Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (edition 2010)

by Isaac Marion

Collections:Your library, 2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Paranormal Romance

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (148)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (150)
I may just be at the outset of a zombie-themed-novel-reading adventure (they keep publishing them, I might as well read a few, right?) and Warm Bodies is a memorable initiation. While true to the commonly held beliefs (or agreed upon mythology) of zombies, Warm Bodies delivers so many unexpected details and really elevates itself to literature status. The author has a message about our own society, how like zombies we can be, and the path we may be headed down. A great read! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 27, 2014 |
Writing a book with "mythical" creatures is always a hard job. One of the reasons is because there aren't any official documents stating how they should act or look like. As a result, we always end up going for what is the most "popular" view. In my own concept, zombies are nothing more than walking corpses with only the utmost primary function of the brain still functioning, and that would be the need for feeding, regardless of the methods and obstacles. That being said, I will state that even though the book was well-written, it didn't reach half of my expectations.

I respect the author's decision to write a romance with a zombie as one of the members of the party and I do have an idea of how hard it must be to make it plausible for the readers. The thing is that in my opinion some concepts should not be broken. Vampires suck blood. Werewolves are humans turning into wolves-like monsters. And zombies are dead people. They are putrefying bodies. They don't look "nice". They have the stench of a corpse. They can't talk, they can't communicate because the cells responsible for the diction are probably no longer functional. If a zombie can talk or have dreams or desires, then the creature is simply no longer a zombie. Perhaps this was the biggest "mistake" of the book. The story itself is not strong. There are no particularly elaborated conflicts or intrigues. It's another teenage romance. In this case, ANY other creature would have made it better. Spirits, mutants, beings from other planets or even a new kind of humanoid monster. They would have made a better story. Maybe the fact that the definition of what is a "zombie" is what didn't make this book so easy to accept. How can you take it seriously when the said "zombie" can even drive a car?

Nice romantic story. Well-written, nothing too deep that will want to make you think about the mysteries of humanity. But not my style. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
One of the rare instances where the movie is better than the book: the book has a "wake up, sheeple!" undercurrent that I don't like, and I think they changed General Grigio's storyline in a positive direction for the movie. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Aug 18, 2014 |
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I've been going on a bit of a zombie binger this year. This book came out and I just had to have it. A zombie boy and living girl love story! Immediately it peaked my interest as to how the writer was going to pull THAT one off.

Its done really well and reads so quickly. I was sad when it was over - and I was very surprised by the direction that the story took in the end. It went in a direction that I completely did not expect.

I adored the fat zombie M. I thought that the two main characters were well done - since it went by so quickly there wasn't a whole lot of character building done on the supporting characters. There was also some questions I was left with but overall I really enjoyed the book and it left me satisfied. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

456 wanted7 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible