dismiss

Strata by Terry Pratchett

Strata (original 1981; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

THE COMPANY BUILDS PLANETS. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads, 'End Nuclear Testing Now', doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...… (more)
Member:Yfandes
Title:Strata
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (2005), Edition: New Ed, Mass Market Paperback

Strata by Terry Pratchett (1981)

English (31)  French (2)  Polish (1)  All languages (34)
Another early Pratchett, brimming with promise, full of creativity and ideas, haphazardly and incompletely realized. For the Pratchett aficionado, however, witnessing the birth of Discworld is priceless. As the story moves from sci-fi to fantasy, Pratchett obviously had more fun with the fantasy parts. And the rest is history... ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
It was interesting to read a Terry Pratchett book that isn't set in Discworld. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
That's more like it! Reading Pratchett chronologically, I was disappointed by the first two books. They were funny, but chaotic and disjointed. Strata wraps all the chaos and absurdity into a story which successfully holds it together, and stays strong throughout.

Through a set of circumstances, a human planet-builder meets up with two aliens. Without being given that much of a choice they find themselves at a place which really shouldn't exist. Strange stuff ensues.

Strata does the wonderful British thing of being funny without seeming like it tries to be funny, and consists of a sci-fi, fantasy story with nuggets of wonderful absurdity and understated jokes throughout. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say much more. But unlike The Dark Side of The Sun, which had a pseudo-philosophical point which was really just silly, Strata concludes on a note which is actually quite profound. At least to me. There are also interesting points scattered throughout which made me stop for a second to think about them.

By Strata it seems like Pratchett had found his groove, and this is only on his third book. I look forward to continuing reading through the groove. ( )
1 vote clq | Apr 29, 2017 |
I feel as if I've been given a peak down the other leg of the Trousers of Time into a world where Sir Terry decided Discworld should be science fiction rather than fantasy. Strata is a hodgepodge of various science fiction tropes mixed together with a generous helping of irreverence. Set mainly on a disc world*, the story is basically about a planet builder traveling around this impossible planet trying to figure out how the hell it works. Truth be told, it's not a terribly good book**, but it has so much in it that obviously was recycled into the Discworld series that I can't help but feel a deep affection for it.

*But not the Discworld

**Although I've read far worse ( )
  amanda4242 | Feb 6, 2017 |
If you ever wondered how Discworld came into existence [I mean, was God having an off day or something?], this is the book for you.

It is a science fiction book, much along the same lines as [b:The Dark Side of the Sun|181010|The Dark Side of the Sun|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327962500s/181010.jpg|583642], especially in that Pratchett's humor is noticeably toned down, to almost non-existent.

This was not a funny" book. There were instances of humor, but overall it wasn't one rollicky joke after another.

Interesting to read, and if you are Discworld crazy, or a complete'ist, you'll have to read this. Otherwise, put it on your TBR list near the bottom." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I met a mine foreman who has a piece of coal with a 1909 gold sovereign embedded in it. I saw an ammonite, apparently squashed in the fossil footprint of a sandal.

There is a room in the basement of the Natural History Museum which they keep locked. Among other oddities in there are the tyrannosaurus with a wristwatch and the Neanderthal skull with gold fillings in three teeth. What are you going to do about it? -Dr. Carl Untermond, The Overcrowded Eden
It was, of course, a beautiful day - a Company brochure day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible