L'Arte Della Magia (Italian Edition) by…

L'Arte Della Magia (Italian Edition) (original 1987; edition 2010)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:Aysleen
Title:L'Arte Della Magia (Italian Edition)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:TEA (2010), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, mondo disco, ironia

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, elvisettey)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    elvisettey: To find out what becomes of Esk.
    Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett (bethielouwho)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (pwaites)
    pwaites: Tiffany Aching is similar in many ways to Esk.
    Arky Types (Methuen Modern Fiction) by Sara Maitland (BeckyJP)

English (118)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (128)
Description: A dying wizard tries to pass on his power to an eighth son of an eighth son, who is just at that moment being born. The fact that the son is actually a daughter is discovered just a little too late.

Thoughts: That is a terrible description but it's the only one I can find. Equal Rites is the third published Discworld book and the first to change the focus from Rincewind and Twoflower. Having rather enjoyed those books I was a bit nervous to see how this new series might differ, but I had nothing to be concerned about.

I had to look up a timeline to see exactly how these all related in time and found that Equal Rites takes place roughly two years after the events of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. It doesn't specifically reference any of the events of those books, but there are several similar locations and the tone of the book certainly builds upon those nicely. While the Rincewind stories focused on the nature of magic, Equal Rites looks at the ways magic is gendered. It manages a wonderful balance so that it isn't a stereotypical women's rights story but, instead, a playful look at how women have often subverted male power by cultivating their own and viewing (rather rightly) that the men are missing the point. The characters of Granny Weatherwax and Eskarina Smith are wonderful and I can't wait to spend more time with them in other Witches books.

My only complaint about this one is that the last section is too brisk. (What is up with my needing to use that descriptor so much lately?) The early sections are so nicely paced and given space to grow but the action in the last 1/3 seem to rush to the conclusion. It's all wonderful stuff it's just too quick and I felt cheated out of some experience.

Highly recommend!

Rating: 4.1

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4.5
Writing: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5133005 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books. I loved this book, and Esk.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Equal Rites is the third Discworld book and may actually be a good one to start the series on. While the previous two books were primarily satires of the fantasy genre, Equal Rites is the first Discworld book where Pratchett begins to satirize the real world. Other good books to start with are Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, or Small Gods.

In Equal Rites, a dying wizard passes along his powers to the eighth son of an eighth son, who is currently being born. Only, the son turns out to be a daughter, making Eskarina Smith a female wizard. Only, women who practice magic are supposed to be witches not wizards…

Essentially, Pratchett’s challenging and playing with the magic and gender dichotomy, where if women have magic at all, it is entirely separate from (and often viewed as inferior to) men’s magic. This is what annoyed me about the first Earthsea book so much. Esk is a young girl determined to be who she is, no matter what people tell her she should be, but she lives in a world where “she could sense doors being slammed before she had barely begun to open them.” Esk is a very sympathetic protagonist, a nine year old girl who’s just trying to find her own way.

“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don’t apply to you.”

This is also the first book featuring Granny Weatherwax, a major character in the series. Here Granny is a mentor of sorts for Esk. Originally, Granny is bent on teaching Esk witch craft and keeping her from becoming a wizard. But then Granny realizes: is she doing this for Esk or for herself? From then on, Granny is going to help Esk get into the Unseen University, and woe to any wizard who tries to stop her.

What’s remarkable is that this still one of the weaker Discworld novels that people tend to forget about, which really tells you something about the series as a whole. I’d recommend this one to… well, pretty much everyone. Certainly for anyone looking for humorous fantasy or fantasy centering around female characters.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 16, 2015 |
The third instalment in the Discworld series. This is the first book that doesn't have Rincewind the fumbling wizard. I enjoyed this story even though it's quite simple and didn't particularly have anything special to note. I enjoyed the Granny Weatherwax character and hope to see her in other stories down the road. ( )
  briandarvell | Feb 24, 2015 |
Continuing my read-through of Pratchett's Discowrld novels....I'm so glad to see the world start to broaden beyond the first two books. It's clear that he took a big step back with this one, assessed what he would like to do with this series, and decided to just cast as broad a net as he could. I don't remember Granny Weatherwax from my sporadic readings in Discworld, but she's a classic Pratchett character. Sharp, unexpected, and full of slightly sideways moments presented matter-of-factly. She's a model for women everywhere. "I can see you are getting ideas below your station." Indeed, Granny. Indeed. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |

Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible