Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2013)

by Isaac Marion

Member:Astariel
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2013), Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (210)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  English (212)
R. is a zombie, shuffling slowly and relentlessly through life, thinking a lot, but barely able to speak. And then, in a raid on the living, he gets a bit of the brain of Julie's boyfriend and becomes protective of her. From there the story becomes ever more complex and filled with life, and warmth, and characters, and complexity. It's a bit like the world of Oz, suddenly glorious Technicolor after the bleak greyscale of Kansas.

I don't want to talk about the plot too much, because I'm afraid anything I could say would be spoilery. There is a change in mood and tone with the addition of Julie, and that depth is vivid after the soul-crushing start. Reading this was a delightful revelation. This is the book for people who think they don't like zombie stories. I can't wait to see what else Marion does.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
R is slummin' it these days. He spends his days in an abandoned airport, riding an escalator, pondering what his purpose might be. Most days he doesn't know whether he is coming or going, but I guess that's life for zombie. Yes, our main character just so happens to be dead..but even in death his mind still races, he questions his exsistence, he wonders about his life before and mostly he wonders what the future may hold for him....because lets be honest, when your dead, the future can seem pretty bleak.

What R doesn't realize is his future is about to be a lot brighter than he could have possibly imagined.

One day while out hunting with with his fellow zombies R and his crew come across a group of humans out collecting supplies. During the ambush, R kills and devours the brain of a young man named Perry. And R finds his brain being filled with memories of perry's life. Those memories include a young woman named Julie, who happens to be with the group. Suddenly R feels the need to protect her and takes her back to his 747 he calls home. And that's when strange things begin happening. As R and Julie connect, R is suddenly feeling, and talking and becoming more...alive.

But when others start feeling changes occur within them also, will this new devolpment be enough to change the minds of those who have been programmed for survival? And ultimately change the world?

Whooo. That was a mouthful. This book, despite being a zombie book set in a future dystopia type world, was actually not a cute, light read.

There was so much depth and underline meaning. This is a story about changes, and how the world you know may seem set in stone, but in the blink of an eye everything can become different. And that ultimately the power to change lies within yourself, making the simple decision that want change bad enough to do something about it.

The characters in this novel are so fantastic, I don't think that there enough words in the English language to describe them. R, although dead is full of life and curiosity. His love and protectivness he feels for Julie are pure and sweet. Julie is exactly the type of character o love reading about. She is by no means a good girl, she has a past. She's not vanilla or pure. Life and the collapsing world around have made her bitter enough to know when she needs to be cautious, however, despite everything against her she still keeps a fire lit brightly inside her. She is ready for change, she embraces it. At longs for freedom. She is truly a free spirit.

Also something I feel I should mention...it's a well known fact that this book was made into a movie. I actually have yet to see the movie. But after talking with friends who have seen the movie and read the book I have been told they are completely different. So don't pass this book up, if the only reason you haven't read it is because it's been made into a movie then you are truly missing out. This was an exquisite story, one I highly recommend! ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 8, 2016 |
I can see where the ending would lead into other books, but I don't think I would really want to read them. Not because I didn't enjoy this one, but because I like the ending we are given here. Very interesting take on the zombie genre. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
It was OK. It was such a strange read that I just couldn't really get into it. I thought reading from a zombies point of view would be entertaining, like in the White Trash Zombie series, but it just fell flat. Not a bad book, just a bit meh for me. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I hated this book until almost the end ... I was maybe 3/4 of the way through before I finally got on board. I think it's because I read Breathers a long time ago and this seemed like a ripoff of that. No matter, this turned out to be pretty good! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,622,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible