Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (2011)

by Amy Chua

1,015None8,365 (3.58)64

English (91)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (94)
WOW! I love Amy Chua! I love the way she dreams BIG for her children. She does not accept mediocrity. She just wants what's BEST for her children. She is very motivated, just very INTENSE. If you disapprove her parenting style then just look at her 2 children. Her children are very succesful and confident. I would love to have kids like her.I wouldn't do what Amy Chua is doing but she has good advices She did it right so for the haters out there: STOP HATING AND FOCUS ON BRINGING UP YOU CHILD AND IF YOU'RE NOT YET A PARENT THEN FOCUS ON IMPROVING YOURSELF TO BECOME A BETTER PARENT SOMEDAY. . ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 3, 2014 |
3.5 stars.

This was an extremely fast read and a fascinating one too. I think when you distill the general ideas down the theories are not half bad and not too far from my own parenting philosophy. Children can rise to big expectations especially if as a parent you are there in support them every step of the way. Don't get me wrong there was some extreme examples in the writing - but I can't imagine the book selling otherwise.

I give Chua huge credit for putting herself out there with this piece. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I know this book caused a lot of uproar in the States but I actually really liked it. I don't agree with everything that Amy did but I also think there are plenty of good lessons to learn from. I only gave the book 4 1/2 stars because I thought it was a little thin and disjointed in places. ( )
  eesti23 | Jan 31, 2014 |
I thought I wouldn't be overly interested this book, being that it has to do with child-rearing and I don't have kids, but I found it to be both entertaining and thought-provoking. ( )
  KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
Amy Chua's memoir of parenting, BATTLE HYMN OF THE TIGER MOTHER, is another book my daughter gave me, one of those books I'd have probably passed over. But it's a damn good book. I'm not going to say much, because I know there's already been plenty written about this book, and I suspect the author has been thoroughly excoriated by many parenting experts as well as righteous regular parents for her methods of "Chinese parenting" and also for her criticism of lax, lazy Western parenting. The thing is, I tend to agree with most of what Chua says. I mean look at her results: two super accomplished talented daughters, who I suspect still love their mom in spite of all her rigid disciplinary methods, etc. There's a line in the book that sums up what Chua has done with her girls, when a woman friend tells her:

"But you've given your girls so much ... A sense of their own abilities, of the value of excellence. That's something they'll have all their lives."

And the woman is absolutely right. I've always been a bit leery of parents who want to be 'pals' with their children. Let kids make their own friends; what they need are parents.

Bottom line: this is a brutally honest look at an exceptional family and how they got to be that way. Oh, and one more thing - Amy Chua is an extremely talented writer. Highly recommended. ( )
  TimBazzett | Jan 1, 2014 |
...Amy Chua's unexceptional memoir about her dedication to raising children who excel...
added by atbradley | editThe Guardian, Terri Apter (Jan 29, 2011)

“There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids’ true interests,” Amy Chua writes. She ought to know, because hers is the big one: “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” a diabolically well-packaged, highly readable screed ostensibly about the art of obsessive parenting. In truth, Ms. Chua’s memoir is about one little narcissist’s book-length search for happiness. And for all its quotable outbursts from Mama Grisly (the nickname was inevitable), it will gratify the same people who made a hit out of the granola-hearted “Eat, Pray, Love.”

Parenting and child psychology take up most of the self-help book genre, stressing the point that every parent must develop their own creative and suitable ways to deal with their child.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother stands out from its genre contemporaries, as author Amy Chua delves right into the techniques she used to raise her own genius daughters, who are very lucky. Why? Because they're Chinese! Yes, the author aims at educating the unfortunate rest of the world on how to raise their kids to be more like the genius race that is the Chinese.

Chua believes that the Chinese race is superior because of the mothers’ tough parenting techniques: for example, the Chinese mother considers an A- grade a bad grade, never compliments her kids in public, and only allows them to participate in activities from which they’ll win a trophy or medal; and it must be gold.

The controversy that this book has caused has been mainly down to how the author compares the know-it-all 'Chinese mother' to the typical good-for-nothing 'Western mother'. That being said, the book itself is very captivating, divided into stories and anecdotes that are both educating and suspenseful, with organized profiles on her family. Her controversial theory, however, may jar with parents who do not fall in line with the author’s ideals.

It’s important to remember that everyone has their own parenting methods. So, if you come out with just one thing from this book, it may be that if having no social life, being forced into hobbies, and being under constant pressure to score the best grades is what it takes for a kid to be genius, then perhaps it’s not worth it after all.

It’s easier to read the book as an autobiography than as a self-help book; that way you can enjoy the mother’s thoughts on her daughters’ upbringing and the methods that she used. That way, the book won’t ruffle your feathers or come across as condescending to those who might be in the firing line of the straight-talking Chua.

A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids.
What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it.
I can't tell you how many Asian kids I've met who, while acknowledging how oppressively strict and brutally demanding their parents were, happily describe themselves as devoted to their parents and unbelievably grateful to them, seemingly without a trace of bitterness or resentment.

I'm not really sure why this is. Maybe it's brainwashing. Or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome. But here's one thing I'm sure of: Western children are definitely no happier than Chinese ones.

Traces the rewards and pitfalls of a Chinese mother's exercise in extreme parenting, describing the exacting standards applied to grades, music lessons, and avoidance of Western cultural practices.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible