Mistress by Midnight (Hqn) by Nicola Cornick

Mistress by Midnight (Hqn) (edition 2010)

by Nicola Cornick

59None199,539 (3.68)None
Member:Bookish_Nimue
Title:Mistress by Midnight (Hqn)
Authors:Nicola Cornick
Info:HQN Books (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Mistress by Midnight by Nicola Cornick

First I have to admit that I didn’t read the first two novels in this series, but this didn’t lessen my reading joy a bit. I’m a big fan of Nicola Cornick’s writing and once again she didn’t disappoint. This book is very amusing, with lively dialogues and interesting characters.

Merryn is a naive 25-year old noblewomen who is determined to revenge her dead brother, who was killed in a duel by Garrick Northesk. In contrast to most young women of the tom she isn’t interested at all in balls, gifts and a husband. She loves books, research and intellectual topics. Garrick in contrast has seen to much of the world and is a very lonely man who is despised by a lot of people and at the same time sought-after because of his title.

When they meet they immediately are attracted to each other. Especially Garrick is fascinated by Merryn. Then he realises that she is hell-bound on taking revenge on him and that by doing she so she would unintentionally reveal a well hidden secret. It becomes clear very fast that something is odd. Garrick behaves noble and without any mean intentions quite contrary to the story of the duel and the killing of his formerly best friend. But Marry is blind to all obvious facts and this became annoying at some point.

This book has a all the classic features of an historical romance: a naive but lovely heroine, a suffering but noble hero, a dark, hidden secret/past and a lot of attraction. And though this all sounds like a cliché I loved how Nicola Cornick formed a very individual romance. And I love how she integrated some interesting historic facts like the beer flood.

For me this was an almost perfect historical romance. I liked the characters and how they developed. I especially liked the banter between the main characters. The plot was convincing and the ending was great.

*** ARC courtesy of NetGalley in exchange or an honest review *** ( )
  Bookish_Nimue | Nov 25, 2011 |
Merryn Fenner blames Garrick Northesk, the Duke of Farne, for killing her brother. Although at time it was considered the result of a tragic duel, Merryn believes Garrick killed her brother in cold blood and she is set to prove it. Garrick is instantly attracted to the woman who wants to dig up his secrets and ruin his life. Much to her horror, Merryn finds she is attracted to Garrick in return. She is even more distressed when she finds his persona to be different from the villain she has hated for 10 years. As she investigates the truth Merryn has to face some hard truths. A tragic occurrence throws Merryn and Garrick even closer together and threatens to ruin Merryn’s reputation unless she learns to determine whom she can and whom she can’t trust. ( )
  mlorio | Sep 10, 2011 |
I was slightly impatient with this book and yet I still enjoyed reading it and didn't stop until I absolutely had to. The relationship between the two was interesting, what frustrated me was the denial they were both in. It was obvious what the outcome would be and what their true feelings were towards eachother. Merryn is very naive and honest, it was nice to see her finally come out of her shell a bit and own up. As for Garrick, well he was just charming throughout the entire novel. I don't think I can come up with any faults of his, and that suits me just fine. ( )
  nizmart | Nov 10, 2010 |

When she is trapped with the very same man she is determined to ruin--Garrick Northesk, the Duke of Farne, Merryn Fenner is forced into a marriage of convenience with her sworn enemy to save her reputation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible