Warm bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm bodies (edition 2013)

by Isaac Marion

1,4202125,321 (3.9)125
Member:Astariel
Title:Warm bodies
Authors:Isaac Marion
Info:Fazi (2013), Paperback

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

English (209)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (211)
I loved this book! Picked it up from the library and finished in a few hours.
R is a very likeable main, considering he can't say a whole lot and most of what we get is his inner monologue. I found this to be a refreshing take on zombies, though to be fair I haven't actually read any other zombie books and my knowledge of zombie films is entirely limited to Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland (both of which I actually love, but I think they're on the weirder/sweeter/funnier end of zombie films). I'm excited to see the film adaptation of this one and hopeful that the tone and character of the book has been retained. Judging from the trailer, this seems possible. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
I was a little thrown off by the constant switch between R's thoughts and Perry's memories. But I do get why it was written that way. The jumbled up style added to the impression of what a zombie might think like. The idea that love could save even a zombie is a great one. I was entertained throughout the book and am excited that there will be a sequel. I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
A good book, but lacking something.
Full review over here: (http://wordslikemagic.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/warm-bodies-by-isaac-marion/) ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Book: I love zombie books, and this one will probably be on my list of pick me ups. I'm not usually one to read stories about love, but include zombies, and I'm there. Yes I'm weird.

Warm Bodies is a very quick read. We get a first hand account of how the zombie, R, sees the world. He's different. He doesn't necessarily want to be a monster. He just doesn't have much of a choice. He's very endearing, and really awkward. I think his characteristics before becoming a zombie shine through. But that's just me. I do hope that we have an opportunity to get glimpses into R's life before zombification. Julie is a great character. She's tough, and take charge, but she also has the capacity for forgiveness.

If you're looking for a ton of action, there isn't much in this book. Although the Boneys are kind of freaky. This is a great love story with a zombie twist. I definitely recommend it for a light, fun read. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Really enjoyable story and a new take on zombies. I've never read a zombie love story before. :) ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

You have known, O Gilgamesh,/
What interests me,/
To dink form the Well of Immortality./
Which means to make the dead/
Rise from their graves/
And the prisoners from their cells/
The sinners from their sins./
I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh./
It is the only way to eternal life,/
Which should be unbearable if lived/
Among the dying flowers/
And the shrieking farewells/
Of the outstretched arms of our spoiled hopes.
- Herbert Mason
Gilgamesh: A Verse Narrative
'...'
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet II, lines 147, 153, 154, 278, 279
For the foster-kids I've met.
I'm dead, but it's not so bad.
My friend 'M' says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.

The narrator of Warm Bodies is a zombie inhabiting a post-apocalyptic America that has been destroyed by decades of wars and natural disasters, culminating in a mysterious zombie plague. The narrator has no memory of who he is and no understanding of what it means to be alive or undead, he has only the first letter of his name ("R") and a vague notion that something is not right with the world. While eating a young man's brain and experiencing his memories, R encounters the man's girlfriend, Julie, and makes the impulsive choice to save her instead of killing her. He takes her back to the abandoned airport where the zombies congregate and hides her in a 747, all the while narrating in a dry sense of humor. He falls in love with her and slowly comes back to life which then sparks something into all the "corpses" changing them back to human.

R is a zombie, but its not so bad, he's learning to live with it. True, he can only remember the first letter of his name, and eating is not a pleasant business...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible