The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (edition 1999)

by Stephen Chbosky

Member:SmashAttack
Title:The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Authors:Stephen Chbosky
Info:MTV Books (1999), Edition: Original, Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Young Adult, Fiction, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (bookworm12, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both Speak and Wallflower are books about young teens struggling to find acceptance in high school while trying to deal with trauma - both without being preachy or cloying.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (derelicious)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (MickyFine)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (LadyBlakeny)
    How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito (themephi)
    The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    Creepy & Maud by Dianne Touchell (Brindle)
    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (derelicious)
    Office Girl by Joe Meno (Cecilturtle)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira (rosylibrarian)

English (475)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (478)
When I first started The Perks of Being a Wallflower I didn't expect to like it. It's about people in high school and the turmoil of emotions they go though, been there done that, I've moved on. I ended up really enjoying the book because even though I have passed that age I can still remember what it was like from reading the book. I felt I was a lot like Charlie, a lurker/observer watching everyone else live life in high school. I felt Charlie was overly naive but I will give the writer the benefit of a doubt and assume it's a different time period and a different person, maybe some kids were that naive. I liked that the book was written in forms of letters, made it more personal, but it also included actual dialogue so it was a good mixture. I felt I had a good sense of Patrick and Sam from the way Charlie described them and his emotions towards them. The character the reader gets to know the best is of course Charlie. I normally don't like when authors describe their characters by listing what kind of music and books he likes, but it works for The Perks of Being a Wallflower because many teenagers feel that is what defines them. I liked how the beginning of the book did wrap into the end, it made it more of a story because before that happened there didn't really seem to be much of a plot other than seeing Charlie's world from his perspective for a year. With that said I wished that played a bigger role because it wasn't a big part of the plot that popped up here and there and "explains" why Charlie was a wallflower who didn't participate. I did feel that the book tried to be a little too deep with a message. Overall a good book and a fast read that I feel like many people will enjoy even if they aren't high school aged because everyone remembers those times, whether or not you were a wallflower back then there is still something relatable to it. I'm surprised this was turn into a movie, I don't know how well it will transfer over but I do look forward to seeing it. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Honestly, I don't really enjoy epistolary novels. This one wasn't my favorite. The end sort of seemed a little out of left field to me, as well. I guess it's a representation of a kind of experience in high school but not one I could really identify with. ( )
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
So I admit, this took a lot longer for me to read than I originally planned. But hey! life caught up with me and I had job interviews and such to prepare for. And then when I finally sat down to get some reading down Robert Downey Junior (Iron Man) was on TV so I just had to watch that!

I loved this book! It had me almost in tears in places and then grinning away to myself in other places. I got some strange looks from my family whilst reading this one! I really love Charlie, he has such an innocent quality to him yet is also obviously quite troubled and you can tell he has been through trauma. He also has this adorable need to be a friend to every one and wants to put their need first. He's just very likeable to me. I also really liked Sam and Patrick. They tried really hard to get Charlie to come out of his shell and introduced him to new experiences. I think this makes them really good friends to have for someone like Charlie to have. Although of course their friendship isn't without the drama that comes with being at high school so this makes them more real to me.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is not made up of normal chapters exactly. Instead it consists of Charlie's letters to a "friend" and is split into four parts. I thought this was a very clever format even though the story occasionally veered off on a tangent. But who doesn't go a tad off the subject when talking/writing to a friend. For me, this just added more character to Charlie.

Basically, the book is about Charlie starting High School and meeting new friends. Something we can all relate to, even if the schooling system is slightly different to what I went through (i.e. here High School starts at age 12, I didn't have separate Middle School and High School). I would urge anyone who hasn't read The Perks of Being a Wallflower to read it. It is now one of my favourites. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Apr 23, 2015 |
Usually, I prefer reading the book first and watching the movie after, but sometimes a good movie inspires reading a book it is based on. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of those coming of age stories, which you feel you could have written yourself just as well, because you can relate with the main character's thoughts and fears and struggles. There's a Charlie, a Sam and a Patrick in every country, every school and every class. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,295,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible