Warm Bodies: A Novel by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Isaac Marion

Member:mem636
Title:Warm Bodies: A Novel
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Atria/Emily Bestler Books (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Recently added bykgthor, sreeparna, private library, lost_in_here, IrisCollins, -sunny-

English (144)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (146)
I've been going on a bit of a zombie binger this year. This book came out and I just had to have it. A zombie boy and living girl love story! Immediately it peaked my interest as to how the writer was going to pull THAT one off.

Its done really well and reads so quickly. I was sad when it was over - and I was very surprised by the direction that the story took in the end. It went in a direction that I completely did not expect.

I adored the fat zombie M. I thought that the two main characters were well done - since it went by so quickly there wasn't a whole lot of character building done on the supporting characters. There was also some questions I was left with but overall I really enjoyed the book and it left me satisfied. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
What got me into this book is the movie, the movie was really good and I didn't realize that there is a book for it so I picked the book. I have to say the book was a little cliche. The girl is going to falls in love with the zombie and the zombie is going to heal, anyone could predict the ending from the start. However I really like how when the zombie eats a human's brain he could see the human's memories. Cliche or not cliche this was a really fun read and I totally enjoyed both the movie and the book ( )
  jennywulove | Jun 2, 2014 |
Zombie love, its perfect. ( )
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
What made me want to read Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies was the trailer for the movie that came out in February. It looked like a cute movie. This book was good and surprisingly deep. The story has no date but it seems to show what happened to the world after all the wars and recessions took place.

And of course, "The Plague," that has turned a majority of the human populous into The Dead a.k.a. Zombies. The main character is R. He is not just a garden variety zombie. He's sentient and self- aware. He has sort of philosophical discussions with his best friend M. Most importantly, R hates that he has to eat the flesh of the Living to survive but he can't change what he is.

Or can he?

During a particular vicious feeding frenzy with a group of armed teenagers, R kills the leader named Perry Kelvin. While munching on his brain, R gets bombarded with his memories. This causes him to rescue Perry's girlfriend Julie Grigio. Julie just happens to be the daughter of the leader of the colony called Citi Stadium.

By wanting to keep Julie safe, R opens up a chain of events that makes everyone question if the human race can salvaged? If it can, does humanity have enough hope to fight for it?

I really liked Warm Bodies because it wasn't a generic zombie-eats-people-people-fight-back novel. It was complex. By R eating Perry, he absorbed his consciousness and his humanity. In turn, his humanity slowly came back to him. But R had to be open to it. If R was one of the Boneys, set in their ways and resistant to change, it would have never worked.

I also liked how The Plague was this unidentifiable thing. Julie's theory on it being self-inflicted was very interesting considering what happened to between her father and one of the Boneys, she may not have been off-based. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

456 wanted7 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible