A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French

A Tiny Bit Marvellous (2011)

by Dawn French

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend (djryan)
    djryan: Epistolary comedies set in the English midlands. Many humour, such funny.

English (43)  Dutch (4)  All (47)
I was shocked at the bad language and thought until about chapter 2 or 3 why the hell am I reading this trash. However, I think it was most candidly written and so deserves merit for that. It made me laugh only once - it made me cry more than once at the duplicity and stupidity of the writers - still we're all human and have to deal with a lot of muck in our lives.
Definitely not for children or vulnerable young people to read - too much homosexuality for that. Could possibly be adapted into a very funny play or something like that. ( )
  justmum | Feb 22, 2017 |
Good writing and funny too, but fairly routine plot. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This book had it all for me. Funny, boring and annoying. Found this quite funny in places with Mo, then annoyance with Dora, where I just wanted to slap her. Oscar was the parts I found a bit boring and couldn't wait to get back to Mo. Near the end of the book is where I couldn't put it down, just wish it was like that all the way though. Maybe I was expecting to much from Dawn. Loved the ending that made the book for me. ( )
  s.a.l | Jun 24, 2015 |
A tale of a disfunctional modern British family. Mo, the mother, is a child psychologist having difficulty dealing with her own teenaged children and teetering on the edge of midlife. Dory is the seventeen year old daughter and Peter (who wants to be called Oscar) the younger son. ( )
  Pferdina | Dec 30, 2014 |
Loved the voices of the characters and the for real feeling of their life situations. Plus, it is howlingly hilarious with a touch of pathos. Wonderful. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
It’s all a bit unconvincing: Richard Curtis minus verve. Sprinkling Dora’s chapters with the phrase ‘so, like’ is so, like hardly Salinger, and a couple of references to Melanie Klein do not Mo a child-psychologist make. But French has such a tender and tolerant attitude towards the problems of growing up and growing old that this book just about deserves a pat and a biscuit.
added by ddematthews | editThe Spectator (Oct 23, 2010)

Between yesterday and tomorrow
There is more, there is more than a day.
Between day and night, between black and white
There is more, there is more than grey.
For the best mum. My mum. Roma.
My mother is, like, a totally confirmed A-list bloody cocking minging arsehole cretin, cockhead of the highest order.

The story is told through the eyes of a mother and her two teenage children. There's seventeen-year-old Dora, a stroppy teenager who's just come out of her first relationship (it lasted a whole six weeks) and who's longing to escape to university; her long-suffering mother, Mo, a child psychiatrist who's baffled by the antagonist behaviour of her children; and sixteen-year-old Peter, who prefers to be known as Oscar due to his obsession with Oscar Wilde. Written in diary format, with each chapter narrated by a different voice, this is a hilarious, sharp and utterly compelling novel about the ups and down of family, sibling rivalry and growing up.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dawn French's book A Tiny Bit Marvellous was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141964448, 0141046341

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,416,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible