The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett

The Unadulterated Cat (original 1989; edition 2002)

by Terry Pratchett, Gray Joliffe (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Unadulterated Cat
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Gray Joliffe (Illustrator)
Info:Orion (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) (2002), Hardcover, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:Terry Pratchett, Humor, Comedy, Satire, Essays, Non-Fiction, Animals, Cats

The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett (1989)

English (18)  Polish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (21)
I've been in a funk the past few days. One of my contract jobs came to an abrupt end this week. It's one of those things that happen that have nothing to do with the job or the person doing it (thank god). A board somewhere off in the distance made an accounting decision.

So for the foreseeable future I work two fewer days a week. I'm VERY lucky that this isn't a crisis; MT is barely fazed by it. But it's put me in a spin because to me, those two days represent my ability to BUY ALL THE BOOKS. Not really, of course, but they did give me the mental freedom of being able to ask "do I really want this book?" rather than "can I afford this book?". This angst then makes me feel guilty because so many people have much bigger, legitimate problems. So, a funk.

Enter The Unadulterated Cat - a book I didn't even know existed before Tannat read and reviewed it, and I had it sitting on my coffee table freshly arrived in the post. Deep in my funk, firmly planted on my couch with a cat almost permanently attached to my lap, it was the book I could reach without upsetting anyone's status quo.

I'm awfully glad I did; it starts off slow, and I thought I'd gotten a clunker, even if it was written by Pratchett, a Grand Master of British dry wit. But then I got to the section on Illnesses and I laughed so hard Easter-cat (she who was trying to be one with the lap) turned around and chastised me. Of course, when Pratchett is describing the joys of pilling a cat, he was describing Easter-cat, so she might have been feeling a tad self-conscious.

From that point on, it was a giggle-fest, with me bookmarking several sections to make my husband read when he got home. The book not only made me forget my petty worries for a bit, but made me laugh to the point of tears. (Some of those footnotes...) That's what books are for, right? And this one did its job admirably. So, thank you to Tannat for bringing this book to me at the right time, even if you had no idea you were doing it. ;-) ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
I like cats. I've liked plenty by Pratchett. This just didn't do anything for me - too flippant & casual iirc. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I first heard of Terry Pratchett’s book, THE UNADULTERATED CAT, about 10 years ago and I’ve wanted to read it ever since. A very large local indie bookstore that I frequent always has a used copy listed as available but I’ve never seen it on the shelves in the section it is supposed to be in, so apparently they don’t do physical inventories very often. *hint hint* Methinks someone absconded with the copy a long time ago. I gave up and bought a fine copy from a used book dealer several states away.
The book is an amusing look at ‘real’ cats and what separates them from those highbred ones you see at cat shows. This short book is a departure from Pratchett’s usual fare, as he is the author of that wonderful Discworld fantasy series. Here Pratchett teams up with Gray Jolliffe (as illustrator). The chapters have headings such as ‘How To Get a Cat’, ‘Naming Cats’, and ‘The Real Cat and Children’ and they are all fully illustrated.
My favorite chapter has to be ‘Games Cats Play’. You’ve seen some of them, like Cat Chess, where outdoor cats find spots where they can see at least two other cats. Pratchett explains that we don’t know the rules, but there they are. Something only the cats know.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t as amusing as I had expected. It is nothing at all on par with the Discworld series. I’d only recommend this for Terry Pratchett purists who must own a complete collection of his writings. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Not as much fun as the Campaign for Real Ale and the sort of volume that the Campaign for Real Books would seek to ban, but still occasionally amusing. ( )
  Lukerik | May 17, 2015 |
The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett is an amusing commentary on the behavior of cats and how the author feels that some cats are more real than others and gives a comprehensive guide on how to tell a real cat from an unreal one along with some hypothetical musings. This was a fun quick read and I especially enjoyed all of the references to Schrodinger's cat. I also thought it was hilarious that some of the "real" cats that the author seemed to be describing seemed very much like the cat Greebo from his Discworld series. This is a must read for cat lovers and you might even enjoy it even if you're not a cat person like me, but are still exposed to cats enough to be familiar with their behavior. ( )
  Kythe42 | Dec 16, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniele, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jolliffe, GrayIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All right, all right.
Time to come clean.
Despite the fact that
this book clearly states
that cats should have short names
you don't mind yelling
to the neighbourhood at midnight,
The Unadulterated Cat
is dedicated to:
Oedipuss.
They don't come much realer.
Far too many people these days have grown used to boring, mass-produced cats, which may bounce with health and nourishing vitamins but aren't a patch on the good old cats you used to get.

The Unadulterated Cat is becoming an endangered species as more and more of us settle for those boring mass-produced cats the ad-men sell us - the pussies that purr into their gold-plated food bowls on the telly. But the Campaign for Real Cats sets out to change all that by helping us to recognise a true, unadulterated cat when we see one. For example: real cats have ears that look like they've been trimmed with pinking shears; real cats never wear flea collars ...or appear on Christmas cards ...or chase anything with a bell in it; real cats do eat quiche. And giblets. And butter. And anything else left on the table, if they think they can get away with it. Real cats can hear a fridge door opening two rooms away ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible