DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's…

DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the… (2001)

by Rick Strassman

Absolutely fascinating! Suspend your skepticism for a few hours and enter the incredulous world of Strassman’s research with a powerful hallucinogen. DMT, sort of a fast-acting LSD, was used in DEA-approved clinical research at the University of New Mexico between 1990 and 1995, where volunteers repeatedly described experiences similar to near-death and alien abduction reports.

The question is this: Are the experiences entirely psychedelic, or is the drug allowing volunteers to tap into another reality, where aliens really do exist? Strassman takes the question seriously, and while the implications are more than a little disturbing, the volunteers “unquestionably had some of the most intense, unusual, and unexpected experiences of their lives.” (After reading the case studies, I can believe it.)

Strassman connects DMT with the pineal gland, the “house of the soul.” The pineal gland develops in the human fetus 49 days after conception, with its DMT chemical secretion serving as a portal to astral worlds. OK, this is wayyy outside my comfort level and not something I know anything about, yet I can’t help it: This is a five-star book, guys, even though it steps on some religious toes. Skip ahead to part IV, The Sessions, if you must, and then come back to read the rest after your mind is blown.

Strassman presents his data like a research doctor, and he admits that one of his deepest motivations behind the DMT research was the search for a biological basis of spiritual experience. He went into this research already intrigued with the pineal gland, so his hypotheses are not unexpected. His application was entirely professional, with intravenous injections under strict supervision—this is not an experiment that can be undertaken at home. The experiences are kaleidoscopic and often frightening. Yet I couldn’t help wonder how many people, after reading this book, found a way to obtain the drug and jump into the next universe. I sure wanted to. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | May 5, 2012 |
Ground breaking research and a fascinating read. Even if you don't want to digest the background and methods, people's DMT experiences are thought provoking and inspiring. This was one of the books I used as research for my novel, 'Seven Point: The First Chronicle'. ( )
  marieharbon | Sep 7, 2011 |
This book covers three main topics: the process of setting up human trials using DMT, including the various regulations and other hurdles that needed to be overcome; the experiences of the volunteers in the trials; and some speculation about the role of naturally occurring DMT and its generation by the pineal gland.

I found the descriptions of the trial process and the experiences interesting, but I thought the stuff about the pineal gland was totally unsubstantiated and felt that this part could have been profitably omitted. The whole pineal gland bit seemed to be pure speculation, and the lack of scientific method was at odds with the scientific approach described in the rest of the book.

Unfortunately the theory about the pineal gland is the most often quoted part of this book, and it seems to have become accepted as some sort of new age fact in some circles.

Overall an interesting book, and one of the few good books on psychedelic research. ( )
  Pondlife | Aug 14, 2010 |
this past week I have read the ever thought-provoking spiritual book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule". This book is an autobiography on doctor Rick Strassman's amazing research on the dimethyltryptamine molecule, the thing that is produced in our brains that he believes is normal regulating part of our spirit, soul, or consciousness. Dr. Strassman also goes into great detail about the molecular similarities between DMT (one of the simplest molecules next to glucose) and other drugs such as LSD, Psilocybin, and Mescaline, as well as telling his, over three year process just to acquire the permits to preform the research from the DEA and FDA. Once i picked up this book I couldn't put it down, I read it every chance I had, I was ever fascinated with the working of outside applied DMT on research volunteers. This is probably one of the best books I have read so far, up there with the doors of perception, and the perennial philosophy. there are far to many theories and amazing inquires for me to go into much detail, but this book is a dramatic explanation of the biology of the soul. I would recommend this book to anyone who has questions to the outstanding workings of birth, near-death, and death experiences, as well as spontaneous visionary experience brought on by meditation or "enlightenment". ( )
  maxpetersen | Aug 3, 2010 |
Strassman's book is a journey through red tape into the deepest pools of human consciousness. Not only does it give us a thorough understanding of the effects of DMT. It presents a road map for drug research methods that could lead to a better understanding of psychedelics (and other drugs) that could dramatically shift drug policy in the United States It is an amazing case for the potential mass of benefits to be gained from psychedelic research. This book opens a door. If more are to follow in Strassman's footsteps, only progress is to be gained. ( )
  poetontheone | Jul 20, 2007 |
We do not possess imagination enough to sense what we are missing. — Jean Toomer
To the volunteers, and all their relations
In 1990 I began the first new research in the United States in over twenty years on the effects of psychedelic, or hallucinogenic, drugs on humans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0892819278, Paperback)

A clinical psychiatrist explores the effects of DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known.

• A behind-the-scenes look at the cutting edge of psychedelic research.

• Provides a unique scientific explanation for the phenomenon of alien abduction experiences.

From 1990 to 1995 Dr. Rick Strassman conducted U.S. Government-approved and funded clinical research at the University of New Mexico in which he injected sixty volunteers with DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known. His detailed account of those sessions is an extraordinarily riveting inquiry into the nature of the human mind and the therapeutic potential of psychedelics. DMT, a plant-derived chemical found in the psychedelic Amazon brew, ayahuasca, is also manufactured by the human brain. In Strassman's volunteers, it consistently produced near-death and mystical experiences. Many reported convincing encounters with intelligent nonhuman presences, aliens, angels, and spirits. Nearly all felt that the sessions were among the most profound experiences of their lives.

Strassman's research connects DMT with the pineal gland, considered by Hindus to be the site of the seventh chakra and by Rene Descartes to be the seat of the soul. DMT: The Spirit Molecule makes the bold case that DMT, naturally released by the pineal gland, facilitates the soul's movement in and out of the body and is an integral part of the birth and death experiences, as well as the highest states of meditation and even sexual transcendence. Strassman also believes that "alien abduction experiences" are brought on by accidental releases of DMT. If used wisely, DMT could trigger a period of remarkable progress in the scientific exploration of the most mystical regions of the human mind and soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:53 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,358,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible