Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (2011)

by Amy Chua

Recently added byaerobama, private library, Bookluvr1989, cupocofe, MayaTripsa, Benedict8, MomsterBookworm

English (95)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (98)
This book got tons of press and was much discussed in terms of the "mommy wars" and I'm a bit confused why. Yes, this book is written by a mother who describes her views on parenting, pitting the "chinese way" versus the "western way". Now, I am never going to make my son practice the violin for 6 hours a day, even on vacation, or refuse to let him go to sleepovers or playdates, but I didn't feel like I was being lectured about how to parent while reading this book. That was what I was expecting, but actually, even Chua finds that her idea of parenting, though working brilliantly for her oldest daughter, does not work for her youngest. I saw this more as a memoir/autobiography book than the parenting advice book I was expecting. Actually, even though I don't subscribe to her parenting tactics, I thought the book was pretty funny. She doesn't really end it very well (and admits it) - after all, her kids are only teenagers still, so she can't say "you should do what I did, my kids turned out great" because we don't really know that yet. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it. It's short and funny as long as you don't take it too seriously. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 24, 2014 |
I think this is a very interesting case study in raising children.

It is the autobiography of a Chinese mother raising two daughters "the Chinese way." Which is to be demanding, so utterly demanding of excellence: nothing less than an A grade, or perfection in musical studies. There is are no play dates allowed or generally playing around that most kids do today. And there is simply no talking back to parents. The author tells about her eldest daughter being the most dutiful and perfect child. The second girl was quite rebellious and more difficult to raise in the Chinese way.

The author is a Yale professor of law, who found time to raise two daughters to be musical and scholastic over, overachievers.

An article on this book appeared in the Wall Street Journal. Last time I looked, it had gathered over 4,000 comments by readers of the article.

Most Westerners and third generation Chinese thoroughly disagree with Ms. Chua's version of childrearing. However, she attests her children had a lot of input on what she wrote, and that they now totally, almost totally, appreciate the way she brought them up. Amy Chua said this is amazing to Western parents who typically complain about how ungrateful their children are.

One important point in the book was that the reason you hate a school subject is because you are not good at it. And if you are forced to get through to the point you are good at the subject, you will then suddenly find you like the subject very much.

Coincidentally, I have just finished The Chosen One by Chaim Potok, which has been a very popular book in its day where the story is about intensive, demanding Jewish life for children. There is a lot less verbal combat in this book, but the point is the same: Excellence in study and very hard work now gives you freedom for life.

There are probably two main viewpoints a reader can get from these two books so far as education is concerned: one, is to be grateful not to have endured That, and, two, to have been pushed to greater levels of accomplished while young. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
The way the story flows is much like a concerto that she makes her daughters practice. The first part has a lighter, funnier, and (relatively) more easy-going tone -- the 'comedy' part, if you will. The second part has a slower, more somber tone due to the recounting of the heavy-handedness which she trains her children. In the last part, the tone picks up again, but with a greater, heavier urgency coupled with the franticness of the battle of wills between the author's younger daughter and herself. Love it or hate it, is the verdict after reading this book. OK, for some, there is the middle ground of skepticism as to whether such a rigid upbringing of a child has been (over) embellished.
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Incredible that such a thoughtful and self-aware book could come to be viewed so widely as a polemic. In fact, Chua is as critical of her own parenting style as one could possibly be expect a parent to be. As she reveals in the Afterword, in China, her book was viewed as advocating giving children greater freedom. For an American living in China and aware of the failings of both systems, Chua's story is a valuable example of a truly caring mother who, in the end, does her best to suss out the best of both. But apart from Asian and American culture, it's also a poignant, funny, and surpassingly honest story about parenting itself. ( )
  Audacity88 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Hilarious, perceptive, thought provoking, worth reading by anyone with children or anyone with a parent. I 90 percent agree with Eve that the coverage of this as a "parenting manual" is misguided and that Amy Chua is somewhat ironic, very self aware, honest about the failures of her parenting philosophy, and somewhat self mocking.

One representative passage, about her seven year old daughter not sufficiently practicing a difficult piano piece:

"I threatened her with no lunch, no dinner, no Christmas or Hanukkah presents, no birthday parties for two, three, four years. When she still kept playing it wrong, I told her she was purposely working herself into a frenzy because she was secretly afraid she couldn't do it. I told her to stop being lazy, cowardly, self-indulgent and pathetic. Jed [her husband] took me aside. He told me to stop insulting Lulu--which I wasn't even doing, I was just motivating her." ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
...Amy Chua's unexceptional memoir about her dedication to raising children who excel...
added by atbradley | editThe Guardian, Terri Apter (Jan 29, 2011)

“There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids’ true interests,” Amy Chua writes. She ought to know, because hers is the big one: “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” a diabolically well-packaged, highly readable screed ostensibly about the art of obsessive parenting. In truth, Ms. Chua’s memoir is about one little narcissist’s book-length search for happiness. And for all its quotable outbursts from Mama Grisly (the nickname was inevitable), it will gratify the same people who made a hit out of the granola-hearted “Eat, Pray, Love.”

Parenting and child psychology take up most of the self-help book genre, stressing the point that every parent must develop their own creative and suitable ways to deal with their child.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother stands out from its genre contemporaries, as author Amy Chua delves right into the techniques she used to raise her own genius daughters, who are very lucky. Why? Because they're Chinese! Yes, the author aims at educating the unfortunate rest of the world on how to raise their kids to be more like the genius race that is the Chinese.

Chua believes that the Chinese race is superior because of the mothers’ tough parenting techniques: for example, the Chinese mother considers an A- grade a bad grade, never compliments her kids in public, and only allows them to participate in activities from which they’ll win a trophy or medal; and it must be gold.

The controversy that this book has caused has been mainly down to how the author compares the know-it-all 'Chinese mother' to the typical good-for-nothing 'Western mother'. That being said, the book itself is very captivating, divided into stories and anecdotes that are both educating and suspenseful, with organized profiles on her family. Her controversial theory, however, may jar with parents who do not fall in line with the author’s ideals.

It’s important to remember that everyone has their own parenting methods. So, if you come out with just one thing from this book, it may be that if having no social life, being forced into hobbies, and being under constant pressure to score the best grades is what it takes for a kid to be genius, then perhaps it’s not worth it after all.

It’s easier to read the book as an autobiography than as a self-help book; that way you can enjoy the mother’s thoughts on her daughters’ upbringing and the methods that she used. That way, the book won’t ruffle your feathers or come across as condescending to those who might be in the firing line of the straight-talking Chua.

A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids.
What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it.
I can't tell you how many Asian kids I've met who, while acknowledging how oppressively strict and brutally demanding their parents were, happily describe themselves as devoted to their parents and unbelievably grateful to them, seemingly without a trace of bitterness or resentment.

I'm not really sure why this is. Maybe it's brainwashing. Or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome. But here's one thing I'm sure of: Western children are definitely no happier than Chinese ones.

Traces the rewards and pitfalls of a Chinese mother's exercise in extreme parenting, describing the exacting standards applied to grades, music lessons, and avoidance of Western cultural practices.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible