Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Equal Rites (original 1987; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:johndoe7776059
Title:Equal Rites
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2000), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Recently added byjjames2342, private library, rnbwpnt, Randulf, twtud, chriscg88, Kindleifier, Dilvich
    I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    ijustgetbored: To find out what becomes of Esk.
    Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett (bethielouwho)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (pwaites)
    pwaites: Tiffany Aching is similar in many ways to Esk.
    Arky Types (Methuen Modern Fiction) by Sara Maitland (BeckyJP)

English (136)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (146)
This book is labeled as the 1st book in the Witches subseries and it did have a slightly different feel from the previous two Discworld books. There was still a good bit of humor, but it seemed far less ridiculous than in the previous two books. Either that, or I’m just immune to the ridiculousness of it all now. :) I thought the humor enhanced the story rather than creating a distraction from the story as in the earlier books.

On the other hand, I thought the story was a bit generic. In the Discworld, men and women each have their own place within the magical world. Women with magical skills can be witches, but never wizards. Likewise, men can’t be witches. They each practice a different type of magic, appropriate to their assumed temperaments. Witches practice more earthy magic combined with psychology. Wizards practice a more traditional magic and they consider it to be superior, more powerful, and more intellectual. You can probably now see the pun implied by the title. Our story focuses on two characters – an older witch, Granny Weatherwax, and a young girl, Eskarina, who has the stereotypical latent (or sometimes not-so-latent) special powers that make her different. Granny serves as a slightly reluctant but loyal mentor for Esk and tries to prevent her from getting into too much trouble.

I did really like both main characters, especially Granny, but I wasn’t always that invested in their story. It seemed a little predictable, like something I’d more-or-less read many times before. Despite that, there were still plenty of unique Discworldic(?) elements to spice things up, and plenty of humor, so I did still enjoy it. I’m interested in learning more about the witches, so I’m looking forward to the future books in this subseries. The next Witches book, Wyrd Sisters, is the 6th on my list.

I have one comment that I have to put in spoiler tags. It’s a major spoiler for the first two Discworld books and a minor spoiler for this book.
The Unseen University in this book seemed almost like an entirely different university from the one we saw in the first two books. Cutangle, for being such an important person in charge, wasn’t mentioned once in the previous books and, in general, the environment seemed quite a bit less cutthroat than it had in the Rincewind books. There wasn’t any mention of Rincewind who, last we saw, had pretty much placed himself in charge of getting things set to rights because there was hardly anybody left to do it after the events he’d been involved in. Most of this could probably be explained away one way or another, but I would have enjoyed seeing some small references to the previous books. ( )
  YouKneeK | May 7, 2016 |
Perhaps I should have rounded up -- after all, it did manage to keep me interested enough to finish it in a single day! I liked Granny Weatherwax & Esk but I didn't find this one as amusing as the City Watch or Luggage ones. And surprisingly, I missed the footnotes! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 18, 2016 |
I find that I enjoy Pratchett's books about witches slightly more than those about wizards but this one has both and it is thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Much different than the first two books! I'm really getting used to these exquisite characters and their adventures through the Discworld, never stopping in one place for long. Pratchett often introduces me to lands and creatures that I'm taken with immediately, and I want to say, "no no! go back!!" because I don't want their scenes to end. Luckily he has so many books that I have the opportunity to see everyone again...
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Esk is given a wizard's staff by mistake. Granny Weatherwax disapproves, but realises Esk is destined to wizardry (an entirely male domain on the Discworld) so she takes her to the Unseen University. One of the earliest of the Discworld books, but a plot I always enjoy, with plenty of humour. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,808,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible