The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (edition 1999)

by Stephen Chbosky

Member:SmashAttack
Title:The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Authors:Stephen Chbosky
Info:MTV Books (1999), Edition: Original, Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Young Adult, Fiction, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (bookworm12, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both Speak and Wallflower are books about young teens struggling to find acceptance in high school while trying to deal with trauma - both without being preachy or cloying.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (derelicious)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (MickyFine)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (LadyBlakeny)
    How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito (themephi)
    The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    Creepy & Maud by Dianne Touchell (Brindle)
    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (derelicious)
    Office Girl by Joe Meno (Cecilturtle)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira (rosylibrarian)

English (458)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (462)
I am probably literally one of the last people to read this book. And to be honest, I'm really only reading it because I saw and loved the movie, which in reality I only watched because Emma Watson was in it. So, I have to thank Emma for introducing me to this amazing book!

The premise is really sweat - a 16 year old boy who struggles through the world of high school and the turbulence of being a teenager. We can all relate - in all seriousness, how many people actually have a smooth time during their teens?

Through Charlie, we get to know these amazing characters, all who have their own problems and issues that people can relate to and learn from. There is someone in this book that you will definitely see yourself in, whether it be Charlie, his friends, or his family - you will find someone who you can relate to and form a connection with.

The touching aspect of this book is how Chbosky draws you into the story. Personally, I see two ways in which the reader becomes part of the story. The first is that, through reading Charlie's letters, you begin to embody Charlie as you read about his experiences. The second is that, through reading the letters also, you become the friend that Charlie is writing to, the friend who he can trust to write all these letters to because "you listen and understand." You care about Charlie and his life, and you desperately want to know what happens to this fictional boy who is writing letters to you - you become a part of the story. [I have to admit that I did shed a few tears near the end of the book.]

Pros: No matter who you are - whether you are a teenager just beginning to navigate the world of high school, or an adult who has survived these years - you will enjoy and find a connection with this book, and take something away from it.

Cons: Personally, I don't see many downfalls to this novel. However, there are aspects of the book (rape, molestation, suicide, depression and mental anxiety) that are dark and heavy, so readers should be warned that these topics do arise in the book. I would not recommend people under the age of 15-16 reading this.

Overall, I highly recommend that people read this book if they haven't already, or pick it up and read it again. It is a very touching story that proves you can make it through the tough teenage years, and that you shouldn't give up when life gets you down.

And don't just rely on the movie to tell you Charlie's story, live his story through the book, because you will develop a much deeper connection to the characters, and take away so much more.

{Written for My Books Are Me: www.mybooksareme.weebly.com} ( )
  MyBooks_AreMe | Jan 19, 2015 |
This was an excellent read. I am upset with myself that I have waited so long to read it, my friend must have loaned it to me at least three years ago.

But the guilt can stop, and I can simply rejoice that I have finally read it!

This is a story of a young man, he is 16, but only a freshman in high school from being held back due to a hospitalization in middle school that caused him to miss too much school. He is bright academically, but socially he has his challenges. He is extremely sensitive, and is fast to cry--two things that would not serve anyone well in high school, let alone a boy with no friends. But then he finds new friends, and they are the world to him. They introduce him to love, laughter, fun and inclusion. But they aren't perfect, and he isn't either. They still have trials and tribulations to get through.

If you were like me and hadn't read this...change that ow and read it! ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12823329 ( )
  Nataliec7 | Jan 5, 2015 |
I watched the movie earlier this week on the plane and enjoyed it. But the book was actually better and filled in a lot of the gaps in the movie. Pretty sure having the movie as context made the book that much more enjoyable. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
I thought at first that I would be able to relate to the main character, Charlie. But as the book went on, his high school experience turned more and more into a bad after school special about everything under the sun. I don't know how the author managed to cram every possible angsty issue in 200 pages but he managed it none the less.

I was not impressed with the ending. Was that supposed to be the root cause of his stunted social development? If so, I don't see how that makes much sense. And how did his parents not catch on to him drinking and smoking so much?

In any case, it was an engaging story that touched on some interesting issues. I simply felt he tried to do too much leaving it all feeling a little forced. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,166,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible