Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2013)

by Isaac Marion

1,2051606,646 (3.91)120
Member:Astariel
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2013), Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (158)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (160)
Warm Bodies begins with R joining a group of zombies to go hunting. They find a group of young humans and R eats Perry Kelvin. He then kidnaps Perry's girlfriend Julie and takes her back to his home, a 747.

I really liked (almost loved) Warm Bodies. It is the first zombie book that I've read. However, it doesn't always seem like it is a zombie book. R rarely eats any humans throughout the story. I went into it expecting something similar to Twilight (the whole teenage girl falls for supernatural being/dead person). I couldn't have been more wrong!! Warm Bodies is brilliantly funny and quirky. And R's narration is just plain hilarious, for example:
"I am Dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it."
and:
"She is Living and I'm Dead, but I'd like to believe that we are both human. Call me an idealist."
and:
"I would like my life to be a movie so I could cut to a montage."
I really liked R. He is just such as sweet guy and has such a unique point of view. To put it simply, he's different from the other zombies and he's very much aware of it. He was desperate not to be a zombie and he really wanted to change. R's character also developed quite uniquely - at the beginning he could barely say one word but his speech gradually improves as the story progresses.

I also quite liked Julie. She isn't the cleverest of people but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and fight a few zombies. Of course, there are times when she is too terrified to move but who wouldn't be when faced with Boneys.

Also, the Biology geek in me loved the anatomical drawings at the beginning of each paragraph. I would literally sit and study them for ages before starting each chapter.

I did occasionally get a bit confused when Perry would cut into the story with his memories and thoughts. But reading them again cleared this up.

Overall, I really, really liked Warm Bodies and can't wait for the sequel. I'm also going to look into getting a copy of The New Hunger - the prequel to Warm Bodies. I can definitely see myself re-reading Warm Bodies in the future. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Apr 24, 2015 |
Plot:
The zombie apocalypse has happened. R is a zombie who can’t remember much – not even his entire name – and spends most of his time shuffling around an empty airport. But all of that changes when he meets Julie during a hunt. Julie is one of the few survivors. And while R munches on Julie’s boyfriend Perry, he falls in love with her. He brings her home and Julie slowly realizes that maybe not all zombies are the monsters she thought they were. And their connection sparks a new development that is much bigger than the two of them.

Warm Bodies is one of the few instances where I read the book after having seen the film that’s based on it (I usually try to do it the other way round), and I was surprised by how little the two are alike in tone, even if a lot of the plot is the same. And to be honest, I missed the film’s sense of humor.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/04/02/warm-bodies-isaac-marion/ ( )
  kalafudra | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book and its film adaptation have a horrible marketing team. I mean borderline brain-damaged. This is no TWILIGHT with zombies. The writing is crisp and fresh. Marion's gift for storytelling is remarkable, the way he can describe the smallest things with brilliant metaphors and similes. One of my favorite examples is something I shared on Booklikes while I was reading the book: "Her hair is a natural disaster, post-hurricane palm trees." That ten-word sentence tells you so much in the context of the scene. What Julie looks like upon first waking, the fact that she tosses and turns in her sleep, that she could have possibly had a nightmare... so much. And the entire book is full of sentences like that. Most authors cannot produce a quotable line every chapter, much less every page, every paragraph. I'm in awe.

SPOILED TURKEY COMING UP!

Now, the only reason I didn't give WARM BODIES a fiver is because the ending pissed me off. The ending of the movie pissed me off, too. I can't get over the fact that we're talking about zombies living and breathing again. They've been rotting for years. Then, all of a sudden, they all have fucking Wolverine's self-healing powers? Huh? Because of true love and a kiss? Grrrr... I know, I know, maybe I'm being too literal and cynical. I don't like happy endings as it is, but this one irked me more than most. It's inane. Le sigh...

END OF SPOILED TURKEY!

Besides that, I'm thrilled with having read this book. It was different enough to keep me interested. The prose if gorgeous, like wanna-hump-its-leg gorgeous. This book shouldn't be lumped in anywhere near Stephanie Meyer's stroke-fugue style of writing. Isaac Marion is leagues above many writers producing fiction these days. I can't wait to read something else from him.

Big shout out to my buddy Nettles! Thanks for sending me this treasure. Love yo face! ( )
1 vote Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Review coming soon ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
What got me into reading this book was the narration by the author.The story starts with a strange dead like feeling and then changes subtly as the zombie protagonist starts changing .This narration is worth noticing .Although the story is not something very very unique but still its worth a read. ( )
  Ananyaa_Sinha | Jan 11, 2015 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

456 wanted7 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible