New Spring (A Wheel of Time Prequel Novel)…

New Spring (A Wheel of Time Prequel Novel) (edition 2003)

by Robert Jordan

Member:tamelyn521
Title:New Spring (A Wheel of Time Prequel Novel)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Unknown (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages

New Spring by Robert Jordan

Recently added byelorin, althaeria, nero64, scu83, private library, ateck, Ronald.Marcil, toubushi, symplystyc, MoxieOwl

English (43)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (46)
A great short story by Robert Jordan. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Feb 23, 2019 |
I remember being bitterly disappointed when I heard that the newest 'Wheel of Time' book would be a prequel, and, worse yet, a prequel based on a short story I had already read in the 'Legends' anthology. Remember that I was in high school at the time, and you may guess at just how deep those emotions were.

Ah, youth.

Anyway, I never read this. I never saw the need until this last reread made me realize I shouldn't leave any 'WoT' stone un-turned.

'New Spring' isn't bad, but even with my memories of the original short story grown dim over these many, many years, there wasn't much new to be gleaned from the book.

Moiraine and Lan's origins are discussed, as well as Siuan's, to a lesser extent. It was an easy read and it was fun to catch all of the cameos from later characters that we knew as Aes Sedai, darkfriends and light-sided.

I wish I could say something more positive about this, I could see how this could have lead into a whole series of prequels and side-series that complimented the main series, but as it is its just short of a waste of time.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'The Gathering Storm'

Previous: 'Knife of Dreams' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 22, 2019 |
My brother has been after me to read this series for a while now. So I finally decided to start. I really enjoyed getting to know this story! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Although written after the tenth book in the series, this is a prequal, detailing the beginning of the search for the Dragon Reborn. It is written with the same florid language and complex world as the series. If you've read the series, you'll want to read this. Some advised me to not read this before I read the tenth book, as it would spoil the story. However, I actually thought it helped and gave the character of Moiraine depth that increased my enjoyment of the series. If you are a fan of the series, read this. If you are just starting, you could read this first or after the tenth, depending on your beginning knowledge of the story. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 2, 2018 |
Pretty good. Not stellar, nor is it *required* reading for the Wheel of Time series, but it does provide some neat background on Moiraine, Lan & Siuan's earlier exploits. New Spring takes place roughly 20 years before the events of The Eye of the World. Moiraine & Siuan are Accepted in the beginning, and later tested & raised to the shawl during the events of the book. Much of the second half of the novel details how Moiraine & Lan met, and how Lan became Moiraine's warder. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet
Now and forever
A cold wind gusted through the night, across the snow-covered land where men had been killing one another for the past three days.

For three days, battle has raged around the city of Tar Valon. In the White Tower two young Accepted attend the Amyrlin Seat and her Keeper as they await word of the outcome. Purely by chance, Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche are on duty when the Keeper foretells the rebirth of the Dragon, the world's only hope of winning the fight against the Dark One.
Moiraine, Suian, Lan join
Begin fight against Dark Lord
Dragon is reborn
(islanddave)

From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power. "New Spring" related some of these events, in compressed form; New Spring: The Novel tells the whole story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,449,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible