The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe

The Pit and the Pendulum (original 1842; edition 2012)

by Edgar Allan Poe

Member:cerce7
Title:The Pit and the Pendulum
Authors:Edgar Allan Poe
Info:Acheron Press (2012), Kindle Edition, 19 pages

The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe (1842)

Short, creepy as all get pout, macabre, & insidious, it's Poe at his blackest. We never know the age or name of the young man who is sentenced to death & finds himself in a dungeon. As he feels his way around, he attempts to discover the dimensions of his prison, trips, & falls right at the edge of a pit in the center of the cell. Terrified, he retreats to the edge of the cell, where he drinks the water that's provided for him by an unknown hand. When he wakes next, it's discovered that the water was drugged, & he's strapped to a table in what amounts to mummy wrappings, & then he notices the razor edged pendulum above him. In the hours/days(?) even he himself doesn't know, he watches it descend little by little, it's scythed edge sweeping back & forth with a hiss. At first he embraces what is sure to be his certain death, then snaps out of it, & devises an ingenious way to escape his winding sheets. The rest of the story I won't spoil..... ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 17, 2014 |
’Arousing from the most profound of slumbers, we break the gossamer web of some dream.’

Another short story by Edgar Allan Poe that tells of a man that wakes in darkness to be judged and given a death sentence. He loses consciousness and falls into somewhat of a slumber, where he is still aware, but… not.

’The blackness of eternal night encompassed me. I struggled for breath. The intensity of the darkness seemed to oppress and stifle me. The atmosphere was intolerably close.’

Thinking that the sentence may have already been passed, he still did not feel that he himself was dead, but rather he felt that he was being kept in a dungeon of sorts.

This was quite a creepy and disconcerting little story and definitely gave me goosebumps.

’I had but escaped death in one form of agony, to be delivered unto worse than death in some other.’

And I’ve now determined that reading about rats crawling on you while you sit in your cubicle at work can cause some awkwardness for you and everyone around you. I did make some embarrassing sounds that I was not able to sufficiently explain.

Something along the lines of uuuugggggaaaaaaaaaahhhhhahhhhhhheeeeewwwwwwww.

Thanks Edgar. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
I love this story. It's creepy and it lingers in the brain forever. ( )
  Kaethe | Mar 29, 2013 |
I love this story. It's creepy and it lingers in the brain forever. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 19, 2012 |
Waking up in darkness, fearing a live burial; groping in the darkness almost falling into a pit; bound to a framework under a swinging pendulum while rats rush for their midnight snack; sizzling iron walls squeezing together, but not to cook hamburgers. These could be scenes from Indiana Jones and the Dungeons of Toledo. And yet, The Pit and the Pendulum is classic Poe: heart throbbing, adrenaline rushing, spine tinkling and hair raising suspense and terror. The story triumphs not only through its content but also its form; the words and sentences, like spectral needles and blades, pierce memory and imagination to engrave a tangy nightmare. Yes, before Stephen King, there was Edgar Allan Poe. Bon appetite! ( )
  Leonard_Seet | Oct 4, 2012 |
I was SICK - sick unto death with that long agony; and when they at length unbound me, and I was permitted to sit, I felt that my senses were leaving me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0141190620, Paperback)

This selection of Poe's critical writings, short fiction and poetry demonstrates an intense interest in aesthetic issues and the astonishing power and imagination with which he probed the darkest corners of the human mind. "The Fall of the House of Usher" describes the final hours of a family tormented by tragedy and the legacy of the past. In "The Tell Tale Heart", a murderer's insane delusions threaten to betray him, while stories such as "The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Cask of Amontillado" explore extreme states of decadence, fear and hate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:53 -0400)

Edgar Allan Poe is not only the finest, most terrifying writer of Gothic horror tales ever to have lived, he also wrote extraordinary poems. Here, Poe writes of the torments of ingenious, malevolent persecutors and of a mind's own sickening madness. The Pit and the Pendulum is a collection of works from a dark and brilliant genius.… (more)

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible