Strata by Terry Pratchett

Strata (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:RowBean
Title:Strata
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:St. Martin's Press (1981), Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science fiction, short, fiction, discworld, creationism, unintelligent design

Strata by Terry Pratchett (1981)

Recently added byushatten, jenucht, mollymortensen, pvreeburg, StKnut, markbell, tripofmice, private library

English (21)  French (2)  Polish (1)  All languages (24)
This is an adventure in which world builder Kinn finds herself visiting a world shaped like a disc. Along with her two companions and a curious corvid, they set about trying to discover its secrets and finding a way home. ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Mar 23, 2014 |
An interesting early Pratchett SF novel. It's partly his spin on Niven's 'Ringworld,' partly alternate history, with a little bit of Discworld mixed in. Not perhaps as polished as some of his best work, but his trademark wit is apparent. I'm not a big fan of the reveal, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  wjohnston | Feb 23, 2014 |
Not really a Discworld story, but an object about the size of the Disc is found by a world construction team. The world is surrounded by a sphere containing the heliocentric solar system pre Copernicus. It's run by clockwork, is inhabited by almost recognizable human groups, and is running down. Our heroes try to save it. Original publication date is 1981. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 22, 2013 |
Strata by Terry Pratchett was a quick but entertaining read. It's about a company that manufactures planets much like Magrathea from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The main character is contacted by a stranger who claims to have found a flat planet seeks to hire her to investigate this flat "discworld". She joins up with this stranger and other crew members on an expedition to explore this planet to try to determine how it was built and by whom.

It's been many years since I read this book so most of it was like reading it for the first time. There were some bits I remembered though and laughed at them just as much as I did the first time. I especially liked the ending. I don't recall if I was as surprised by the ending the first time I read the book since it was so long ago, but it really wasn't what I was expecting and I thought it was very clever.

On the whole I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. The disc planet in this book is not the same one that is featured in the Discworld series, but it gives you a glimpse into how Pratchett first came up with the concept of Discworld, so I like to consider it a sort of unofficial prequel to the series.

The only thing that bothered me about the book was that there were some parts where it felt like events weren't quite in order, especially towards the end. Eventually I figured out that this was due to flashbacks and it wasn't immediately clear that's what was happening as I was reading it. It's possible this is just due to the way my ebook is formatted, but I don't feel like digging out my paper copy to thumb through it and check. ( )
  Kythe42 | Aug 2, 2013 |
Just finished reading it a couple days ago. As (almost) all of Pratchett's books, it's a great read. Not as hilarious as the rest, but fairly well written.

More than anything else, I felt it was a missed opportunity. Pratchett's plot was never that obvious. And the book is too existentialistic by half.

The characters have a lot of unrealized potential. Each of Silver, Marco, and Kin Arad, could have been a masterpiece. The Strata machine concept has great potential as well.

Bottom line: I did enjoy it, but of all Pratchetts, this one is among the bottom 4 (which are still better than most, mind you. Pratchett set a very high standard for himself.
  eitan.hess | Jul 17, 2012 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was, of course, a beautiful day - a Company brochure day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0552133256, Mass Market Paperback)

THE COMPANY BUILDS PLANETS. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads, 'End Nuclear Testing Now', doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:52 -0400)

The Company builds planets. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After 21 decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilised plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard that reads "End Nuclear Testing Now", doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came a discovery of something that did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible