Dry Grass of August, The by Anna Jean Mayhew

Dry Grass of August, The (edition 2011)

by Anna Jean Mayhew

Member:Gilmore53
Title:Dry Grass of August, The
Authors:Anna Jean Mayhew
Info:Kensington Publishing (2011), Upplaga: 1, Paperback, 352 sidor
Collections:Wishlist

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

Recently added byDaffydownd1lly, ASmithey, private library, rena70

I enjoyed reading this book. Some of the imagery and description of the era Jubie was living in were interesting and made the book easy to whip through. I do feel like it was super similar to The Help and The Secret Life of Bees, only this one packed less of a punch, for me. Still, I don't think I will ever tire if reading about books dealing with these kinds of issues from this shameful part of our nations history. ( )
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
A Future Classic

The Dry Grass of August tells the deceptively simple story of Jubie, a privileged white teen whose eyes are beginning to open to the end-products of 1950s racism. Although parallels might be drawn between this novel and, say, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Dry Grass of August offers broader and deeper examinations of class differences and family dynamics, which enrich the story considerably.

The author has completely captured the language of the time and created a sense of place so realistic that one almost feels compelled to swat at the mosquitoes that surely must be nearby.

I have a feeling that this will be one of the rare novels that begs for multiple readings--the first, hurried time to find out what happens, but with many leisurely rereadings to savor the language and storytelling. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Review first appeared on fefferbooks.com.

I’m going through and trying to add reviews for the books I read a couple of years ago (the ones I can remember, at least), and I am SHOCKED to discover I haven’t reviewed The Dry Grass of August yet. I loved this book so much that I can’t simply post a review and then have it sit quietly back in the annals of the blog. I want you guys to know about this book, if you don’t already.

If I haven’t already said it: I LOVE debut novels. I think there’s something about an author’s first public shout-out to the world that is just so electric and amazing. The Dry Grass of August is absolutely no exception. It’s a rich, atmospheric, sometimes hand-wringing tale of a girl on the cusp of adolescence and the black maid who is, for all intents and purposes, her mother. It takes place in the deep south in 1954, and I’m sure you can grasp the implications. This book is powerful and memorable, and the writing is fantastic. It’s just a touch slow to begin, and it is a thoughtful sort of novel–more emotion and psychology than actionactionaction. I enjoy that, though, and I really appreciated it.

4 stars, and I don’t recall or have it marked as having any swearing (feel free to let me know if you find any–I borrowed this book). There are some upsetting scenes re: the racial climate. IMO, it’d be a fabulous book club pick. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Great book for fans of The Help and The Kitchen House. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 7, 2013 |
In the midnight hour
When you need some power
When your heart is heavy
Steal away, steal away home
I ain't got long to stay here.

-African-American spiritual
for Jean-Michel and for Laurel
In August of 1954, we took our first trip without Daddy, and Stell got use to the driver's license she'd had such a fit about.

In 1954, thirteen-year-old Jubie Watts' eyes are opened to the harsh realities of racism when tragedy strikes her family while on vacation in Florida.

In 1954, 13-year-old Jubie, traveling with her family and her family's black maid Mary Luther--who has always been there for her, making up for her father's rages and her mother's neglect--encounters racial tension and tragedy.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible