The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen…

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (edition 2012)

by Stephen Chbosky

Member:AndrewIUSLIS
Title:The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Authors:Stephen Chbosky
Info:MTV Books (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:YA Fiction Novels
Tags:Age range: 9-12, graphic, read before movie

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (bookworm12, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both Speak and Wallflower are books about young teens struggling to find acceptance in high school while trying to deal with trauma - both without being preachy or cloying.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (derelicious)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (MickyFine)
    Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (LadyBlakeny)
    How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito (themephi)
    The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Virgin Suicides is pretty heavy going however there are quite a few films about teenage angst they might work. Some are darker than others and some are quite old but they could work with Perks... Breakfast Club, Heathers, Girl Interrupted, Rebel without a cause, Footloose, The Year my Voice Broke, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.… (more)
    Creepy & Maud by Dianne Touchell (Brindle)
    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley (derelicious)
    Office Girl by Joe Meno (Cecilturtle)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)
    Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira (rosylibrarian)

English (470)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (474)
Don't remember it too well, so the rating is how much I think I liked it. Sorry.

ETA - I keep seeing people talk about this, and I still can't remember much of it. I'm taking another star off, from 3 to 2, because I judge books as weaker if they're not memorable. A good book should stick with a reader. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I have had this book on my to be read pile forever. This ended up being a quick and fun read. This is one of those quirky young adult contemporary fiction coming of age stories. I think it would appeal to fans of John Green or David Levithan.

Charlie is starting the year as a Freshman. This book is a series of letters to a mysterious someone about his thoughts and life during that year. Charlie is a smart kid, he’s not a geek and he can be tough when the situation warrants it. However, he doesn’t have a ton of friends either and is always kind of on the outskirts. This is a book about his navigating a tough time in life...that of the high school freshman.

Parts of this book are laugh out loud funny, while other are heart warming or touching. The book reminds a lot of other contemporary young adult coming of age stories out there, think Paper Towns by John Green.

Charlie is a complex and interesting character. He is super smart but also has some mental and emotional issues he’s struggling with. Watching him deal with his family and friends at high school was very entertaining.

There are some things that are a bit ambiguous throughout. We never find out exactly what type of mental issues Charlie has; just that he’s been in and out of therapy and occasional hospitalization. The ending is pretty open as well; this is just a look into Charlie’s life.

There is some more mature content in here, including some drug use, language and discussion of sex (including date rape and girls forced to commit unwilling sex acts while under the influence). I will say it’s a lot more mature content then I dealt with in high school, but I may have been somewhat sheltered. I could understand why people might find it offensive, but it’s all a valid part of the story.

Overall I enjoyed the book. It’s a fun read and a good look at a kid struggling with growing up and fitting in in high school. It’s one of those book I will probably keep around for my son to read when he hits that age. I enjoyed the book and thought it was an interesting lesson in growing up and accepting who you are. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 6, 2015 |
A high school freshman, Charlie, writes anonymous letters about his life. The letters reveal Charlie’s naivety as he experiences with new friends, art, mind altering substances, and other sensitive issues. Hidden beneath Charlie’s innocent exterior lies a haunting experience of physical abuse that he faced as a child.

Although Stephen Chbosky’s book concludes with Charlie’s revelation of his emotional repression, his realization of what really matters in life makes the book end on an optimistic note. The intimate portrayals in each letters make the characters come to life. ( )
  thelittlestacks | Mar 27, 2015 |
Super-intelligent, sensitive, yet misunderstood high school freshman Charlie navigates his first year of high school with a little help from his graduating senior friends. The older kids, surprisingly, treat him as an equal, and his English teacher singles him out for special attention because he's so gifted. It's not a bad life for a self-proclaimed "wallflower". Charlie and his friends deal with a whole raft of modern teen problems (including dysfunctional families, unintended pregnancy, and homophobia, just for starters), and there are hints that Charlie may have some unresolved emotional scars from his early childhood. Charlie's issues aren't fully elucidated until they are wrapped up neatly at the end.

Many readers love this book, and it is a quick, easy read. But I guess I'm not part of its demographic. To me Charlie came across as a yet another derivative of Holden Caulfield. Like Holden, Charlie even says "I really do" to underline his own sincerity. I didn't buy a word of it. ( )
  akblanchard | Mar 25, 2015 |
The script could not be written any more platitude. ( )
  payam-tommy | Mar 13, 2015 |
For my family
Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.
“Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn’t.
Because I guess we all forget sometimes. And I think that everyone is special in their own way. I really do.
The inside jokes weren’t jokes anymore. They had become stories. Nobody brought up the bad names or the bad times. And nobody felt sad as long as we could postpone tomorrow with more nostalgia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027344, Paperback)

What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age, and gender, a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles that many kids face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings:

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.
With the help of a teacher who recognizes his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like kudzu. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realization about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie retreats from reality for awhile. But he makes it back in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite," is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

A coming of age novel about Charlie, a freshman in high school who is a wallflower, shy and introspective, and very intelligent. He deals with the usual teen problems, but also with the suicide of his best friend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,554,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible