The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics) by…

The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1859; edition 1985)

by George Eliot

Member:aluvalibri
Title:The lifted veil (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:George Eliot
Info:New York, N.Y.: Penguin Books--Virago Press, 1985. 91 p. ; 20 cm.
Tags:literature, 19th century, women, Britain, Virago, VMC

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot (1859)

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
A deep dark psycho-depressive Victorian horror novella from Eliot, with a good ambiguous touch--we never know if Latimer really has the clairvoyant sight he claims, and therefore if the veil that lifts is the one between man and true sight, or madness. It's psychologically skilled on a more mundane level as well, with the treatment of a loveless cold war of a relationship between a narcissist and a histrionic--the fear of others and yet the fear of isolation. It's minor Eliot, but it's Eliot, and that means quality. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | Oct 23, 2014 |
This is the only book I read on the train that I actually brought with me to read on the train. One of Melville House Books' Art of the Novella series, I was drawn to it as soon as I saw the author. I read Middlemarch a year or so back and absolutely loved it, but I hadn't yet read anything else by Eliot. As I am given to understand, this work both is and is not representative of her novel writing. It of course features her empathetic characterizations and high-minded idealism, but in this novella these traits are interwoven with supernatural suspense.

A pleasing, old-fashioned yet somehow modern page-turner, this story seems both to praise and condemn the veils of privacy that shield each person's heart and mind from any other. How much misery could be avoided if each couple perhaps knew each other a little better before committing to spend their entire lives together? And yet how much misery to know everything -- every thought and judgement and disappointment in another's mind?

Highly recommended. In fact, I have a friend who I may have to buy a copy for. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I did not find this to be a lovely book, but I do find that my opinion of this book remains drastically different from most L.T. readers of the book.
I thought The Lifted Veil to be quite brilliant. As I read, I felt myself looking into the man's mind and found myself to be momentarily taking on his mental persona as well. I was not bored. I was not piqued. I was not grossed out. The book did not depress me nor did it make me nervous or anxious. I was nothing but a person within another person's ill mind. There was very little within the book that was literal and not simply in his mind.
Yes, I thought it very different and as I said rather brilliant; much as I found Dracula when I read it.
Sorry ladies and gentleen of the jury. I shall, most likely, be the only one here with this opinion. But then too, I am probably the only one here who has been on a psyche ward for depression, anxiety and panic attack as well. I cannot say if that colored my reading of this book. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Aug 18, 2013 |
Page 30:
But there is no tyranny more complete than that which a self-centred negative nature exercises over a morbidly sensitive nature perpetually craving sympathy and support.

Page 43:
There is no short cut, no patent tram-road, to wisdom: after all the centuries of invention, the soul's path lies through the thorny wilderness which must be still trodden in solitude, with bleeding feet, with sobs for help, as it was trodden by them of old time.

Page 54:
The easiest way to deceive a poet is to tell him the truth."

Page 58:
Perhaps the tragedy of disappointed youth and passion is less piteous than the tragedy of disappointed age and worldliness.

Page 63:
Our sweet illusions are half of them conscious illusions, like effects of colour that we know to be made up of tinsel, broken glass, and rags.

Page 64:
When people are well known to each other, they talk rather of what befalls them externally, leaving their feelings and sentiments to be inferred.

Page 72:
We learn words by rote, but not their meaning; that must be paid for with our life-blood, and printed in the subtle fibres of our nerves. ( )
  Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |
Page 30:

Page 43:

Page 54:
The easiest way to deceive a poet is to tell him the truth."

Page 58:

Page 63:

Page 64:

Page 72:
  Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |
Give me no light, great Heaven, but such as turns
To energy of human fellowhsip;
No powers beyond the growing heritage
That makes completer manhood.
The time of my end approaches.
Less than three months after the appearance in 1859 of her first novel, the reverenced and commercially successful Adam Beade, George Eliot embarassed her publishers by sending them the manuscript of The Lifted Veil for publication in their magazine. (Afterword)

From the book cover: "Latimer, a sensitive and intellectual man, finds he has clairvoyant powers. Then he has a vision of a woman, 'pale, fatal-eyed', whom he later meets: she is Bertha Grant, his brother's fiancee. Entranced, bewildered, Latimer falls under her spell, unwilling to take heed of the warning visions which beset him. In 1859 George Eliot interrupted her work on The Mill on the Floss to write this unusual novella. Reminiscent of Mary Shelley and Mary E. Braddon, The Lifted Veil embarrassed her publishers by its exploration of the 'pseudosciences' and its publication was delayed. It first appeared in 1878, together with Silas Marner and Brother Jacob in a Cabinet edition of George Eliot's work and was not published as a single volume intil 1924. A chilling tale of moral alienation and despair, this forgotten novella testifies to George Eliot's little-known interest in the supernatural."

One of 60 low-priced classic texts published to celebrate Penguin's 60th anniversary. All the titles are extracts from "Penguin Classics" titles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible