H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America)…

H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America) (edition 2005)

by H. P. Lovecraft

Title:H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America)
Authors:H. P. Lovecraft
Info:Library of America (2005), Edition: First Ed Thus, Hardcover, 850 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Never Finished

H. P. Lovecraft: Tales (Library of America) by H. P. Lovecraft

My husband got mock-annoyed with someone the other day. "She hasn't heard of Lovecraft," he said. "Now I can never talk to her again."

The thing is, Lovecraft is a difficult author to point to. You've only heard of him if you've heard of him. There's no quick and easy reference to him. "Oh, *you* know Lovecraft -- he wrote 'Blahdy-Blah'!"

I can hear the nerd screams from here. Yes, he created Cthulhu. Given that there doesn't even seem to be any agreement on how that's pronounced, I don't think you can blame anyone for not being familiar with it.

The fact is, Lovecraft's obscurity seems to be cherished by his deepest admirers. They *love* adoring The Important Writer Nobody Else Has Heard Of.

They also love how difficult Lovecraft is to explain, and how hard his work is to master. Yes, the man created a mythos all his stories and novellas fit into, no matter how well those stories stand on their own. But that mythos is terribly hard to get a handle on. The same shared universe houses the Old Ones and the Elder Gods, who are *not* the same people. There are Shoggoths, and there's Yog-Sothoth. If you want to have some fun, find a Lovecraft fan and say something about "Yog-Soggoth." He'll start bleeding from both eyeballs.

And yes, odds are this fan will be a he, because there's something very boyish about the adoration of Lovecraft. The monsters are slimy and creepy, Pluto is still a planet (and an important one!), and there's not the slightest breath of sexual tension. You'll find more women in Melville's entire body of work than you will in Lovecraft's -- and yes, I know I'm exaggerating, but not by much. Back off, nerds, or I'll start spoilering. Does Asenath even *count* as a female character, all things considered?

And there are the recurring words and phrases from Lovecraft's invented language -- "Cthulhu fhtagn!" "Ia! Ia!" Lovecraft makes a brilliant point that he's protesting against "the silly and childish habit of most weird and science-fiction writers, of having *utterly non-human entities* use a nomenclature *of thoroughly human character;* as if alien-organed beings could possibly have languages based on *human* vocal organs." Brilliant in theory. In practice, it looks like something Tolkien might have come up with if he got plastered one night at the typewriter.

Lovecraft is also difficult to read because, in spite of the fact that he was born in America in 1890 and died in 1937, his writing is so deliberately ornate and his prose so dense that he might have been writing a hundred years earlier. Yes, nerds, I *know* he did that on purpose. But it serves the purpose of weeding out the weak and leaving only the truly dedicated fans to worship at his altar.

This one's not so funny: The only thing more anachronistic than Lovecraft's carefully cultivated writing style is his unapologetic racism and xenophobia. Nerds, don't you *dare* try to pass this off as Lovecraft just being a product of his time. He was a Yankee. He wrote "The Rats in the Walls" in 1923. Are you seriously telling me that everybody thought it was fine and dandy to name a black cat "Nigger-Man," as he did in that story? You love the fact that he came up with the idea of Abdul Alhazred, the name of the man he'd later credit with writing the infamous Necronomicon, when he was only five years old; you don't get to skip the part where he wrote "De Triumpho Naturae: The Triumph of Nature over Northern Ignorance," an *anti-abolition*, white supremacist poem, when he was fifteen. In *1905,* a Northern teenager is writing a poem about what a shame it is we freed all those slaves? That's the wrong kind of creepy, is what that is.

So yes, I found much of this writing fascinating, and much of it difficult, for various reasons. That's as it should be.

This particular collection is a good one to start with -- not only is it a fine selection of many of his best-known and most important writings, but it includes a brief biography and a chronology of the most important events in Lovecraft's short, strange life.

Read it and see why I gave my husband a "Miskatonic University" T-shirt for Christmas, and why my son received one that says, "What Part Of 'Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh Wgah'nagl Fhtagn' Don't You Understand?" ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
A very handsome volume containig most of the highlights of HPL's horror writing, including two full-length novellas. Note there is not much of the Dream Cycle here, so you couldn't really call it the definitive Lovecraft collection, although it suits my tastes. ( )
  josh314 | Aug 16, 2014 |
I'd read only a few of Lovecraft's short stories before I checked this out from the library. I was hoping to read a few more of his stories before having to return it to the library. I was able to, but not as many as I'd like. I was unaware, when I started reading 'At The Mountains of Madness', that it was such a long story. Novella, is definitely a better description. I did enjoy the story; the antarctic setting, the exploration of the area, and so on. I just assumed it'd be about thirty pages in this book. It was actually closer to 100 pages. If I'd realized this sooner, I'd have read it at a much faster pace.

I'd already read 'The Music of Erich Zann' previously and really enjoyed it. With this book, I also read 'Herbert West—Reanimator' and was really into the story and progression through time with each chapter. I could've done without the brief summary or recap that started off each chapter. I'm guessing this was probably published in some sort of magazine or periodical of the time, in which the summary would've made sense, but I didn't need it when I was reading it straight through over a couple days.

I also read 'The Outsider', which I feel like I'd read before but it didn't quite end how I remembered. So I guess I either never finished it the previous time or I was combining it with another story I'd read, but can no longer remember the name. I hope if the latter is the case, I can eventually find that other story.

Even though I didn't have a chance to read the entire book, and not even all the ones I wanted to read. (I didn't get to 'The Call of Cthulhu' like I wanted too.) I do plan to try and read a few more of Lovecraft's short stories each year.
  princess_mischa | Feb 27, 2013 |
There's nothing really wrong with these stories, they just didn't do it for me. They are more "spooky" than anything. If you can handle Scooby Doo, then you can handle these stories. I was excited to start reading them, but after I got through three short stories it just felt like a chore. I might give it another chance one day, because they weren't terrible, but I have too many other books that I'm excited about right now to continue with this one. ( )
  ladonna37 | Jun 29, 2010 |
Brilliant build-up of tension, unexpected endings, creepy and mysterious. ( )
  LireEnRoute | May 11, 2010 |
Volumes without the same contents are to be kept separate, and the contents of the Library of America volume "H. P. Lovecraft: Tales" are distinct from any book outside the series.

"This volume brings together 22 tales, the very best of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's fiction. Early stories such as "The Outsider," "The Music of Erich Zann," "Herbert West - Reanimator," and "The Lurking Fear" demonstrate Lovecraft's uncanny ability to blur the distinction between reality and nightmare, sanity and madness, the human and the non-human. "The Horror at Red Hook" and "He" reveal the fascination and revulsion Lovecraft felt for New York City; "Pickman's Model" uncovers the frightening secret behind an artist's work; "The Rats in the Walls" is a terrifying descent into atavistic horror; and "The Colour Out of Space" explores the eerie impact of a meteorite on a remote Massachusetts valley."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible