Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Joss Whedon
Other authors:Chris Samnee, Joss Whedon, Dave Stewart, Steve Morris
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:1-b, 2-not owned, 3-read, 4-library, fiction, science fiction, graphic novel, space travel, series: firefly comics, read 2013, R-2013-02, firefly, serenity, god

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Zack Whedon

This was by far the the best of the Serenity Graphic Novel series. It was told in a unique way. Flash back upon flash back upon flash back. Gives some insight into the Shepard Book character, and why folks could have been so upset at who he was. We find he was so many different people that he may have been the only one who truly knew.

Like the others in this series it was far too short. In fact this could have been several novel in and of itself.

I still want more, but at least this is something. Book is a great character and this only puts the icing to an already delicious cake. ( )
  fulner | Jul 15, 2014 |
There were a lot of unanswered questions about Shepherd Book in the Firefly TV Series and subsequent movie Serenity. Who was he? Where did he come from? Why would the Alliance not only recognize his name, but show him great respect?

This book answers all of those questions by starting with Book’s death. (Sorry if that’s a spoiler, but why are you reading this book if you haven’t already seen Serenity?) The story moves backward through time, showing us a scene here and then linking it to another scene a few years earlier, and so on. Not only do I enjoy that method of storytelling, but I love how smoothly those transitions are made here.

I’m glad to now know the basics of Shepherd Book’s life. I would love to see more stories about him, that dig a little deeper. He’s such a wonderful character and absolutely full of that sort of potential. Enjoy this one, Browncoats, if you haven’t already. ( )
  Jessiqa | Jan 14, 2014 |
We get to learn Shepherd Book's story. It is a very twisted trail, with several name changes and u-turns. He was born in a dark place and was not always on the side of right. A true story of redemption. ( )
  bgknighton | Dec 15, 2013 |
As a Firefly/serenity fan, I loved this so very much. The Story by Joss Whedon and Zack Whedon was just perfect and I also thought the illustration style was well chosen; we finally got Shepherd Book's mysteries past told (yay), though there's still potential for even more stories about him -> which is a wonderful thing, of course! ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
At last. At long last we have the history of Shepherd Book. It's been a long time coming.

Some of it I'd guessed, some if it I couldn't. Enjoyable, but short.

Also, the fact that Zack stole Book's childhood directly from a song by The Mountain Goats is just awesome. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 23, 2013 |
Shepherd, when's the Captain and them comin' round again?
You're gonna come with us.
You're all alone. No one's gonna save you.
You see, this life is a fight and if you sit still, someone will get the drop on you. They'll pin you down.

One of Serenity's greatest mysteries is finally revealed in The Shepherd's Tale, filling in the life of one of the show's most beloved characters - Shepherd Book! Who was Book before meeting Mal and the rest of the Serenity crew, how did he become one of their most trusted allies, and how did he find God in a bowl of soup?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible