Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies

by Isaac Marion

Series: Warm Bodies (1)

English (214)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (216)
Opening with the best kind of dry humor, this book instantly grabbed me and made want to read more. R is our zombie narrator, and we follow him as he explains what the world is now. Filled with shambling and lost zombies, R and his friends each have no memory of who they were or what really happened to them in the first place. All that has been lost in the recesses of their mind when they turned. Or has it?

We are introduced to R at the beginning, and he remains our zombie narrator the rest of the story. My favorite part about R was how different he was from the others, even in the very beginning. There was a overall humanity to him that was easy to relate to, and yes I really did find myself falling in love with a zombie. Rotting flesh and all. What Isaac Marion does is create this character that is such a part of us that, despite his undead state, you find things to relate to in him. R likes the simple joy of riding escalators, of listening to Frankie Blue Eyes, and even of just sitting in the sunshine. Even though he has no pulse, he is so endearing!

This book completely surprised me. Yes, it does contain all the typical zombie items. Eating of brains, shambling, and of course the occasional rotting flesh. However it so much more than that. At the heart of Warm Bodies is a love story of the most sincere kind. In fact I'd equate it to a bit of an old school fairy tale. It isn't always pretty, it isn't always happy, but in the end everything turns out the way it is meant to. Definitely unique, this book has successfully meshed the romance and zombie elements together in a perfect way! I cannot begin to explain how impressed I was.

Final verdict? I devoured this book with a fervor from beginning to end. A perfect mix of bittersweet romance and zombie lore, Warm Bodies is a book that is unlike any other I have ever read! R helps us to explore our own mortality and humanity, while leading us through one heck of a story line. Thank you Isaac Marion. I was able to see my beloved zombies in a whole new light and I couldn't ask for more! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
A book I first read about 4 years ago. With my hands on the novella prequel and the novel sequel, I dipped in again. First, a word on the film of the book. It’s not a bad film, but it uses the more humourous parts to convey the author’s much more visceral idea too lightly. When I first saw trailers I imagined the book to be a Young Adult ‘popcorn’ story, a jokey hoot. Do yourself a favour; if you’ve seen the film, regardless of whether you liked it, DO read the book. It’s a decidedly different experience.

With the characters of Julie and ‘R’ the setting is a modern twist on Romeo and Juliet set in a dystopian future where zombies outnumber the living. Even many of the survivors seem dead inside, imprisoned as they are behind their safety barriers. Like many zombie books this is a story that questions and reflects society, but particularly skilfully. An unexpected read the first time around, and no less pleasurable the second. The book contains threads of something dark and disturbing, yet enlightening. This book will speak to some people though not all; I hope it speaks to many. This is not a gory horror novel, not a teen Rom-com spoof. Hidden within its pages is a celebration of life in all its messiness. The story is a metaphor for so many things, the state of the world, life’s meaning, civilisation out of control. It imparts the essence of almost every zombie story and life itself. It’s a book about living. ( )
1 vote SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 7, 2019 |
(Finally) read it because I loved the movie a few years ago, but I actually preferred the movie to the book. ( )
  somegirl | Sep 16, 2018 |
Oh my gosh!! How can I possibly do justice to this beautiful, sweet, funny, amazing, deeply felt and very well-written novel? Some might mistakenly refer to is a zombie novel, but it is so much more!! Yes, _Warm Bodies_ (love the title!!) centers around zombies, but at heart it asks the provocative and heart-felt question: in the aftermath of the apocalypse, how can we tell difference between us (humans) and them (the zombies)?

"R" (or so our hero calls himself since he can't truly remember that much about his life 'before') is different than other zombies. He experiences longings and not just for 'live' food. He appreciates art and books and music (his record collection is amazing) and is capable of self-sacrifice at the expense of the young (human) woman he is slowly falling in love, the girlfriend of the man he killed during a feeding frenzy.

At times a quirky version of Beauty and the Beast or _Frankenstein_, _Warm Bodies_ is ALWAYS its own book, always tugging at your heart and your humanity and surprising you with how much you can relate to a zombie who is more human than some of us are...
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
This isn't a love story. It's a human story. It's about hope, about looking to the future, about creating a better world, and yes, it's about love too. All the things that make us human.

Wonderfully written and far better than the movie (though I quite enjoyed the movie too). Worth a read. ( )
  WeeWeegieBookworm | Mar 24, 2018 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love with a human, in this original debut novel. R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn't enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Not just another zombie novel, this is funny, scary, and deeply moving.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,426,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible