The Italian Girl by Iris Murdoch

The Italian Girl (1964)

by Iris Murdoch

5041230,274 (3.18)1 / 37

English (10)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
My first Iris Murdoch novel. It's been a couple of years since I read it, and I can't say it made an impression. I do remember that I enjoyed reading it. Various members of a quirky family and the Italian girl, the housekeeper. Something about the matriarch dying, also a scene with someone dying by immolation. Hmmm. Probably should reread it, but nothing urges me to. ( )
  Marse | Sep 9, 2017 |
The death of their mother brings Edward back to his ancestral home. He discovers Otto had moved out of the house but that cousin Flora is staying in his room. "The Italian Girl" (Maggie) is the nurse who was their mother's companion and their friend. The family has way too much drama, way too much adultery, and way too many Occultic influences for my taste. It this had not been such a short book that I was reading for a challenge, I would have abandoned it. I have another Murdoch in a to be read pile at home, but I'll be adding it to a give away pile. I have no desire to read anything else by this author. ( )
  thornton37814 | Aug 4, 2015 |
Lovely writing, silly plot, complicated family, interesting philosophical musings. Overall, I enjoyed the book. ( )
1 vote janeajones | Sep 25, 2014 |
I love Iris Murdoch, but this one was a stinker. At least it was very short.
  munro | Sep 17, 2013 |
Iris Murdoch has a beautiful grasp on the written word - her prose is worth reading simply for elegance and art. That being said, I found the story itself mediocre.

There were certainly some interesting twists and unexpected revelations, but it was wholly melodramatic. In its time it was probably quite risque with its focus on passion and adultery, but the deeply philosophical tone dimmed the brilliance somewhat for me. The main character, something of an unreliable narrator, was well done and certainly deserving of praise and admiration.

I would recommend this book first to writers trying to get themselves in a good creative place, and second to readers seeking a good story. ( )
  frozenplums | May 3, 2013 |

Iris Murdochprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schalekamp, Jean A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patsy and John Grigg
I pressed the door gently.
'I think I know altogether what's going on in this house.' 'How?' 'People have loud voices. Everyone shouts a great deal here. Perhaps the pipes conduct the sound. I seem to hear everything in the kitchen.' She spoke with an extreme cat-like softness; it was the voice of the unseen observer, of the eternally silent superior servant.

Edmund has escaped from his family into a lonely life. Returning for his mother's funeral he rediscovers the eternal family servant, the ever-changing Italian girl, who was always 'a second mother'...
This particular return to mother holds some surprises for Edmond.

Edmund has escaped from his family into a lonely life. Returning for his mother's funeral he rediscovers the eternal family servant, the ever-changing Italian girl, who was always "a second mother."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Edmund has escaped from his family into a lonely life. Returning for his mother's funeral he finds himself involved in the old, awful problems together with some new ones.

Legacy Library: Iris Murdoch

Iris Murdoch has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Iris Murdoch's legacy profile.

See Iris Murdoch's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,151,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible