Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by…

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Barack Obama, Loren Long (Illustrator)

Member:valhang
Title:Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters
Authors:Barack Obama
Other authors:Loren Long (Illustrator)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Multicultural, Inspirational, Children's Literature, Wishlist
Tags:obama, racial, equality, leader, role model

Of Thee I Sing by Barack Obama (2010)

Recently added byMeFi_Library, CarpeLibrum58, private library, e-zReader

The message of the book is the importance of embracing the past in order to better our future. I am surprised I have never heard of this book until now. He tells great stories about how much he loves his daughters. He loves their company, their smiles, the sound of their feet and so much more. I love the style of writing and many similes used. He compares using like or as, for example, he says they are as brave as Jackie Robinson, smart land imaginative like Albert Einstein and goes on comparing his daughters to many other famous people. The warmth as he the book has no negativity is what I like about the book. The book is simply about how much love he has for his kids. He does tho, mention the importance of past historical figures and the importance of them in todays world and how all was down for America and we the people must continue to do so. I enjoyed the connection to history and how he mentions the diversity of people such as Caser Chavez and the impact everyone has had on American today. ( )
  BryanLabastida | Oct 8, 2018 |
I initially picked up this book because on the cover I saw the words "A letter to my daughters". Then, the name of the author further sparked my curiosity. I knew I would like the message because Barack Obama is such a kind, caring person, and he speaks with such grace. His voice is strong and warm, at the same time. As he tells his daughters all about what he sees in them, he compares them to powerful individuals in history that possessed these same qualities. The images go hand-in-hand with the words. I don't have daughters, but I AM a daughter and this book touched me. Being raised in a biracial home, I have always felt a sense of pride when people of mixed heritage dedicate their lives to making the world a better place. I love hearing anything Barrack Obama has to say, as I know he is a fair person who has fought against injustice. I think this book was sweet, and I also like the information in the back. Of course I am familiar with Albert Einstein, Abe Lincoln, MLK, and Cesar Chavez. However, two of the people mentioned were ones I had never heard of. I was happy to learn about Maya Lin and Sitting Bull. ( )
  denisebarry | Sep 25, 2018 |
"Of Thee I Sing" by Barack Obama is a great book that encourages and honors diversity in terms of religion, ethnicity, race, and more. It takes his daughters on a walk through history to see so many amazing people that did things that used to be unheard of. An example of this is Jackie Robinson who was the first African American to play major league baseball. Or Neil Armstrong who was the first person to walk on the moon. In the end it talks about how America is made up of so many different, unique, and strong people which is what makes America, America. I really love this book because no matter what household it's in children can find someone like them in this book. It welcomes and celebrates all diversity and I feel like it's a really powerful book to read to young children. Young children will be more likely to think of new things they can do that they might've thought impossible before and that is amazing. ( )
  CassieHurley | Apr 14, 2018 |
This children book is heavy with meaning and strong messages directed to young children. It walks you through the achievements of thirteen life changing people. This is the picture book for all ages. It can have a variety of different meanings that can reach a wide audience. The main message of this story is to teach young children hat they can change the world with one or more of there endless talents. ( )
  DanielleLubin | Feb 19, 2018 |
This book is a letter from Barack Obama's to his daughters. The main idea of the text is to tell show the characteristics of American heroes and how his daughters and all children have the capabilities of being a hero. The book included great visuals and descriptions of each of the heroes. ( )
  ElizabethReid | Feb 18, 2018 |
Obama appears to have turned away all help with the writing of his children's story: The book reads like it really is a letter from a very busy dad-president - no rhythm, no rhyme, no rat-a-tat-tat. What's a children's tale without a fancy step or two? "Of Thee I Sing" sadly has no melody.

Barack Obamaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, LorenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Michelle-- whose fierce love and daily good sense have norished such wonderful daughters. --B.O.
To my sons, Griff and Graham. --L.L.
Have I told you lately how wonderful you are?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037583527X, Hardcover)

Take a Look Inside Of Thee I Sing
Click on the photos below to view the full spreads from the book.

You Are Part of a Family
You Have Your Own Song
You Are a Healer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:25 -0400)

"In this tender, beautiful letter to his daughters, President Barack Obama has written a moving tribute to thirteen groundbreaking Americans and the ideals that have shaped our nation. From the artistry of Georgia O'Keeffe, to the courage of Jackie Robinson, to the patriotism of George Washington, President Obama sees the traits of these heroes within his own children, and within all of America's children"--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,718,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible