Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2013)

by Isaac Marion

Member:Astariel
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2013), Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (157)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (159)
This book and its film adaptation have a horrible marketing team. I mean borderline brain-damaged. This is no TWILIGHT with zombies. The writing is crisp and fresh. Marion's gift for storytelling is remarkable, the way he can describe the smallest things with brilliant metaphors and similes. One of my favorite examples is something I shared on Booklikes while I was reading the book: "Her hair is a natural disaster, post-hurricane palm trees." That ten-word sentence tells you so much in the context of the scene. What Julie looks like upon first waking, the fact that she tosses and turns in her sleep, that she could have possibly had a nightmare... so much. And the entire book is full of sentences like that. Most authors cannot produce a quotable line every chapter, much less every page, every paragraph. I'm in awe.

SPOILED TURKEY COMING UP!

Now, the only reason I didn't give WARM BODIES a fiver is because the ending pissed me off. The ending of the movie pissed me off, too. I can't get over the fact that we're talking about zombies living and breathing again. They've been rotting for years. Then, all of a sudden, they all have fucking Wolverine's self-healing powers? Huh? Because of true love and a kiss? Grrrr... I know, I know, maybe I'm being too literal and cynical. I don't like happy endings as it is, but this one irked me more than most. It's inane. Le sigh...

END OF SPOILED TURKEY!

Besides that, I'm thrilled with having read this book. It was different enough to keep me interested. The prose if gorgeous, like wanna-hump-its-leg gorgeous. This book shouldn't be lumped in anywhere near Stephanie Meyer's stroke-fugue style of writing. Isaac Marion is leagues above many writers producing fiction these days. I can't wait to read something else from him.

Big shout out to my buddy Nettles! Thanks for sending me this treasure. Love yo face! ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Review coming soon ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
What got me into reading this book was the narration by the author.The story starts with a strange dead like feeling and then changes subtly as the zombie protagonist starts changing .This narration is worth noticing .Although the story is not something very very unique but still its worth a read. ( )
  Ananyaa_Sinha | Jan 11, 2015 |
  Ananyaa_Sinha | Jan 11, 2015 |
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion is about two crazy mixed up kids trying to find a way to be together in a world gone wrong. The fact that one of the kids is a zombie, and the other a living human, creates plenty of conflict and as the zombie comes to realize even as he slowly reawakens his human instincts, parents are still very hard to win over.

The author has taken a zombie story, which includes the eating of flesh and brains, added in a love interest and has come up with a tale that brings Romeo and Juliet to mind. The zombie hero, called “R” meets the human girl called Julie while on a hunt. He saves her and brings her back to the zombie nest which happens to be the local airport. What follows is an original, strangely appealing tale that was well written, interesting and, to me, quite funny. Imagine having to confess to your girlfriend that you couldn’t quite control yourself and munched on someone.

This is a quick read and probably will only appeal to lovers of the zombie genre, but it did hold my attention, gave me a few laughs and put a new spin on the traditional zombie story. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 5, 2015 |

Watanabe, KyokoDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

456 wanted7 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible