Two Shadows: The inspirational story of one…

Two Shadows: The inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity (edition 2010)

by Charlie Winger, Dave Cooper (Introduction), Diane Winger (Editor)

172587,099 (4)None
Member:coclimber
Title:Two Shadows: The inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity
Authors:Charlie Winger
Other authors:Dave Cooper (Introduction), Diane Winger (Editor)
Info:CreateSpace (2010), Paperback, 274 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:mountaineering, mountain climbing, adventure, prison, memoir, himalaya, cordillera blanca, aconcagua, denali, prostate cancer, climbing accident, inspirational books, nonfiction

Two Shadows: The inspirational story of one man's triumph over adversity by Charlie Winger

Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See: My Story by Erik Weihenmayer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both autobiographies are about young men who overcame difficulties (going blind; neglect & abuse leading to criminal behavior & prison) and found an outlet in mountaineering as adults.

This is the true story of a mountain climber Charlie Winger. He starts with his early life in Chicago in the late 1930’s. Abandoned by his parents he spent most of his early years living with relatives who did not care that he was doing petty theft. As always happens in real life he was captured and went to prison while he was still a teenager. Winger learned computer skills in prison and after he got out he worked for Boeing where he got more training. Winger realized that he was lucky to have a second chance to make something of himself and he worked to make a better life.

The majority of the book is about the climbing that Winger did all over the world. Each chapter is about a different climb. Winger tells all about preparing for the climb, getting to the climb, and all the details of the climb and the people involved in each climb. He also tells about the different countries in which he climbed.

If you enjoy reading about sports or travel or adventure then you would enjoy reading this book. There is humor in every story and chapters are short, quick reads. If you are just interested in learning about the lifestyle of mountain climbing then you will want to read this book. ( )
  fmgolden | Dec 30, 2010 |
This autobiographical book is filled with Winger’s adventures during 35 years of mountaineering, climbing rock and ice, and world travel. The author has a real knack for telling stories. Some are hair-raising, some are a little crazy, and some had me laughing out loud.

Two Shadows is about more than climbing. It is the story of a boy who grew up in an atmosphere of neglect and abuse. He made numerous bad choices in life which resulted in his being sent to prison at age eighteen. While incarcerated, Winger turned his life around. He obtained his high school diploma, began taking college courses, and learned computer programming. Upon his release, he began a successful career in information technology.

In the introduction, this story is described as "an allegory for whatever personal summits we are attempting to scale. The mental fortitude, perseverance, and bonds of friendship needed to scale the peaks described here are no different than the qualities needed to excel in life in general." I would agree. Although much of the book is dedicated to mountain climbing stories, it is all about overcoming obstacles and reaching your goals in life.

A good read on several levels -- highly recommended. ( )
1 vote coclimber | Oct 7, 2010 |
“Have you ever been convicted of a felony?” the Canadian Border Services Officer inquired. “No,” I responded with a straight face and sweaty palms. “Are you sure you’ve never been convicted of a felony?” he repeated. “Not since 1955,” I admitted, guiltily. So began my journey back in time to a place I thought I had forever left behind.
I slowly pulled myself up to a semi-kneeling position, leaned forward and quickly jerked my ice axe out of the snow. Lunging to my left, I plunged the point of the axe securely back into the snow as I slid several more nerve-racking feet down the slope. I repeated the maneuver several more times before I was able to reach the relative safety of the debris field. Finally, I made it over to a safe spot in the avalanche debris; it took me a few minutes to catch my breath and regain my composure.

Charlie Winger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,471,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible