Dare... to Try Kama Sutra (Positively…

Dare... to Try Kama Sutra (Positively Sexual) (original 2011; edition 2010)

by Axterdam

Series: Dare... to

Member:JeffV
Title:Dare... to Try Kama Sutra (Positively Sexual)
Authors:Axterdam
Info:Hunter House (2010), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***
Tags:Non-fiction, Self improvement, sex

Dare... to Try Kama Sutra by Axterdam (2011)

I am absolutely fascinated by Kama Sutra, which is why I was excited to read this book. I own a shattering number of Kama Sutra books because I enjoy being able to discover positions that gave pleasure in ancient times, and still be able to apply them to my sex life today. There's a reason Kama Sutra is so popular, Dannam and Axterdam explain in this edition. It is the universal practice of maximal sexual delight. This one also had some pretty interesting drawings that were fun to look at and model my own experiences with.

Source: Received directly from publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you!) ( )
  stephanieloves | Jan 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has very little to do with the Kama Sutra. The Kama Sutra is an ancient religious manual on the rites of pleasure. It is famous because it deals explicitly with sex. It does describe some sexual positions but it has also has separate chapters on biting, scratching, hitting, and fellatio. It is not just a list of sexual positions. It also talks about relationships, gardening, and interior decorating. How one should live one's life.

"Dare...To Try Kama Sutra" tries to be a list of sexual positions. It is divided into seven sections categorized by the seven Mortal Sins: Envy, Greed, Pride, Gluttony, Wrath, Lust, and Sloth. This annoyed me because the Kama Sutra is about how sex was part of a truly spiritual life. Equating sex with sin is the exact opposite of the Kama Sutra. Then there is the problem of how do you categorize a sexual position with this list of sins? How is a sexual position wrathful or greedy? This how they did it. Envy is positions where one person has more control of the action than the other. Greed is oral sex and masturbation. Pride is activities that require flexibility and stamina. Gluttony is physically demanding, requiring strength and endurance. Wrath is mostly anal sex and other positions where partners don't face each other. Lust is multiple partners, bondage, strap-ons, and sex tapes. Sloth is easy positions that require very little energy. Forty-nine sexual positions, seven times seven. (Although masturbation, using a swing or a hammock, videotaping yourself, bondage, sex toys, threesomes, and orgies are not really positions.)

There are some activities that would work for lesbians, slightly more that would work for gay men, but most are optimized for heterosexual couples. It is straight but not narrow.

There is an excellent bibliography of classic sex manuals at the end and plenty of references to them throughout. Every entry has a clear cartoon style illustration and a clear description of what it is.

This is an overview of the whole "Dare..." line of sex books. Which is not a bad thing. If you are looking for a small book with forty-nine ideas for how to spice up your sex life this it. If you are looking for a modern introduction to the Kama Sutra this is not it. ( )
  sheherazahde | Jun 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How do you review a book like Dare to try…the Kama Sutra? Do you take it home with you and talk your wife, husband, mistress/mister, or girl/boy-friend into trying some of the things you are reading about? If you try something in a “How to…” sex book and it sucks, does the book suck or was it you that sucked? No pun intended. Can you use the angle that the ancient guru’s of Indian recommended threesomes (or whatever it is that appeals to you in the book) to suggest it to your partner under the excuse of needing to do some “research” for your review? Do you review it on literary merit? Ballsiness? (OK, pun intended that time)

I loved the openness with which sex is discussed in this book. We need more books like this to open people’s minds and get out of the puritanical rut and denial that we seem to have inherited over the years of our American Dream. Open our minds so that we can make the choices that make sense for us with all the data we need to really consider the choices. I’m not surprised that this book comes from Europe, from France to be exact. There is sly and playful humor in a lot of the book as they move through the different positions. The positions are grouped into sections corresponding to the seven deadly sins as defined by Thomas Aquinas. Nice touch.

One thing I really liked about the book was the many references to older books about sex, most of which I have never heard of but which I would definitely be interesting in finding and reading. It would be quite interesting and fascinating to read how a sex manual would be written in the 18th century. I wonder how many of the French books in the bibliography have been translated. The artwork in the book was also nice, the drawings by Axterdam nicely rendered and graphic enough to illustrate without being too much. I’d like to see some of the other titles in this series.

This book was reviewed as part of LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer program.
  jveezer | May 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For a while I thought that the wrong pages must have been glued to this book's cover. This did not seem to have anything to do with the kama sutra at all! But I was enjoying flipping through the pages as the text is pretty witty and fun to read (not something one can often say about a translated manual of sorts).

The drawings on the inside are not nearly so charming as that on the cover. It's kind of like the characters in http://basicinstructions.net/ engaged in explicit sex.

Having finally read the introduction, the book is NOT supposed to be about the kama sutra. It's just about positions in a more general way.

But the text is accessible and the ideas reasonable and our first attempt to execute one of its offerings met with success. What more can one ask from a book like this?
  thmazing | Apr 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a reader, I can certainly appreciate the spin that the authors were going for with this selection of sexual positions. The Kama Sutra the most famous text of its kind, and a synthesis of those ancient philosophies with a modern presentation style that is both easy to read and adds flavor to the original work would have been quite something. Unfortunately, they missed the mark.

For almost every one of the 49 positions in “Dare... to Try Kama Sutra”, there is an extensive paragraph or two (or more!) of quoting from how these positions were covered in other works in the extensive “Dare…to Try” series. In many respects, “Dare... to Try Kama Sutra” reads like a “Best Of” for the series as a whole, rather than providing its own unique interpretations or commentary on the positions covered within. If you’ve been a reader of the series thus far, I would say you can safely skip this work. If you are interested in learning more about a particular kind of sexual practice (say, bondage, or sex outside of the bed), then I’d recommend going to the appropriate “Dare…to Try” text that covers your interest.

If you’re looking for a pleasant, entry level textbook on sexual positions that also covers a smorgasbord of options though, “Dare... to Try Kama Sutra” is itself structured very well. The reading is easy and to the point, and each position is granted an appropriately anatomic artistic rendering. I personally never understood why some similar texts hide from actually showing what the actions they describe look like, or even hiding their descriptions behind layers of euphemisms. You know it’s a sex book, and “Dare... to Try Kama Sutra” knows it’s a sex book. No need to pull punches.

All in all, “Dare... to Try Kama Sutra” is not a bad choice for someone looking for an enjoyable, quick read on a sampling of additions to their sexual escapes. However, the Kama Sutra this isn’t; it’s barely ever referred to. If you were interested in this text because of Kama Sutra, you can pass it by without missing a thing. For members of the former camp though, you could certainly do worse, so you can certainly “Dare... to Try” this entry in the series with minimal risk. ( )
  Vintagecoats | Apr 4, 2011 |

The Kama Sutra is presented here not only as a book of eroticism but one of emotion. It divides the 36 positions into subgroups such as oral sex or spontaneous sex, then categorizes them based on the emotional state, mood, and opportunity necessary to create them. From fast sex to angry sex to sex in the garden, it offers a fresh perspective on an ancient erotic masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Hunter House

An edition of this book was published by Hunter House.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dare...To Try Kama Sutra by Marc Dannam was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible