Of Thee I Sing by Barack Obama

Of Thee I Sing (2010)

by Barack Obama

Other authors: Loren Long (Illustrator)

I respect Obama more after reading this story. You can just tell how much he truly loves and adores his daughters. I find it comforting to know that the president of our country has so much love in his heart for his family!
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
Of Thee I sing, A letter to my daughters by Barack Obama is wonderful and informative book. I liked this book because of the language and how the content is factual. The language is written in a pattern. The author starts each page with “Have I told you that you are (adjective)?” For instance, “Have I told you are inspiring?” I also enjoyed this book because of how it is educational. In the book the author states the adjective and then on the following page he describes the adjective given by using a historical figure as a model. In one case the author used kindness and Jane Addams. “Have I told you that are kind?” and then the author provides Jane Addams as an example of kindness because she fed the poor and help them find jobs. I think the main message of the story is to inspire students. I also think another purpose of this book is to education students about important figures in history. ( )
1 vote Rosalindd | Sep 30, 2015 |
I liked this book for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, this book highlighted many of Americas most famous and influential people. Each page had a brief passage about a leader in America, and what they accomplished (George Washington, Albert Einstein, MLK, Neil Armstrong, Georgia O’Keefe… etc.) Additionally, this book encompassed people of all different status, gender, race, ability, and culture, with their one common factor being success. I think that’s important for students to know that regardless of where you come from or what you look like, everyone is capable of doing influential things. I also liked the organization of the book. On every page, the left hand side asks a question to the reader centered on an adjective. For example, “Have I told you that you are an explorer?” The corresponding page on the right hand side has a passage about a specific persons accomplishments that directly relate to the adjective on the left hand side. To continue the pervious example, “A man named Neil Armstrong was the first to walk on the moon. He watched the world from way up high…” The passage about Neil Armstrong explains what it means to be an explorer. This is helpful to the readers, as the students can use context clues to figure out what the adjective on the left hand side means if they do not already know. The low level of biographical detail is appropriate, for the reason being that the purpose of this book is not to give an in depth biography about these select people, but to explain that the traits these powerful men and women possess are in all of Americas children as well. The main idea of this book, which is supposed to resemble a written letter, is to tell children that they share the characteristics with some of America's most influential people. The author (Barack Obama) wants the readers to know that their potential is boundless. ( )
  Abeckl1 | Sep 13, 2015 |
The President truly loves his daughters and is very comforting knowing that we have a president that has so much love in his heart and can see that love comes first in his life and I really respect that.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 9, 2014 |
I have read the book and you can see just how much President Obama loves his daughters. It is shared within the book and how he expresses his love for each of them. This is a great book for dad all over the world to sit and read to their daughter or daughter and it will start a conversation with father and daughter and relationships. This give you hope on keeping your dreams alive. ( )
  bhuger1 | Oct 19, 2014 |
Obama appears to have turned away all help with the writing of his children's story: The book reads like it really is a letter from a very busy dad-president - no rhythm, no rhyme, no rat-a-tat-tat. What's a children's tale without a fancy step or two? "Of Thee I Sing" sadly has no melody.

Barack Obamaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Long, LorenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Michelle-- whose fierce love and daily good sense have norished such wonderful daughters. --B.O.
To my sons, Griff and Graham. --L.L.
Have I told you lately how wonderful you are?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037583527X, Hardcover)

Take a Look Inside Of Thee I Sing
Click on the photos below to view the full spreads from the book.

You Are Part of a Family
You Have Your Own Song
You Are a Healer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:25 -0400)

"In this tender, beautiful letter to his daughters, President Barack Obama has written a moving tribute to thirteen groundbreaking Americans and the ideals that have shaped our nation. From the artistry of Georgia O'Keeffe, to the courage of Jackie Robinson, to the patriotism of George Washington, President Obama sees the traits of these heroes within his own children, and within all of America's children"--Book jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible