Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True…

Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story

by Chuck Klosterman

OK, so Chuck Klosterman veers into, well, nonsense quite often, but it's wonderfully yummy nonsense and I'd still marry him in an instant if he asked. Not that he will. But I'm just sayin'. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
The loose premise of he book is that Klosterman goes cross country to visit the sites at which various rock figures, some of marginal renown, have perished. More a book of late youth ruminations about the vagaries of love and attraction and trying to find the crossroad where the two meet. Not Klosterman's best but the guy is clever and entertaining to read. And pages 188-93 is some of the funniest shit I have ever read. Maybe not Klosterman's best but definitely worthwhile. ( )
  RDHawk6886 | Aug 21, 2012 |
I can't get enough Chuck Klosterman. Most music critics leave me cold these days, but Chuck always makes me smile. Perhaps because he uses writing about music just as an excuse to write about life in general, specifically his life in general. Killing Yourself To Live is the perfect example. Ostensibly it's a roadtrip around America visiting places where famous rock musicians met their untimely ends and asking why death can be the greatest career move in the business. But most of the time it's about Chuck himself. His ex-girlfriends, his family, even his stupid job...

Read the full review at my blog. ( )
  rolhirst | Jan 20, 2010 |
This book purports to be the record of Chuck Klosterman's pilgrimmage to the U.S. sites hallowed by the deaths of assorted rock 'n' roll personages. That's not really what it's about. Or, that's what it's about in only the very loosest sense. Probably only around 5% of the 235 pages of text are actually devoted to the thesis Chuck set out to write about when he left New York. That's alright. The rest is written affably, and I enjoyed it a lot. I read it in fewer than ten waking hours, which is EXTREMELY fast for me.

Klosterman put me in touch with my inner teenager, obsessed as I was with "love, death, and rock 'n' roll" (p. 234). I remember feeling that way, and the book mostly made me realize how much work it was to walk around smoldering like that all the time. It is absolutely bizarre how much more time you spend thinking about your mortality when you're sixteen than when you're twenty-six. Klosterman never quit feeling that way, apparently, but luckily, he's more articulate than my friends were when I was in high school. I'd highly recommend this to recovering teenagers looking for something to read on a lazy afternoon.
  polutropon | Sep 27, 2009 |
I tell you what's really ridiculous - going into a bookstore and there's all these books about yourself. In a way, it feels like you're already dead. ~Thom Yorke
I am not qualified to live here.
The fact that [Sid Vicious] could not do something correctly, yet still do it significantly is all anyone needs to know about punk rock. That notion is punk rock, completely defined in one sentence.

For 6,557 miles, Chuck Klosterman thought about dying. He drove a rental car from New York to Rhode Island to Georgia to Mississippi to Iowa to Minneapolis to Fargo to Seattle, and he chased death and rock 'n' roll all the way. Within the span of twenty-one days, Chuck had three relationships end -- one by choice, one by chance, and one by exhaustion. He snorted cocaine in a graveyard. He walked a half-mile through a bean field. A man in Dickinson, North Dakota, explained to him why we have fewer windmills than we used to. He listened to the KISS solo albums and the Rod Stewart box set. At one point, poisonous snakes became involved. The road is hard. From the Chelsea Hotel to the swampland where Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down to the site where Kurt Cobain blew his head off, Chuck explored every brand of rock star demise. He wanted to know why the greatest career move any musician can make is to stop breathing...and what this means for the rest of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

For 6,557 miles, Chuck Klosterman thought about dying. He drove a rental car from New York to Rhode Island to Georgia to Mississippi to Iowa to Minneapolis to Fargo to Seattle, and he chased death and rock 'n' roll all the way. Within the span of twenty-one days, Chuck had three relationships end--one by choice, one by chance, and one by exhaustion. The road is hard. From the Chelsea Hotel to the swampland where Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down to the site where Kurt Cobain blew his head off, Chuck explored every brand of rock star demise. He wanted to know why the greatest career move any musician can make is to stop breathing...and what this means for the rest of us.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,351,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible