Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics) by…

The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1859; edition 1985)

by George Eliot

Member:aluvalibri
Title:The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:George Eliot
Info:New York, N.Y.: Penguin Books--Virago Press, 1985. 91 p. ; 20 cm.
Tags:literature, 19th century, women, Britain, Virago, VMC

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot (1859)

English (11)  French (1)  All languages (12)
I did not find this to be a lovely book, but I do find that my opinion of this book remains drastically different from most L.T. readers of the book.
I thought The Lifted Veil to be quite brilliant. As I read, I felt myself looking into the man's mind and found myself to be momentarily taking on his mental persona as well. I was not bored. I was not piqued. I was not grossed out. The book did not depress me nor did it make me nervous or anxious. I was nothing but a person within another person's ill mind. There was very little within the book that was literal and not simply in his mind.
Yes, I thought it very different and as I said rather brilliant; much as I found Dracula when I read it.
Sorry ladies and gentleen of the jury. I shall, most likely, be the only one here with this opinion. But then too, I am probably the only one here who has been on a psyche ward for depression, anxiety and panic attack as well. I cannot say if that colored my reading of this book. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Aug 18, 2013 |
Page 30:
But there is no tyranny more complete than that which a self-centred negative nature exercises over a morbidly sensitive nature perpetually craving sympathy and support.

Page 43:
There is no short cut, no patent tram-road, to wisdom: after all the centuries of invention, the soul's path lies through the thorny wilderness which must be still trodden in solitude, with bleeding feet, with sobs for help, as it was trodden by them of old time.

Page 58:
Perhaps the tragedy of disappointed youth and passion is less piteous than the tragedy of disappointed age and worldliness.

Page 63:
Our sweet illusions are half of them conscious illusions, like effects of colour that we know to be made up of tinsel, broken glass, and rags.

Page 64:
When people are well known to each other, they talk rather of what befalls them externally, leaving their feelings and sentiments to be inferred.

Page 72:
We learn words by rote, but not their meaning; that must be paid for with our life-blood, and printed in the subtle fibres of our nerves. ( )

Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |
Ma fin est proche. Ces derniers temps, j'ai été sujet à des attaques d'angina pectoris et du train où vont les choses, si j'en crois mon médecin, j'ai lieu d'espérer que ma vie ne se prolongera pas au-delà de quelques mois. A moins que je ne sois affligé et physiquement et moralement d'une constitution exceptionnelle, je ne subirai plus bien longtemps l'odieux fardeau de cette existence terrestre. S'il devait en être autrement et que je vienne à atteindre l'âge désiré et envisagé par la plupart des hommes, je pourrais alors juger si les tourments de l'espérance déçue l'emportent sur ceux de la connaissance extra-lucide. Je prévois en effet l'heure de ma mort et le détail exact de mes derniers instants. Dans un mois jour pour jour, le vingt septembre mille huit cent cinquante, je serai assis dans ce même fauteuil, dans ce même cabinet de travail, à dix heures du soir, et j'attendrai la mort, las de cet éternel don de pénétration et de prévision, à bout d'espoir et d'illusion.

From the book cover: "Latimer, a sensitive and intellectual man, finds he has clairvoyant powers. Then he has a vision of a woman, 'pale, fatal-eyed', whom he later meets: she is Bertha Grant, his brother's fiancee. Entranced, bewildered, Latimer falls under her spell, unwilling to take heed of the warning visions which beset him. In 1859 George Eliot interrupted her work on The Mill on the Floss to write this unusual novella. Reminiscent of Mary Shelley and Mary E. Braddon, The Lifted Veil embarrassed her publishers by its exploration of the 'pseudosciences' and its publication was delayed. It first appeared in 1878, together with Silas Marner and Brother Jacob in a Cabinet edition of George Eliot's work and was not published as a single volume intil 1924. A chilling tale of moral alienation and despair, this forgotten novella testifies to George Eliot's little-known interest in the supernatural."

One of 60 low-priced classic texts published to celebrate Penguin's 60th anniversary. All the titles are extracts from "Penguin Classics" titles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible