One Summer by David Baldacci

One Summer

by David Baldacci

6193215,730 (3.46)35

This is my first time reading David Baldacci and it won't be my last. I enjoyed this book a lot. It was difficult to put it down. It kept my interest throughout the book. I sort of guessed how it would end, but it's the way that it ended. It's a sad book and a feel good book. Happy I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  callmejacx | May 20, 2014 |
I thought this book was wonderful! It reminded me a lot of Nicholas Sparks but all the same I really liked it. This was a test run to see if I liked this author. I am going to try one of his mysteries next. If you like NS then you should read this book.
1 vote Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
This was my first book by David Baldacci, although it was an easy read it didn't thrill me or excite me but it did keep me interested enough to finish it. ( )
1 vote jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
From #1 *New York Times* bestselling author David Baldacci comes a moving family drama about learning to love again after heartbreak and loss. **ONE SUMMER** It's almost Christmas, but there is no joy in the house of terminally ill Jack and his family. With only a short time left to live, he spends his last days preparing to say goodbye to his devoted wife, Lizzie, and their three children. Then, unthinkably, tragedy strikes again: Lizzie is killed in a car accident. With no one able to care for them, the children are separated from each other and sent to live with family members around the country. Just when all seems lost, Jack begins to recover in a miraculous turn of events. He rises from what should have been his deathbed, determined to bring his fractured family back together. Struggling to rebuild their lives after Lizzie's death, he reunites everyone at Lizzie's childhood home on the oceanfront in South Carolina. And there, over one unforgettable summer, Jack will begin to learn to love again, and he and his children will learn how to become a family once more. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
one summer by David Baldacci
Jack is on his deathbed, but his wife dies and the kids are sent to other homes.
In SC he gets better and rejoins all the kids to be a family again.
Jack returned from the war with many medals is a construction worker and after he had worked 3 hours he was getting pains in his back, legs, all over.
The doctors told him 6 months if he was lucky. They were in Ohio where her family had moved to due to her dads' job relocation.
Jack was getting worse, on oxygen and taking pain meds.
3 kids and he's not sure how they are going to handle his severe illness.
He's written Lizzie letters, numbered, one for the last weeks of his life.
Lizzie wants to spend one summer at the Palace, her summer home and Jack thought her and the kids would enjoy it.
Lizzie leaves to get his meds at the pharmcy, roads are icy and next he's awake and cops are telling him she's dead.
Lot of changes occur when he's in the nursing home when his daughter smiles at him. He does recover and nobody has a clue as to why.
He collects the kids and bring them all to live in Cleveland, Ohio and they will summer at the Palace, that he can fix up. Lizzie's lighthouse is on the property also.
Lizzie's grandmother who had just passed away had left a note with her lawyer for Jack when he showed up with the kids.
Life of living at the beach and the everyday chores and parties, sand angels, all this brings back nice memories. ( )
1 vote jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
“Wish You Well” is arguably one of Baldacci’s best books, and he tries to recreate that experience with “One Summer.” Abandoning his usual thriller style is a bit of a gamble, and it will be interesting to watch whether readers will embrace or discard his latest book.
added by MikeBriggs | editIndian Express (Jun 17, 2011)

Baldacci’s muscle-bound style doesn’t do subtle: He is best at choreographing fight scenes, rescues and dire brushes with severe weather, all of which, thankfully, are here in abundance. Overall, though, the stilted language and trite sentimentalism are yawn-inducing.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

Yes, it possesses all the subtlety of a dog fight, but it's also choked with pap ("No matter what you do, no matter how hard you fight, life sometimes just doesn't make sense") and so sappy you'd think Baldacci was earning a commission on each tear jerked.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Feb 28, 2011)

Jack, terminally ill and preparing to say goodbye to his family, has a miraculous recovery after his wife is killed in a car accident and struggles to reunite his family at her childhood home on the South Carolina oceanfront.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible