Three Seconds by Anders Roslund
Title:Three Seconds
Authors:Anders Roslund
Other authors:Borge Hellstrom
Info:SO (no date), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:Sweden, drug trade, narcotics trafficking, prison, Eastern Europe, methamphetamine, undercover operations, crime fiction

Three Seconds by Anders Roslund (2009)

Recently added byOlemo, GervaiseFen, gb24, Nancy54, private library, gommo3, carinafasth, nrowe40, cgthunt

English (57)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
An outstanding Swedish thriller. The best book I have read in 2014, I was unable to put it down. Great characters, especially Hoffman, the under-cover cop & Grens, the persistent detective. Hope I can find more books by Roslund & Hellstrom. ( )
  jimrbrown | Jul 29, 2014 |
This novel was very awesome. The authors really took their time with the development of the very intricate plot and incredibly interesting characters. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book, but couldn't overcome what I suspect is a poor translation. The writing was choppy and disjointed. After 100 pages of waiting for it to come together, I decided to give it up. ( )
  CLStern | Jan 31, 2014 |
Thanks to GoodReads and Sterling Publishing for the Advance Reading Copy.

Before I began reading, I promised myself that I would not take the easy way out and fill my comments with Larsson/Mankell comparisons.

Well, I must break my promise - simply because I found Three Seconds to be so much better, certainly than the Millennium Trilogy. Three Seconds is hip, taut and topical. The characters are all highly believable, as is the plot-line. The writing is crisp and beyond genre. The translation is excellent.

All in all, highly recommended to one and all, especially ardent followers of the best in crime dramas regardless of country of origin. ( )
  mabroms | Sep 3, 2013 |
Det som setter Roslund & Hellström i en klasse for seg, er en høy grad av troverdighet. Der de fleste krimforfattere laller rundt med tåpelige massemordere i skandinaviske småbyer, har dette svenske forfatterparet føttene solid plantet i moderne kriminalrealisme. De har lært leksene. De vet hva de skriver om. De kjenner de tunge gutta som sitter på de lange dommene, og politifolkene som fikk dem dit. De vet hvordan den polske amfetaminen produseres, og hvordan den bringes inn, både over landegrensene og inn i de lukkede anstaltene.

De vet at politiet selvsagt lyver, når de benekter bruk av faste informanter. Slik at de også kan benekte at de tidvis må la dem falle. Ofre dem.

«Tre sekunder» er bok nummer fem i serien om Ewert Grens og hans folk i Stockholmspolitiet. Definitivt førstedivisjon! Helt øverst på tabellen.

added by annek49 | editVG, Ingvar Ambjørnsen (Mar 20, 2011)

“Three Seconds” spent the better part of a year on Swedish best-seller lists. Its authors won a prize — the Swedish Academy of Crime Writers’ Award for Swedish Crime Novel of the Year — that has also been awarded to Larsson and Henning Mankell. They know how to deliver the kind of stilted, world-weary verbosity that somehow quickens the pulses of this genre’s readers. Even better, they are on a first-name basis with the Seven Dwarfs of Scandinavian Noir: Guilty, Moody, Broody, Mopey, Kinky, Dreary and Anything-but-Bashful.

Nils Schwartz: Anders Roslunds och Börge Hellströms nya roman Tre sekunder är deras bästa och ställer de flesta internationella konkurrenter i skuggan.
added by annek49 | editExpressen, Nils Schwartz (May 20, 2009)

As intriguing as it sounds, Roslund and Hellström dole out the drama in scenes that suffer from too much information, erratic intercutting and a heavy-handed style that not even an able translator like Kari Dickson can smooth over. Also problematic is the unsympathetic portrait of a character appearing in the authors' four previous novels, Det. Ewert Grens. Grens is gruff to the point of hostility and haunted by guilt about his wife Anni, a fellow police officer injured on the job who recently died after 29 years in a nursing home. Grens has been in a funk over Anni for years, reduced to sleeping on the floor in his office and grieving in a manner that would make any astute supervisor send him to a departmental shrink. Even when Grens is roused to action by the murder of the undercover Danish cop, his bitterness combined with the minute details of the investigation makes reading the novel's first part a dreary affair.

Anders Roslundprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hellström, Börgemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dickson, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vanja, who made our books better
An hour to midnight.

Description from authors website:
 An informant is caught between the police he works for, the ruthless criminals he infiltrates, and the family he loves. Set in present-day Stockholm, the story revolves around Piet Hoffman – the most successful infiltrator ever to work for the Swedish police. Moving up in the hierarchy of a Polish crime organization, the threat to Hoffman’s life grows parallel with his ability to stop the organization’s expansion. His mission: to infiltrate Sweden’s most infamous maximum-security prison. His dilemma: to survive and fail, or to risk his life and succeed.

Ex-convict Piet Hoffman--a family man, a rising member of Stockholm's Polish mafia, and an undercover police informant--is sent to a maximum security prison to make himself the boss of the amphetamine trade so the police can shut it down.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Three Seconds by Anders and Hellström Roslund, Börge was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible