...and they all have some quirk, great names, and the pics - oh man, the pics are great. These aren't your normal tame children's book pics - so beware of this if you plan to read it to your kids or grandkids. They will have to have a good sense of the absurd and humor.

I Loved This Book.

I read it to both of my grandkids, and they know it's Granma's SPECIAL BOOK that they have to have ME bring down for them, so we can read it together. And like Vimes, I love making the animal sounds, and I even try to make the rather gross usual Suspects's sounds. like Hrrumph, etc. The kids laugh and laugh. I laugh and laugh. A good time is had by all. Grandma loves these type of childrens books.

Twisted, snarky, edgy slightly off children's books. ( )
2 vote Mardel | Dec 8, 2011 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, MelvynIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Reference guide/companion to

Every day, commander Vimes of the City Watch would be home at six o'clock sharp to read to Young Sam, who was one year old.

Sam Vimes must read a book to his son every night at 6:00. Because some things are important. However, after deciding that some things are silly, he decided to pursue his own story telling abilities. Much to Young Sam's delight.

This is a book about reading a book,
which turns into a different book.
But it all ends happily!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:55 -0400)

Sam Vimes reads to his son about a missing cow, but thinks his son should know about city things so he changes the story.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible