Warm Bodies: A Novel by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Isaac Marion

Member:mem636
Title:Warm Bodies: A Novel
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Atria/Emily Bestler Books (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (213)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (215)
A zombie plague has decimated the world's population, leaving the monsters to roam the earth and humans holed up in fortified enclaves. Told from the perspective of "R," a zombie who has made his home in an abandoned airport and can no longer recall his name, the story follows what transpires after he and his undead buddies ambush and devour their way through a human recon effort they encounter -- with one exception to the carnage. For reasons R is unable to explain, given his inability to speak or think clearly, he opts to take a stunned young woman back to his airport abode.

Refreshingly, although peppered with requisite gore, Warm Bodies is not your typical zombie apocalypse novel. Although I felt the ultimate plot resolution was a bit weak, I appreciated this very different, humorous approach to the sub-genre. ( )
  ryner | Mar 13, 2017 |
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion was so boring that I got about half way through by forcing myself and gave up. I could not finish which is not like me at all. If I review a book, I finish it but I just could not torture myself any longer. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 4, 2017 |
I read this a long time ago, and it's still with me. I was surprised by how much I really liked it. Great original story in my opinion. It had everything a good story needs, death, love, humor, gore...perfect. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
R. is a zombie, shuffling slowly and relentlessly through life, thinking a lot, but barely able to speak. And then, in a raid on the living, he gets a bit of the brain of Julie's boyfriend and becomes protective of her. From there the story becomes ever more complex and filled with life, and warmth, and characters, and complexity. It's a bit like the world of Oz, suddenly glorious Technicolor after the bleak greyscale of Kansas.

I don't want to talk about the plot too much, because I'm afraid anything I could say would be spoilery. There is a change in mood and tone with the addition of Julie, and that depth is vivid after the soul-crushing start. Reading this was a delightful revelation. This is the book for people who think they don't like zombie stories. I can't wait to see what else Marion does.

Library copy. ( )

Has the adaptation

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,893,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible