Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Equal Rites (original 1987; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:johndoe7776059
Title:Equal Rites
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2000), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Recently added byCpikemobile, Cat1978, bjoelle5, private library, patty_hayes, PTallion, Schlachter, schesser
    I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    ijustgetbored: To find out what becomes of Esk.
    Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett (bethielouwho)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (pwaites)
    pwaites: Tiffany Aching is similar in many ways to Esk.
    Arky Types (Methuen Modern Fiction) by Sara Maitland (BeckyJP)

English (133)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (143)
Much different than the first two books! I'm really getting used to these exquisite characters and their adventures through the Discworld, never stopping in one place for long. Pratchett often introduces me to lands and creatures that I'm taken with immediately, and I want to say, "no no! go back!!" because I don't want their scenes to end. Luckily he has so many books that I have the opportunity to see everyone again...
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Esk is given a wizard's staff by mistake. Granny Weatherwax disapproves, but realises Esk is destined to wizardry (an entirely male domain on the Discworld) so she takes her to the Unseen University. One of the earliest of the Discworld books, but a plot I always enjoy, with plenty of humour. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett - Very Good

Now I get it! Everyone told me I would like Terry Pratchett and I thought I would too, but my OCD dictates I read books in order and I found The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic kind of meh. It's taken me just over 5 years to have another go, the impetus has being the author's sad demise and the fact that I was given all the books on kindle.

This book is a totally different kettle of fish to the first two. Different Discworld characters and much more engaging. The humour was more obvious too or maybe more my style. Now I don't know if that's because the author had matured into his style by book three, or because the characters suited me better or whether I am just in the right mood now. Regardless, the story of Esk and Granny Weatherwax and Esk's quest to become a female Wizzard was glorious and I shot through it in a couple of days.

Will definitely be reading the rest and the next one won't be waiting on the (kindle) shelf for another five years before I do.
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Females can't be wizards. Everyone knows that.
What happens when a baby girl is gifted with wizardly powers and sets off to seek her fortune (which girls aren't supposed to do either).
Fun, early Discworld. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
My partner recommended this book to me because he loves this author, so I finally decided to give it a read. While this book didn't have a lot of shocking moments in it it was one of those great books that kept me interested in it the entire time. This was a wonderful book.

It was interesting to see these characters develop from the first moment to the end of the book in ways that I hadn't expected. I had never read Terry Pratchett before this, but if this is what he does I am very interested in reading more of the Discworld series. His humor is very much on par with what I want to read as well. He took all the things that I expected to happen in a fantasy book and said nope that isn't going to happen but THIS IS and as a result I fell in love with this book. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,218,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible