The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady by…

The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady (2011)

by Elizabeth Stuckey-French

English (32)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
Much more entertaining than you might expect, given the subject matter. Lots of likable characters. Really, I felt sympathetic toward all the main characters. Really 3 1/2 stars (I didn't care for the ending), but I'm bumping it up a half star because of the frequent mentions of the undergrad alma mater. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
The premise of "The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady" is an 80 year old woman obsessed with exacting revenge on the doctor who gave her radioactive cocktails at a free clinic she attended while pregnant in the 1950's. She had a daughter who died at age 8. She finds the doctor living in Tallahassee with his daughter and her family, who each have their own issues to deal with. Wilson, the doctor, is in the early stages of dementia and doesn't seems to remember Marylou or the situation.

This book had potential but didn't really live up to it. It had it's moments but as a whole didn't really work. The ending was very abrupt and unbelievable. There were also several loose ends that were left untied at the end. The issues the family members were dealing with were very serious but were either dealt with unsatisfactorily ( to me) or left hanging. I think the book would have been better if she had narrowed the focus of the book and not tried to deal with so many issues. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This is a dark comedy about some very unusual and fascinating characters set in Tallahassee, Florida.

The father, Vic is on the verge of starting an affair. He also dearly wants to experience a hurricane. His wife Caroline is experiencing hot flashes, is out of control, totally overwhelmed by the fact that she has two children with Asperger's. The boy of the pair is really into learning and experimentally with radioactivity. The daughter, of the two, Ava, doesn't think that she has Asperger's but her universe is made of Elvis Presley. Suzi, the normal child is totally into soccer and feels that she doesn't ever get enough attention compared to the twins. The children's grandfather lives with the family and has beginning Alzheimer's. He doesn't know it until later but there is a lady. Mary Lou Ahern after him, seeking revenge over an experiment done many years ago. She has been given a radioactive cocktail many years ago. This caused a lot of pain in her life and she is full of anger.

So this book is both dramatically sad and strangely funny at the same time. The chapters have alternating voices so you get the viewpoints of all. Even though it has some elements of truth like the experiments conducted in Nashville, Tennessee in the past. The story is twisty and complex at the same time. I didn't know if I would like this book at first. I picked it for the title and the cover but now I am very glad that I read it. Also I would like to learn more about those experiments using radioactive materials in the past. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 13, 2017 |
This is yet another time when I wish goodreads would give us the ability to give something a 1/2 star designation. My review would be for 3 1/2 stars instead of 4. This is a book that I absolutely adored when I began reading it, but with 100 pages too many it began to slog along around the 200 page mark. I've given it 4 just because I did love it when I started reading it and the overall story is a good one. There have been so many books recently that seem to need a good editor to trim them down and speed up the story. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Mixing the suburban angst of Tom Perrotta (The Abstinence Teacher) with the snarky humor of Carl Hiaasen (Stormy Weather), Stuckey-French (Mermaids on the Moon) has written a page-turner that is thoughtful, amusing, and nearly impossible to put down.

For Ned, Flannery, and especially Phoebe
By the time Marylou Ahearn finally moved into the little ranch house in Tallahassee, she'd spent countless hours trying to come up with the best way to kill Wilson Spriggs.

This lively, intricately plotted, laugh-out-loud funny, and surprisingly touching family drama combines the wit of Carl Hiaasen with the southern charm of Jill McCorkle.

Seventy-seven-year-old Marylou Ahearn is going to kill Dr. Wilson Spriggs come hell or high water. In 1953, he gave her a radioactive cocktail without her consent as part of a secret government study that had horrible consequences.

Marylou has been plotting her revenge for fifty years. When she accidentally discovers his whereabouts in Florida, her plans finally snap into action. She high tails it to hot and humid Tallahassee, moves in down the block from where a now senile Spriggs lives with his daughter’s family, and begins the tricky work of insinuating herself into their lives. But she has no idea what a nest of yellow jackets she is stum­bling into.

Before the novel is through, someone will be kidnapped, an unlikely couple will get engaged, someone will nearly die from eating a pineapple upside-down cake laced with anti-freeze, and that’s not all . . .

Told from the varied perspectives of an incredible cast of endearing oddball characters and written with the flair of a native Floridian, this dark comedy does not disappoint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

In 1953, Dr. Wilson Spriggs gave Marylou Ahearn a radioactive cocktail without her consent as part of a secret government study that had horrible consequences. For 50 years she's been plotting her revenge. At last she's found Spriggs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible