The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett

The Dark Side of the Sun (original 1976; edition 1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:raak
Title:The Dark Side of the Sun
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Adult (1988), Paperback

The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett (1976)

English (23)  Polish (1)  All languages (24)
This is one of the earliest of Pratchett's works that I own, and oh, does it show. The cleverness of language, characterisation and world building that came as the stories of the Discworld developed and matured is sadly lacking. It is a very clever story, but in that way that reminds me of first and second year philosophy students -- enough ideas to chew over, but not enough to have worked out how to present them well.

It is also possibly the most explicitly sf of Pratchett's stories that I've read so far. Set in a over the top 'everyone is watching you' far future space-opera dystopia, it had echoes of Harry Harrison's 'Stainless Steel Rat' series without the redeeming features. I was completely unable to invest in the setting, I really never warmed to any of the characters (in fact, none of them ever really felt like people, which was a surprise from Pratchett).

And while it was a pleasant read, I couldn't help the twin thoughts: 'other people have done this better', and 'there were better ways to spend that time' ( )
  fred_mouse | Apr 27, 2019 |
Gosh fellas, I just haven't been up to writing reviews lately. I am damn far behind. There's very little left in my head of the impressions I got from the story beyond the story itself. It was slight, but good.

Going into 'The Dark Side of the Sun', I knew what to expect. I've read enough of Pratchett's non-Discworld books to understand how his skewed humor and perspective translates outside that world. I also remember how the earliest 'Discworld' novels felt, so I figured the potential and the serendipitous coming together of his plot characters would be fuzzy.

I wasn't wrong. But I didn't care. It wasn't really funny or fully-fleshed out (the ancillary characters might have been posts), but it was very readable and enjoyable, especially spotting the elements that would be incorporated in to Discworld. I wouldn't recommend it as straight soft sf novel, but I would to curious fans interested in how Pratchett developed as a writer. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is clearly early Pratchett: the ideas run rampant, too much is happening, and while mildly humorous, it lacks the wit and wisdom of later works. Yet I found it refreshingly creative and fun. It is really a YA novel - a teenage boy is seeking the secrets of the galaxy while pursued by murderous killer robots. Light and fun. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This story has occasional nods to the rest of the fantasy world Pratchett built up for Discworld, but this is a sci-fi novel and not located in or near Discworld. In this book time and probability are in flux, as a young man goes off on a quest to find the world where a mysterious and ancient race went after peppering part of the universe with life and occasional, odd towers and other artifacts. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
written back in '76, this is one of Pratchett's pre-Discworld novels. BUT. So many of the names and ideas from discworld were in this novel. Basically, a young man finds the creators of the known universe, the Jokers, who are now little lizards on his homeworld. It was a crazy story with huge jumps from point to point. A serious precursor to Discworld. Pratchett wrote one little book and then expanded it to a whole series and called it the Discworld :-) ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Only predict.' Charles Sub-Lunar, from The Light In The Sky Are Photofloods
In the false dawn a warm wind blew out of the east, shaking the dry reed cases.

Dom Salabos has a lot of advantages. As heir to a huge fortune he has an excellent robot servant (with Man-Friday subcircuitry), a planet (the First Syrian Bank) as a godfather and a security chief who even runs checks on himself; and on Dom's home world even death is not always fatal. Things just couldn't be better. Why then, in an age when prediction is a science, is his future in doubt?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Dom Salabos had a lot of advantages. As heir to a huge fortune, he had a robot servant (with Man-Friday subcircuitry), a planet (the First Syrian Bank) as godfather, a security chief who even ran checks on himself, and on Dom's home world even death was not always fatal. Why, then, in an age when prediction was a science, was his future in doubt?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible