Strata by Terry Pratchett

Strata (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:RowBean
Title:Strata
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:St. Martin's Press (1981), Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:science fiction, short, fiction, discworld, creationism, unintelligent design

Strata by Terry Pratchett (Author) (1981)

English (28)  French (2)  Polish (1)  All (31)
I feel as if I've been given a peak down the other leg of the Trousers of Time into a world where Sir Terry decided Discworld should be science fiction rather than fantasy. Strata is a hodgepodge of various science fiction tropes mixed together with a generous helping of irreverence. Set mainly on a disc world*, the story is basically about a planet builder traveling around this impossible planet trying to figure out how the hell it works. Truth be told, it's not a terribly good book**, but it has so much in it that obviously was recycled into the Discworld series that I can't help but feel a deep affection for it.

*But not the Discworld

**Although I've read far worse ( )
  amanda4242 | Feb 6, 2017 |
If you ever wondered how Discworld came into existence [I mean, was God having an off day or something?], this is the book for you.

It is a science fiction book, much along the same lines as [b:The Dark Side of the Sun|181010|The Dark Side of the Sun|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327962500s/181010.jpg|583642], especially in that Pratchett's humor is noticeably toned down, to almost non-existent.

This was not a funny" book. There were instances of humor, but overall it wasn't one rollicky joke after another.

Interesting to read, and if you are Discworld crazy, or a complete'ist, you'll have to read this. Otherwise, put it on your TBR list near the bottom." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I reread this one today. It's been years. It's about a disc world, but it's not the same discworld. This one is science fiction. It's a bit earlier than Terry Pratchett's justifiably acclaimed fantasy series, but you can see some of the same ideas here. I recommend it. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Well, I don't know what to say. I'm finding that I'm not as much of a fan of Pratchett as I thought I was, so don't trust anything I say about him. But just to say something, I will say here that I liked this book better than some of the Discworld books I've read. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Strictly speaking, this book is science-fiction, but the original discworld pops up in it. This early Terry Pratchett, very quick moving, a little incoherent, and without the moralizing of the later books. Fun, and kind of clever, but pointless. ( )
  themulhern | May 19, 2016 |

Pratchett, TerryAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I met a mine foreman who has a piece of coal with a 1909 gold sovereign embedded in it. I saw an ammonite, apparently squashed in the fossil footprint of a sandal.

There is a room in the basement of the Natural History Museum which they keep locked. Among other oddities in there are the tyrannosaurus with a wristwatch and the Neanderthal skull with gold fillings in three teeth. What are you going to do about it? -Dr. Carl Untermond, The Overcrowded Eden
It was, of course, a beautiful day - a Company brochure day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0552133256, Mass Market Paperback)

THE COMPANY BUILDS PLANETS. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After twenty-one decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilized plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard which reads, 'End Nuclear Testing Now', doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came discovery of something which did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:47 -0400)

The Company builds planets. Kin Arad is a high-ranking official of the Company. After 21 decades of living, and with the help of memory surgery, she is at the top of her profession. Discovering two of her employees have placed a fossilised plesiosaur in the wrong stratum, not to mention the fact it is holding a placard that reads "End Nuclear Testing Now", doesn't dismay the woman who built a mountain range in the shape of her initials during her own high-spirited youth. But then came a discovery of something that did intrigue Kin Arad. A flat earth was something new...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,500,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible