Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Amy Chua

Member:wonderbook
Title:Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Authors:Amy Chua
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:A Non-Fiction

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua (2011)

English (111)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All (114)
This was surprisingly funny and I only felt like a slacker parent about half the time. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
As a book, it's just okay. As a conversation piece, it's a must-read. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Interesting and thought provoking book. I don’t know whether to admire this woman or hate her. As a parent of a grown child, I feel like such a selfish failure. How much more wonderful would my child have been if I had been this sort of drill sergeant über-father. This book makes me want to be very defensive now—I was not as strict parent, and my child and I enjoyed his growing up period, and he is not in therapy. Still, it is kind of hard to argue against success. The author’s two daughters are A students, and musical prodigies. My son was not an A student and he was not a musical prodigy, but we live healthy normal lives. There are no free lunches in this world. The author produced two exceptional daughters, but I have to question the price she paid. I suspect most of us are unwilling to pay this price. ( )
1 vote ramon4 | Sep 13, 2016 |
This book made me somewhat uncomfortable. On the one hand, it is a tribute to Asian parents and the exceedingly high standards their offspring achieve in our Western culture educational systems. On the other hand, this is an autobiography of an Asian author/mother who is obsessed with her children being the very best among all competitors - a true "helicopter" parent who denied her daughters the ordinary freedoms of being children among their peers. To no one's surprise, things unravel and results are not all what Chua intends.

As with politics and religion, many fail to recognize moderation between the extremes. I appreciate the candid sharing of parenthood, but it leaves the reader with a rather bitter "Western culture" taste. The writing is OK, nothing special. ( )
  mldavis2 | Jul 20, 2016 |
Amy Chua succeeds in demonstrating how hard-work, perseverance, discipline and one’s track mind pursuit of one’s objectives pay off. It is true. We can see in people and in nations like Germany and South Korea. It is also true that many kids are raised today without proper guidance and stimulation to succeed. Parents are fearful of raising kids. Some are terrified. Everything that can go wrong to a person is blamed on their childhood and upbringing. I think Amy Chua loves her daughters and wants them to succeed. The methods she uses to achieve this aim is questionable and presents many drawbacks: is she raising her daughters to play the instruments and symphonies perfectly but is she instilling in them the imagination to ever create an instrument or a symphony themselves? China is not exactly leading the way when it comes to creativity or advancement of technologies. Amy Chua also defines success - very narrowly - is attending an Ivy League university and being an academic the ultimate success? What percentage of the world’s population have access to that? The ones who did not get in are unsuccessful? However, my main problem with the book is that fundamentally I think Amy Chua seems to be seeking fame and fortune, a celebrity status. ( )
  Acia | Apr 26, 2016 |
...Amy Chua's unexceptional memoir about her dedication to raising children who excel...
added by atbradley | editThe Guardian, Terri Apter (Jan 29, 2011)

“There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids’ true interests,” Amy Chua writes. She ought to know, because hers is the big one: “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” a diabolically well-packaged, highly readable screed ostensibly about the art of obsessive parenting. In truth, Ms. Chua’s memoir is about one little narcissist’s book-length search for happiness. And for all its quotable outbursts from Mama Grisly (the nickname was inevitable), it will gratify the same people who made a hit out of the granola-hearted “Eat, Pray, Love.”

Parenting and child psychology take up most of the self-help book genre, stressing the point that every parent must develop their own creative and suitable ways to deal with their child.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother stands out from its genre contemporaries, as author Amy Chua delves right into the techniques she used to raise her own genius daughters, who are very lucky. Why? Because they're Chinese! Yes, the author aims at educating the unfortunate rest of the world on how to raise their kids to be more like the genius race that is the Chinese.

Chua believes that the Chinese race is superior because of the mothers’ tough parenting techniques: for example, the Chinese mother considers an A- grade a bad grade, never compliments her kids in public, and only allows them to participate in activities from which they’ll win a trophy or medal; and it must be gold.

The controversy that this book has caused has been mainly down to how the author compares the know-it-all 'Chinese mother' to the typical good-for-nothing 'Western mother'. That being said, the book itself is very captivating, divided into stories and anecdotes that are both educating and suspenseful, with organized profiles on her family. Her controversial theory, however, may jar with parents who do not fall in line with the author’s ideals.

It’s important to remember that everyone has their own parenting methods. So, if you come out with just one thing from this book, it may be that if having no social life, being forced into hobbies, and being under constant pressure to score the best grades is what it takes for a kid to be genius, then perhaps it’s not worth it after all.

It’s easier to read the book as an autobiography than as a self-help book; that way you can enjoy the mother’s thoughts on her daughters’ upbringing and the methods that she used. That way, the book won’t ruffle your feathers or come across as condescending to those who might be in the firing line of the straight-talking Chua.

A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids.
What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it.
I can't tell you how many Asian kids I've met who, while acknowledging how oppressively strict and brutally demanding their parents were, happily describe themselves as devoted to their parents and unbelievably grateful to them, seemingly without a trace of bitterness or resentment.

I'm not really sure why this is. Maybe it's brainwashing. Or maybe it's Stockholm syndrome. But here's one thing I'm sure of: Western children are definitely no happier than Chinese ones.

Traces the rewards and pitfalls of a Chinese mother's exercise in extreme parenting, describing the exacting standards applied to grades, music lessons, and avoidance of Western cultural practices.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,784,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible