Equal Rites (Discworld Novel) by Terry…

Equal Rites (Discworld Novel) (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Title:Equal Rites (Discworld Novel)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Adult (1987), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 282 pages

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    ijustgetbored: To find out what becomes of Esk.
    Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett (bethielouwho)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (pwaites)
    pwaites: Tiffany Aching is similar in many ways to Esk.
    Arky Types (Methuen Modern Fiction) by Sara Maitland (BeckyJP)

English (143)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (153)
I've been rereading Discworld, intending to do so in no particular order. Order, however, has imposed itself. After rereading the "Industrial Revolution" thread, and the later books in the "Watch" thread, I've returned to the "Witches." I reread Equal Rites last night. Granny Weatherwax, in this first appearance, is already a strong and well developed character. Unfortunately, we never see Eskarina again or any other female wizards at Unseen University as far as I can recall.

So why am I rereading Discworld? Because, despite the large number of new books available, I have yet to find a fictional world I enjoy visiting more than the Disc.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
My second ever Discworld novel, this one started out strongly with a lot great humour and some great one-liners, but it sort of petered out for me about mid-way.

The wizard Drum Billet knows that he will soon die and travels to a place where the eighth son of an eighth son is about to be born, but the newborn child is actually a girl, Esk. Billet notices his mistake too late, and the staff passes on to her. But a female wizard is something completely unheard of on the Discworld...

It's a good thing Esk is only 9 years old because if she were any older she'd be too stupid to live, but as a 9 year old, she's just precocious. Granny Weatherwax is... ok, I have to admit I didn't love Granny Weatherwax as much as I expected I would. I think her disdain for basic literary skills turns me off a little bit; I know that makes me sound like a sourpuss, but there it is. I loved her gumption and her pragmatism and I admired her refusal to take crap from anyone. Not to mention her ability to level someone with just her Look.

As I mentioned, the book lost steam for me mid-way; if it had been shorter by about a third I think I'd have enjoyed it more. The whole journey to the Unseen University felt endless to me, although things picked up once Granny and Esk arrive.

Still, Pratchett's weakest book is still a better book than just about most anyone else's best and I'm definitely interested in reading the "better" Discworld books. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 11, 2016 |
Con esta relectura he recordado por qué abandoné Mundodisco y me pasé a Discworld... Muerte hablando en minúsculas nada más empezar el libro ¬¬
Por suerte, más adelante mejoraron las traducciones.

Por lo demás, como siempre, brujas y Mundodisco WIN :) ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
As always, there’s an touch of real-world satire in the goings-on of Discworld. Too bad the humor’s about what you’d expect from a book with a pun in the title. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
A very enjoyable (re)read, but not vintage Pratchett, as he has not yet climbed to the heights he was to scale later in the Discworld series.
When Pratchett really works, you cannot quote small sections, as it is the overall effect that warms your cockles. However his genius can be glimpsed in quotes such as:
‘What’s an elephant?’ ‘A kind of badger,’ said Granny. She hadn’t maintained forest-credibility for forty years by ever admitting ignorance.

The whole panoply of the universe has been neatly expressed to them as things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. This frees the mind from unnecessary thoughts and gives it a cutting edge where it matters. Your normal animal, in fact, never tries to walk and chew gum at the same time.

He had the kind of real deep tan that rich people spend ages trying to achieve with expensive holidays and bits of tinfoil, when really all you need to do to obtain one is work your arse off in the open air every day. ( )
  CarltonC | Jun 24, 2016 |

Кирби, ДжошCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible