Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2011)

by Isaac Marion

Member:snoble23
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2011), Perfect Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (162)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (164)
Warm Bodies is so much more than it seems. It's not just a book about zombie love. There's an underlying message of hope and love as well. This love story is just as good as a love story between two humans.

I loved how the story progressed and I loved how everything was explained through R's thoughts. R's thoughts are awesome. This stour makes me believe that love DOES cure any ill.

I'm so very excited for the movie that is coming out this year, an even if there are details changed, I'm sure that it'll be entertaining. Isaac Marion created a great post apocalyptic world. I loved every second of it. 5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
R is a zombie. He knows he once had a name, but he cannot recall it - all her knows is that it likely started with 'R.' The other zombies that he lives with in the airport don't know their names, either, if they're lucky they have a letter to go by.

R might only be able to speak a few syllables, grunt a few sounds, but he is much deeper than that. His mind works on a more complex level than the expected zombie level of 'Brains!' or 'Kill. Food. Brains.' R has thoughts, dreams, maybe even feelings and fears.

The world as it is now, in R's day, has been destroyed by multiple wars, the collapse of society, and now zombies. People are living together, in fear of zombies and the end of the world altogether.

After eating a teenage boy's brain on one of the zombies' trips into the city for food, R starts experiencing the boy's memories. Then making a choice that leads to a strange, awkward but also kind of sweet relationship with the boy's living girlfriend, R might end up changing himself, the other zombies, perhaps the living ... and even everyone.

Warm Bodies is definitely a different kind of zombie tale. For one - very major - thing, the zombie at the center of it all isn't a mindless, heartless killer only out for brains. And that's something that works.

It is a little strange to have this zombie who is so unable to speak or move or say things but then can narrate a story so well. At first it does seem like a disconnect. After a bit, though, you get used to it as how R is and how his being a zombie is.

It's never explained how zombies came to be in the Warm Bodies world - nor is it really a part of the story - but it is something you kind of wonder about at points.

The characters are most definitely the strong point of this story. The reader is able to see a zombie the same they would a living, breathing person and care about him in much the same way - even while he spends parts of the story eating parts of someone's brain. Or perhaps, because of that.

It's an added bonus that the human/living person side of the story is as well developed and thought out as the zombie side. We don't just get a strong story with R and the zombies at the airport, but with where and how the people are living as well. A book could have been written from the perspective of one of the people living there with the zombies as the outside threat, as well. It would have been a different story, but there was enough imagination to that element that a whole story could be there as well.

If you enjoy zombie stories and/or you're looking for one of a different sort, you should really give Warm Bodies a read.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
What an entertaining delight! I first heard of this book through the movie trailer. I was very skeptical about this, yet oddly curious at the same time. A zombie who falls in love.... I did not know what to expect getting into this. What I ended up experiencing was a story like no other.

'R' is a zombie with personality. Not very common, right? Even the other zombies think he is odd. He longs for memories...for life. When he eats the brain of a young man named Perry and saving a human girl, things begin to change for him. He gets flashbacks of Perry's life, giving him a familiarity to the girl, Julie, he saved. He learns of Perry's relationship to Julie and his own feelings toward her begin to manifest themselves.

The writing is very well done. There is a certain eloquence to the artistic imaging Isaac Marion has set up for us. The story is all told from R's perspective. While his spoken words may be few, his thoughts are many. He has am amusing, dry sense of humor that keeps the reader engaged in what is happening around him. We see his life at the airport, including a marriage, adopting kids, and even zombie "sex." Let me tell you, never have I heard of such things working the was they do in a zombie society. Then again, I never read of a zombie society. So this was a very unique experience.

The only downside for this was that while the first half to two-thirds of the books were well written and is almost poetic in nature, the rest seems more rushed. The world seems to lose its aspect, the writing style itself even seems to shift. Maybe it was because r didn't know what to think of his own thoughts by this point. Personally though, I wish the story was drawn out a bit more to give the same attention to the ending that the beginning received.

So, overall, I was quite happy with this one. If you have seen the movie, yet never read the book: Go read the book. Much better than the movie. The humor and personality portrayed is beautiful here. Very creative storytelling. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
I would probably give this 4 1/2 stars. I loved being inside the zombie intellect :) ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Warm Bodies begins with R joining a group of zombies to go hunting. They find a group of young humans and R eats Perry Kelvin. He then kidnaps Perry's girlfriend Julie and takes her back to his home, a 747.

I really liked (almost loved) Warm Bodies. It is the first zombie book that I've read. However, it doesn't always seem like it is a zombie book. R rarely eats any humans throughout the story. I went into it expecting something similar to Twilight (the whole teenage girl falls for supernatural being/dead person). I couldn't have been more wrong!! Warm Bodies is brilliantly funny and quirky. And R's narration is just plain hilarious, for example:
"I am Dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it."
and:
"She is Living and I'm Dead, but I'd like to believe that we are both human. Call me an idealist."
and:
"I would like my life to be a movie so I could cut to a montage."
I really liked R. He is just such as sweet guy and has such a unique point of view. To put it simply, he's different from the other zombies and he's very much aware of it. He was desperate not to be a zombie and he really wanted to change. R's character also developed quite uniquely - at the beginning he could barely say one word but his speech gradually improves as the story progresses.

I also quite liked Julie. She isn't the cleverest of people but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and fight a few zombies. Of course, there are times when she is too terrified to move but who wouldn't be when faced with Boneys.

Also, the Biology geek in me loved the anatomical drawings at the beginning of each paragraph. I would literally sit and study them for ages before starting each chapter.

I did occasionally get a bit confused when Perry would cut into the story with his memories and thoughts. But reading them again cleared this up.

Overall, I really, really liked Warm Bodies and can't wait for the sequel. I'm also going to look into getting a copy of The New Hunger - the prequel to Warm Bodies. I can definitely see myself re-reading Warm Bodies in the future. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Apr 24, 2015 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,942,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible