Equal Rites (Discworld Novel) by Terry…

Equal Rites (Discworld Novel) (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:djScrawl
Title:Equal Rites (Discworld Novel)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Adult (1987), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 282 pages
Rating:*****

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

English (111)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (120)
One of Terry Pratchett's early discworld novels that I only just got round to reading because it was on the Kindle. Hilarious, and laugh out loud funny in places. Forgotten how addictive these books are. Difficult to put down. Didn't give it five stars as the story was a little sparse but loved the characters. ( )
  LindaLiu | Sep 24, 2014 |
I've only recently started reading the Discworld books and I'm trying to read them in order, so this is the 3rd book I've read in the series. I think Terry Pratchett has a great way with words and does an excellent job pointing out stupid things without actually calling people stupid.

In this book, hidden in the name he makes a stand about gender equality and he points out many of the things that people use to keep things separate. Great book, lots of humor and humour and I plan to continue reading the series! ( )
  readafew | Sep 8, 2014 |
Girrrl power! I've avoided reading Discworld books for so long but now I'm finally dipping my toe in, Im enjoying his humor a lot.
The first book 'The Colour of Magic' I wasnt completely enamoured with, however it was quoteworthy and funny enough to make me want to try more if slower. After reading a review about the witches series I tried this one and I have to say the story is a lot less confusing and the humor madly ridiculous.
Granny Weatherwax Absolutely love this, will definitely be reading more, excellent read ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I guess this is just not my thing. I can see why other people would like it, but for me, the humor is a bit too much in your face and gets in the way of the story. I do like Granny, and I suppose Esk, but I would have liked them better in a more serious book. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jun 30, 2014 |
The third book of Discworld introduces the reader the female view of the magic in "Equal Rites" through the unexpected transference of wizard magic to a baby girl named Esk. Once the story really gets going, Granny Weatherwax takes Esk under her wing to help teach her witchcraft and hoped it would help the little girl figure out how to understand wizard magic. With all her good intentions, Granny decides Esk needs help from the Unseen University. The two leave their hometown of Bad Ass and head to Ankh-Morpork leading to very interesting adventures on the way.

Throughout the story, Pratchett gives humor to the various gender roles that Discworld (and ours by extension) assumes exist though in reality they are ridiculous especially when a little girl has wizardry magic. The pace is slow in a few places, but overall the book is a page turner as you can't wait to see what happens next and what laugh Pratchett has in store. I can't wait to see the next "adventure" Granny gets herself involved with. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jun 23, 2014 |

Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:24 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible