Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett

Only You Can Save Mankind (original 1992; edition 2006)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Twelve-year-old Johnny endures tensions between his parents, watches television coverage of the Gulf War, and plays a computer game called Only You Can Save Mankind, in which he is increasingly drawn into the reality of the alien ScreeWee.
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Only You Can Save Mankind
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages
Collections:2016, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult, fiction, virtual reality, e.t., video games, history, culture, war, 1990s, series: johnny maxwell

Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett (1992)

English (32)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
Great idea for a book. Started out awesome but kind of fell flat at the end. Very cool idea, I wish he went somewhere interesting with it. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
Clever.

Read it back when I working really hard to appreciate the love my friends have for Pratchett, don't remember it now. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I'm so sorry I discovered my first Terry Pratchett book two months after he passed away. I would have loved to sit down with him and discuss the concept of this book, which is even more pertinent today than at the time of the first Gulf War when he wrote it.

Soldiers are being trained now more than ever through use of computer simulations, and their sensitivity is being etched away by hours and hours of computer war games. The "Collateral Murder" scandal that was depicted in the 2011 documentary "Incident in New Baghdad" involved a trigger happy helicopter crew who literally mowed down a group of unarmed civilians, including journalists and children, all the while making jokes and laughing -- as if they were a group of friends playing a computer game.

I can identify with the feeling of helplessness that Pratchett likely felt as he wrote this story while watching the first Gulf War unfold on his television screen, like a computer game. Who will stop this madness? IF NOT YOU, WHO ELSE? ( )
  benderca | Feb 8, 2016 |
I picked this up because it was a Terry Pratchett I hadn't read, or even really heard of. I only knew Terry Pratchett from Discworld. And, in light of Recent Events, I wanted a new Terry Pratchett read, to make me laugh.
The story of young Johnny Maxwell playing a video game where the aliens got rather more... interactive... than he was expecting, suited nicely. It reminded me of things like E.T., where the driving force is kids being goofy, in the face of possibly aliens and the need to save the world. I also had a passing thought about Ender's Game. Probably easy to see why: a young boy thrust into the role of savior of humankind, facing a moral dilemma about the humanity of aliens set against the actions of warring humans. But, I think Ender's Game would suffer by comparison. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is ostensibly about a boy who finds that his computer game has become real but what it's really about is the stupidity of war and what drives us to it. It's not the greatest novel ever written; it's essentially ham-strung by the central conceit, but the cleverness with which it delivers its message (and a few good jokes) make up for this. ( )
  Lukerik | May 17, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mitchley, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scutt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Mighty ScreeWee™ Empire™ is poised to attack Earth!Our battleships have been destroyed in a sneak raid!Nothing can stand between Earth and the terrible vengeance of the ScreeWee™!But there is one starship left... and out of the mists of time comes one warrior, one fighter who is the last Hope of Civilisation!YOU!YOU are the Savior of Civilisation. You are all that stands between your world and Certain Oblivion. You are the Last Hope.Only You Can Save Mankind!™Action-Packed with New Features! Just like the Real Thing! Full-Color Sound and Slam-Vector™ Graphics!Suitable for IBM PC, Atari, Amiga, Pineapple, Amstrad, Nintendo. Actual games shots taken from a version you haven't bought.Copyright 1992 Gobi Software, 17834 W., Agharta Drive, Shambala, Tibet. All Rights Reserved. All company names and product names are registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies.The names ScreeWee, Empire and Mankind are trademarks of Gobi Software 1992.
Yet another one for Rhianna
Johnny bit his lip, and concentrated.
You never said to your parents, "Hey I need a computer so that way I can play Megasteroids." No, you said, "I really need a computer because of school". It's educational.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible