Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev by Andy…

Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev (2000)

by Andy Dougan

Swedish (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
This one's a Christmas gift I read before giving it to my Uncle Nat. Its the story of the Ukrainian footballers (soccer players) from the Kyiv Dynamo team that played a German military team during the Nazi occupation of Kyiv, and then were thrown in a concentration camp for beating the Germans.

The book gives a lot of background information on WWII in Ukraine (or "the Great Patriotic War" as the Soviets called it) and was a quick read--I think that the author is usually a sports writer for a Glasgow, Scotland newspaper.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and thought it would make a great gift for my sports-loving, history/politics nut uncle. ( )
  jkepler | Aug 2, 2008 |
Till Christine, Iain och Stuart och till minne av de ståndaktiga och hjältemodiga medlemmarna i fotbollsklubben Start, särskilt Kolja, Vanja, Sasja och Nikolaj.
Valentina och Aleksej var verkligen kära i varandra, det kunde till och med en blind man på en galopperande häst se.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158574719X, Hardcover)

The amazing true story of a soccer team, re-formed from the players of the great Dynamo and Lokomotiev Kiev squads in the chaos of World War II, that played out one fateful summer season of matches. (SEE QUOTES.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,144,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible