Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2011)

by Isaac Marion

Member:snoble23
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2011), Perfect Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (175)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (177)
Beautiful! ( )
  Another_Irina | Feb 11, 2016 |
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

★★★

I have to be honest, if this hadn’t been a book choice for one of my book groups, I never would have picked this up. I’m not a big romance fan (especially of the teenage nature) and I’ve always disliked zombies (they creep me out). And while this book was no masterpiece, I did actually enjoy it much more than I imagined I would. It was a fun, interesting read.

I wasn’t totally convinced by the storyline, which is where my rating went down. I found the premise just a bit too far-fetched. However, I did enjoy the characters and I thought that the social commentary was fascinating. I wasn’t as interesting in the romance as I was at how societies (both the human and the zombie) were working and falling apart. The author did well in his descriptions. I think, given that this the author’s first book, that he has a lot of potential for future books – including the sequel to Warm Bodies.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Imagine you are in the head of a zombie. You hunger, you moan, you go about routines, and you search for something. Wow, this book takes you there and it's not at all what you would expect. Yes, they is the eating of flesh/brains and the rotting, but there is also desire for more. they can't remember how they became, nor their old lives. The living are few and killing them at every chance. Everyone is in survivor mode, there has been no time for discovering what this new existence is. Till "R" eats a brain that takes him down a road of revelations that change everything. His friend "M" is a favorite character and steals several scenes.
I loved, loved, loved this book. I found myself cheering for the zombies, I really liked them. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
LOVED IT! ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 20, 2016 |
This was a fun and quick book to read. While it was gross (I don't think I could see the movie - yuck!), there was so much humor that zombies eating brains seemed almost funny. The first line sets the stage perfectly: "I am dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it." haha! Another one of my faves: "The scene as Julie and I make our way out of the airport resembles either a wedding procession or a buffet line."

There were only a few things I didn't like. I felt like the use of the f-bomb was a bit forced and sophomoric. Maybe people talk like this when humanity is declining, but I just don't see it. It made it seem more contrived that it should have. Almost like something a rookie author would do to try to add edge. As if the subject didn't already bring with it enough edginess. The story and dialogue would have suffered nothing without the overuse of this expletive.

The other part of the story which left me flat was the Boneys. Were they older zombies or another strain of undead? What sustained them, since it seemed that when the zombies started to change, their existence was compromised. What was this way they had of communicating so that R could understand them? Could all zombies understand them, or just R because he seemed to be the impetus of the change? The story of the Boneys could have added another dimension to the story without taking away from the core, I think.

I think a sequel is in order!

Recommended. ( )

Has the adaptation

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,181,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible