Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (edition 2011)

by Isaac Marion

Member:PawsforThought
Title:Warm Bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Atria Books (2011), Hardcover, 241 pages
Collections:To read

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (212)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (214)
Oh my gosh!! How can I possibly do justice to this beautiful, sweet, funny, amazing, deeply felt and very well-written novel? Some might mistakenly refer to is a zombie novel, but it is so much more!! Yes, _Warm Bodies_ (love the title!!) centers around zombies, but at heart it asks the provocative and heart-felt question: in the aftermath of the apocalypse, how can we tell difference between us (humans) and them (the zombies)?

"R" (or so our hero calls himself since he can't truly remember that much about his life 'before') is different than other zombies. He experiences longings and not just for 'live' food. He appreciates art and books and music (his record collection is amazing) and is capable of self-sacrifice at the expense of the young (human) woman he is slowly falling in love, the girlfriend of the man he killed during a feeding frenzy.

At times a quirky version of Beauty and the Beast or _Frankenstein_, _Warm Bodies_ is ALWAYS its own book, always tugging at your heart and your humanity and surprising you with how much you can relate to a zombie who is more human than some of us are...
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
This isn't a love story. It's a human story. It's about hope, about looking to the future, about creating a better world, and yes, it's about love too. All the things that make us human.

Wonderfully written and far better than the movie (though I quite enjoyed the movie too). Worth a read. ( )
  WeeWeegieBookworm | Mar 24, 2018 |
When I finished this book just minutes ago, I stood and watched out of my window and saw trees, cars and people. I thought what to say about it and find it hard. When I read Hunger games I was frightened because nothing in there was unbelievable. This book gave me similar feeling. Who knows where disease evolve and/or human evolutions is heading to. But don´t think it is a world ends book, it is a world begins book. And a love story also. ( )
  stiina.sild | Mar 10, 2018 |
This is a fantastic book. I watched the movie first because I thought it looked funny and now it's one of my favorite films. I decided to read the book, because as the old adage goes, "The book is always better than the movie."
Oh how that's true.
This book is a masterpiece. And this is coming from someone who is legitimately afraid of zombies. This humanized (quite literally) the zombies and their plight, while making epic comparisons to the state of survival versus living. What does it mean to be alive? What does it mean to be undead?
This book is so much more than a Romeo and Juliet zombie drama. This is so much more than the Twilight with zombies. It's about how love is what makes us human, sometimes quite liteRally.

Sorry this review is so scattered. I have too many feelings about this book to really explain them all. The best explanation would be for me to type out the whole book as my review, because no summary can really give it justice. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Feb 8, 2018 |
This book was on my wish list for so long. So I was beyond happy when it was picked for the book club I participate in. I couldn’t wait to read it, and started it as soon as I got it.

I had such high hopes for this book, and I wasn’t let down at all. The only problem I had with it, was that it wasn’t long enough. I really wish it was longer.

Warm Bodies made me so happy. I think I had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading it.

I can’t wait for book two. I hope it is just as fun and cheesy as the first. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Dec 28, 2017 |

Has the adaptation

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love with a human, in this original debut novel. R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn't enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Not just another zombie novel, this is funny, scary, and deeply moving.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,062,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible