Strata by Terry Pratchett

Strata (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:RowBean
Title:Strata
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:St. Martin's Press (1981), Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science fiction, short, fiction, discworld, creationism, unintelligent design

Strata by Terry Pratchett (1981)

Recently added byTurtleStampede, m0nhawk, momnrod, private library, chiarain, celaneus, getrus, chsteiger

English (22)  French (2)  Polish (1)  All languages (25)
Kin Arad is in charge of resurfacing a new planet for colonization when Jago Jalo shows up and spins a slightly fantastical tale. Being extremely curious to know if any of it is true she decides to take him up on his offer of visiting a world which is flat.

When showing up at the place and time mentioned, she is thrust into a situation she never imagined. It involves a Kung who thinks he is human and a Shand who is quite civilized, considering the species. They eventually make their way to the planet after the untimely death of Jago.

While on the planet they run afoul of the native people on numerous occasions, but eventually find their way to the center and discover who the maker of the flat world is.

A superbly written novel with a hint of satire. While the story is engaging and interesting;the real world problems it pokes fun at are still as revelant today as when it was written thirty years ago.

With this as the base for his early writing there seems to be no question as to why Pratchett has had so much success with his Discworld novels. After finishing this I feel that the rest of his work can only be better and look forward to many hours of entertainment. ( )
  getrus | Mar 20, 2015 |
This is an adventure in which world builder Kinn finds herself visiting a world shaped like a disc. Along with her two companions and a curious corvid, they set about trying to discover its secrets and finding a way home. ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Mar 23, 2014 |
An interesting early Pratchett SF novel. It's partly his spin on Niven's 'Ringworld,' partly alternate history, with a little bit of Discworld mixed in. Not perhaps as polished as some of his best work, but his trademark wit is apparent. I'm not a big fan of the reveal, but I enjoyed it. ( )
  wjohnston | Feb 23, 2014 |
Not really a Discworld story, but an object about the size of the Disc is found by a world construction team. The world is surrounded by a sphere containing the heliocentric solar system pre Copernicus. It's run by clockwork, is inhabited by almost recognizable human groups, and is running down. Our heroes try to save it. Original publication date is 1981. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 22, 2013 |
Strata by Terry Pratchett was a quick but entertaining read. It's about a company that manufactures planets much like Magrathea from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The main character is contacted by a stranger who claims to have found a flat planet seeks to hire her to investigate this flat "discworld". She joins up with this stranger and other crew members on an expedition to explore this planet to try to determine how it was built and by whom.

It's been many years since I read this book so most of it was like reading it for the first time. There were some bits I remembered though and laughed at them just as much as I did the first time. I especially liked the ending. I don't recall if I was as surprised by the ending the first time I read the book since it was so long ago, but it really wasn't what I was expecting and I thought it was very clever.

On the whole I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. The disc planet in this book is not the same one that is featured in the Discworld series, but it gives you a glimpse into how Pratchett first came up with the concept of Discworld, so I like to consider it a sort of unofficial prequel to the series.

The only thing that bothered me about the book was that there were some parts where it felt like events weren't quite in order, especially towards the end. Eventually I figured out that this was due to flashbacks and it wasn't immediately clear that's what was happening as I was reading it. It's possible this is just due to the way my ebook is formatted, but I don't feel like digging out my paper copy to thumb through it and check. ( )
  Kythe42 | Aug 2, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was, of course, a beautiful day - a Company brochure day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0552133256, Mass Market Paperback)

THE COMPANY BUILDS PLANETS. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads, 'End Nuclear Testing Now', doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:52 -0400)

The Company builds planets. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After 21 decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilised plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard that reads "End Nuclear Testing Now", doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came a discovery of something that did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,255,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible