Friends Forever: Adventures of Henderson by…

Friends Forever: Adventures of Henderson

by Anita Hilliker Kieslich

332,001,085 (4.33)None
Recently added byKaelebsMomma, MysteeB, onyx95

Today I had the pleasure of reading ‘Friends Forever’ by Anita Hilliker Kieslich with my ten year old daughter. This story is about a boy named Kevin who befriends a sick duckling. They share a special bond and have overcome many obstacles together. However, when faced with separation, the two friends learn a valuable lesson.

Mrs. Kieslich did a fantastic job conveying her message in this book. It’s obvious that she is well educated and understands how to provide positive coping strategies for children when they are faced with loss, be it the death of a family member, friend or pet or moving away from someone who is a special.

While this book does not directly deal with life and death situations, the lesson it presents is universal. I feel that this book is wonderful for children of various ages from very young to pre-teen. As a parent, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book aloud and found the positive nature refreshing. My ten year old daughter loved the story and in her own words said, “Aww, that was a cute story”.

I feel like books communicate the message that we need as individuals at different times in our lives and the moral behind this story is that no matter how you are separated from someone, they will always still be with you in your heart and everything will be okay. My favorite line is the last sentence that says, ‘miles can separate friends but can never separate friendship”. What a heartfelt message that everyone should read and remember.

I appreciate Mrs. Kieslich’s delicate approach to a subject that can be very touchy. I would urge everyone with children to buy a copy of this book to help your child during difficult times. If there’s one thing in life that we can count on, it’s that change occurs often and those we love come and go in and out of our lives. Memories last a lifetime and it’s important in times of sadness to remember that you really haven’t lost anyone, as long as they are alive in your heart. ( )
  KaelebsMomma | Aug 1, 2011 |
This was a really cute book and my almost 7 year old and I read it together {with my 10 year old daughter quickly deciding to listen as well}. This book is a wonderful example of how friendships can make it through distances by using a little boy and a duck as an example. The friendship that you hold in your heart is never forgotten by either person. And, after time, those visits to see each other get more and more special and your bond can still continue to grow.

Perfect, too, for those who are new at experiencing having a friend move away. A great addition to any children's library. I always enjoy the books that truly show a bond between a human and an animal as well. So that was an added bonus for me.

RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 30
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review. ( )
  MysteeB | Oct 1, 2010 |
Having found a great friendship with each other and grown close, Kevin an Henderson wanted to always be together. When Henderson (a Mallard duck) wanted to leave Kevin’s house to stay at the pond down the street, Kevin was sad but knew his friend would be happier there. When Kevin had to move to the next city, they were both sad but they knew that there friendship had given them enough to remember each other with. Remembering the good time and knowing that when the opportunity presented itself, they would see each other again.

Making a new friend can be fun and exciting, but when you know one is going to move away, it can be sad and lonely too. Remembering all the fun and happy times with that friend and always knowing that they are in your heart helps to make the separation easier. No matter how large the separation is, whether it’s just a few blocks or across the country.

This is a great read aloud book, but it would also be a good read alone book for 1st or 2nd graders.
It has a gentle way of helping kids to understand how distance can be over come as long as you keep the friendship in your hearts. The illustrations are bright and colorful and help to bring the story to life. The fact that one of the friends is a duck helps to show that there is more than one way to make friends and more than one way you might lose a friend. My kids read it with me and enjoyed the memories of when Henderson and Kevin first met as well as their dreams of being together again. ( )
  onyx95 | Sep 26, 2010 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible