Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Equal Rites (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Info:Signet / New American Library (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 254 pages
Collections:Fantasy/SciFi, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Discworld, Read, Reviewed, Own

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

20th century (30) British (52) comedy (119) comic fantasy (45) Discworld (1,386) ebook (48) English (38) fantasy (1,981) feminism (58) fiction (871) funny (33) Granny Weatherwax (68) humor (880) magic (134) novel (97) own (43) paperback (47) parody (43) Pratchett (247) read (159) satire (171) science fiction (110) series (114) sf (40) sff (96) to-read (43) unread (36) unseen university (37) witches (286) wizards (137)

English (106)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (114)
3.5 stars Originally posted at FanLit.

When a wizard on the Discworld knows he??s about to die, he passes on his staff and magical powers to the eighth son of an eighth son who is being born at that time. So, thatƒ??s what the wizard Drum Billet does just before his death ƒ?? he passes on his powers to the baby whoƒ??s just been born to the Smith family. But nobody notices in time that Eskarina Smith is not a boy... Several years later Esk realizes sheƒ??s got some uncontrollable powers so she, along with her friend Granny Weatherwax, the local witch, sets out to find her place in a world where women do not have equal rights.

Equal Rites is the third book in Terry Pratchettƒ??s DISCWORLD series and the first in which Rincewind the cowardly wizard is not the protagonist. Though the focus here is on Eskarina, the first female wizard on the Discworld, the real star is Granny Weatherwax, the indomitable witch who features more ... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/equal-rites/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Funny but mot as good as he later became. Worth a read. ( )
  jerhogan | Feb 21, 2014 |
I adore all of Pratchett's work, but my favourite books by far are the ones involving Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. Fun, intelligent, exciting and funny. And I'm sure I'm not the only Pagan who tries to emulate a touch of Esme Weatherwax in their approach to work. Or Nanny Ogg in their approach to the fun parts of life! ( )
  Bunnymazonas | Dec 27, 2013 |
I really liked this book. I wish I didn't need to write a review on it since my thoughts on it are disjointed and chaotic but I'm doing it for a challenge that needs a review. So remember that no matter what rambling direction this review takes, I really liked this book.

My history with Pratchett is a weird one. I read [b:Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch|12067|Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327875267s/12067.jpg|4110990] longer ago than I care to remember. I loved it. But somehow I tranfered all that love to [a:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg], maybe because I'm shallow and have always been a sucker for that floppy, dark hair([ai:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg]). Anyway, I read (and enjoyed) a ton of Gaiman books after that. But didn't pick up a Pratchett for a very long time. Then I tried to read [b:The Color of Magic|34497|The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168566155s/34497.jpg|194190]. I tried a couple of times and just could not get into it. But then I hear, don't start at the beginning, it's not that good. And then I find This awesome guide to discworld reading orders. And then I read [b:The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)|34494|The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) (Tiffany Aching #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1284280817s/34494.jpg|62580] and loved it, even though I'm not a particular fan of YA. I am a fan of wordplay, satire and dry British humor so I knew I wanted to read more in the series. So now here I am.

After Wee Free Men I was intrigued by Granny Weatherwax so I decided to start on the "Witches" track. Equal Rites is the first book in the Witches series and after reading Wee Free Men, you can see that Granny is not quite as formed a character here. But I still love Granny. She's confident and brave and dispenses sage advice that sounds like meaningless drivel. Here she's mentoring Esk, a young girl given the power of a wizard accidentally at birth. Accidentally because women aren't wizards, they're witches. So Granny does the best she can to teach Esk witchery but really can't help her with her wizard's power. I could easily write an essay here on the wonderful way Pratchett incorporates traditional High (wizard) and Low (witch) magics. But I won't...

The other reason this spoke to me was the fact that I was reading it this week in the US and it deals greatly (though with great humor) with gender expectations and politics. I could again write a diatribe on it but given all the talk about "legitimate" rape and the fundamental assault on women's rights that have occurred in this country since this book was written...but...well...I won't...

So, what about the actual book. Not as full of wordplay as Wee Free Men, there were still puns aplenty to find. Wonderful, silly nuggets of wisdom abound and Esk & Granny find them selves on quite the adventure. It was full of sentences that I read both for the humor and for the subtle wisdom - “She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.” - being just one.

Long story longer, I'm sold. I may go back and one point to read the first two but really, from here, I'm excited to move forward. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Кирби, ДжошCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

paperback, fine (as new)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:24 -0400)

"The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in theI chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-bom baby's sex..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible