The Fight by Norman Mailer

The Fight (1975)

by Norman Mailer

English (11)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (13)
Norman Mailer was an excellent reporter for a while, and this is a fine example of his sports work. Ali comes off well, and the fight itself was a great one to watch. Read the book, and then watch the fight film if you can find it. The Will Smith movie is a fine work, but doesn't handle the fight itself well. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 4, 2015 |
As a feminist I'm not supposed to love Norman Mailer's writing, but I do. It takes my breath away, the audacity of it, the scene building, the way in this book it mirrors the fight it describes--a few wild swings of sentences, sure, but so many magnificent punches landed. Wonderful. ( )
1 vote poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
The are many reasons to read this book even if you abhore the idea of two men going at each other's brains in a ring. Norman Mailer is an excellent writer and recorder of history, he insinuates himself into the tale not only as a feat of bravado but to help explain the psychology of the time. There are many anecdotes he tells on himself, not least his preparation for, and early morning run with Ali. It's a time of history in Zaire where the many tribes a held in check by the dictator Mobutu - intelligent as well as ruthless, vain leader. You get a sense of the forces that fuelled the anarchy in Zaire/Repub of Congo. There are the many anecdotes from and about the Ali and Foreman camps, there is a sense that the story is live in the telling - that Mailer is writing a diary of eve nts as they unfold, rather than a recording of events after the fight. There is the fabulous exchanges with [[George Plimpton]]. There is an evaluation of the embracing of Islam by black Americans, well before the racism and fear the religion feeds now. And finally, there is an excellent observation which I intend to absorb as one of my own - when Mailer writes 'To be trapped in the middle of three seats in Economy on the nineteen hour flight from Kinshasa to New York .... Had to be one of the intimate clues life offered of suffering after death.

I am in awe of Mailer's intelligence and turn of phrase! ( )
  tandah | Feb 15, 2013 |
Okay, I tried reading this...and I found the subject interesting (I've liked boxing since I was young), but the style of writing by Norman Mailer just irritated me. I finally had to put it down, based only upon the way it was written. Too bad.
  fuzzi | Sep 17, 2011 |
Mo-o-o-o-o-ommy!
THERE IS ALWAYS a shock in seeing him again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375700382, Paperback)

There are sporting events that transcend the world of sports, and the 1974 heavyweight title fight in which Muhammad Ali regained his crown by improbably kayoing George Foreman in the middle of the African night was certainly one of them. Metaphorically, it was a writer's dream: two imposing black warriors, one all grace, the other brute force, one the iconoclast, the other the blind patriot, battling each other. Fatefully, the appropriate writer threw his pen into the ring. Norman Mailer's masterful account goes far beyond the ropes to capture the primal ethos of the sport, the larger social canvas this particular fight was drawn on, and the remarkable cast of personalities--not the least of which is Mailer himself--who converged to make this "Rumble in the Jungle" a landmark in sports history and a clear knockout in Mailer's journalistic portfolio.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

To Foreman, Ali now said, 'You have heard of me since you were young. You've been following me since you were a little boy. Now, you must meet me, your master!' '

Legacy Library: Norman Mailer

Norman Mailer has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Norman Mailer's legacy profile.

See Norman Mailer's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141184140, 0141041846, 0143566318

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible