Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (edition 2010)

by Isaac Marion

Collections:Your library, 2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, Paranormal Romance

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (165)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (167)
I enjoyed this book and I'm not a zombie fan!

R is a pretty funny guy and he happens to fall in love with a relatively funny girl who has hope for the future. Both like music and jet planes and so a romance starts.

Reading about the end of the world is always a bit off putting but this book made for an enjoyable experiences with great comedic effect.
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
Since I read this as an audiobook, I can't go back and share any quotes. [UPDATE: I have since wised up and started routinely checking out library print copies of my audio fare.] Which is a shame, since Warm Bodies is unexpectedly poetic for a zombie novel. It's also quite humorous.

If you've seen the movie: The book is significantly different enough to be worth a go. The relationship between R and Julie's boyfriend is deeper and more important in the book than in the movie. The "boneys" are symbolic of unquestioned religious authority in the book, rather than the pure evil of a complete loss of humanity they symbolize in the movie.

Surprisingly, Hollywood's take on this story is more feminist than the novelist's. In the book, when R first sees Julie, she's crouched down and her boyfriend's trying to protect her. In the movie -- well, anyone who's seen it remembers that wonderful slow-mo moment when R is dazzled by Julie swinging her weapon with an expert hand and a ferocious glare.

Similarly, in the novel the narrator constantly refers to Julie's physical fragility, and is charmed by it. In the movie, R admires and relies on Julie's strength.

The book is bleaker but still has a happy ending -- not quite as rosy as the movie's, but philosophically along the same lines. Both book and movie are very concerned with the human causes of the zombie plague, and in both book and movie the science is pretty much nonexistent and you really shouldn't care. It's all symbolism and a sweet story of love among the corpses. Just relax and enjoy the ride. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
The same way that "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" took on Jane Austen, this novel takes a skewed look at Romeo and Juliet." Witty, intelligent, thoughtful. R rambles through his "life" as a zombie but he has surprisingly deep thoughts. He speculates on the meaning of life and why he craves things beyond human brains. Enter Julie, and everything changes.

Isaac Marion does more than give us an action story; he layers it with romance and wonderful depth. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series. ( )
  louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I had fun reading this book. I'm glad I waited to see the movie because it's always more fun to picture the characters in your head. The book is very skillfully written. Immediately I felt pulled into R's world. A dystopian world full of zombies with no apparent rhyme or reason as to how or why or when it got that way.

Now, normally zombies are not my cup of tea. Their lack of intelligence makes them boring to me. I prefer vampires, witches, mummies even. But this book kinda endeared zombies to me on the whole supernatural-food-chain. Zombies can be fascinating and deep-- who knew? I'm still kind if fuzzy about if this is the first book in a series or whatnot. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is I was a little annoyed by how (what's the word? Talkative? Indulgent? Share-friendly?) Julie was. She seemed to blab a lot about her life, but maybe I'm in a jerk mood. It's hardly a bad thing. Actually, it seems natural considering its the "end of the world" and all.

If you want a really fun, witty, well-written story you HAVE to read Warm Bodies. It's excellent. You'll love it.

Rrrrrrr. Lol. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
R is a zombie. He knows he once had a name, but he cannot recall it - all her knows is that it likely started with 'R.' The other zombies that he lives with in the airport don't know their names, either, if they're lucky they have a letter to go by.

R might only be able to speak a few syllables, grunt a few sounds, but he is much deeper than that. His mind works on a more complex level than the expected zombie level of 'Brains!' or 'Kill. Food. Brains.' R has thoughts, dreams, maybe even feelings and fears.

The world as it is now, in R's day, has been destroyed by multiple wars, the collapse of society, and now zombies. People are living together, in fear of zombies and the end of the world altogether.

After eating a teenage boy's brain on one of the zombies' trips into the city for food, R starts experiencing the boy's memories. Then making a choice that leads to a strange, awkward but also kind of sweet relationship with the boy's living girlfriend, R might end up changing himself, the other zombies, perhaps the living ... and even everyone.

Warm Bodies is definitely a different kind of zombie tale. For one - very major - thing, the zombie at the center of it all isn't a mindless, heartless killer only out for brains. And that's something that works.

It is a little strange to have this zombie who is so unable to speak or move or say things but then can narrate a story so well. At first it does seem like a disconnect. After a bit, though, you get used to it as how R is and how his being a zombie is.

It's never explained how zombies came to be in the Warm Bodies world - nor is it really a part of the story - but it is something you kind of wonder about at points.

The characters are most definitely the strong point of this story. The reader is able to see a zombie the same they would a living, breathing person and care about him in much the same way - even while he spends parts of the story eating parts of someone's brain. Or perhaps, because of that.

It's an added bonus that the human/living person side of the story is as well developed and thought out as the zombie side. We don't just get a strong story with R and the zombies at the airport, but with where and how the people are living as well. A book could have been written from the perspective of one of the people living there with the zombies as the outside threat, as well. It would have been a different story, but there was enough imagination to that element that a whole story could be there as well.

If you enjoy zombie stories and/or you're looking for one of a different sort, you should really give Warm Bodies a read.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,147,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible