Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Joss Whedon
Other authors:Joss Whedon, Chris Samnee, Dave Stewart, Steve Morris
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:1-b, 2-not owned, 3-read, 4-library, fiction, science fiction, graphic novel, space travel, series: firefly comics, read 2013, R-2013-02, firefly, serenity, god

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Zack Whedon

Took the easy way in not explaining anything in any great depth. Would have been happier with less flashbacks and more story. ( )
  bhutton | Oct 9, 2014 |
This book appears to be the last of the graphic novel tie-ins to the Serenity-verse, and it is one about which I have very mixed feelings. I admit, my feelings were mixed even as I picked it up. Did I want the mystery of the Shepherd's origins revealed? Could the "real story" be as good as the mystery? Now that I've read it, I don't know that it is.

This story is told as flashback after flashback. Starting with the attack on Haven and Book's fatal wound -- tracing choices back through his life, each illuminating paths followed later, ending with his leaving home as a teenager. My feelings are mixed because this is a good story. A good story, but...

Any fan of the series couldn't help but cheer many of the Shepherd's life choices, nor fail to sympathize with many of his circumstances. However, without getting too spoilery, this story does not explain at all to my mind, the central mystery of Shepherd's story: why, when the Firefly crew were about to be turned away by the Alliance, would checking Book's ident card lead them to an about face -- bringing him in for treatment before sending them on their merry way? The story in this book could explain some other mysteries, but to me, it makes the treatment described above even less likely.

So, frustrating. But perhaps worth it for a few scenes of Shepherd practicing his faith. And maybe Jayne calling River a jelly brain, who is not offended while she's doing a single hand-stand. Still. Very mixed. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Gah. I just hate hate hate HATE having to look at the pictures. The character development suffers.

HATE. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
This was by far the the best of the Serenity Graphic Novel series. It was told in a unique way. Flash back upon flash back upon flash back. Gives some insight into the Shepard Book character, and why folks could have been so upset at who he was. We find he was so many different people that he may have been the only one who truly knew.

Like the others in this series it was far too short. In fact this could have been several novel in and of itself.

I still want more, but at least this is something. Book is a great character and this only puts the icing to an already delicious cake. ( )
  fulner | Jul 15, 2014 |
There were a lot of unanswered questions about Shepherd Book in the Firefly TV Series and subsequent movie Serenity. Who was he? Where did he come from? Why would the Alliance not only recognize his name, but show him great respect?

This book answers all of those questions by starting with Book’s death. (Sorry if that’s a spoiler, but why are you reading this book if you haven’t already seen Serenity?) The story moves backward through time, showing us a scene here and then linking it to another scene a few years earlier, and so on. Not only do I enjoy that method of storytelling, but I love how smoothly those transitions are made here.

I’m glad to now know the basics of Shepherd Book’s life. I would love to see more stories about him, that dig a little deeper. He’s such a wonderful character and absolutely full of that sort of potential. Enjoy this one, Browncoats, if you haven’t already. ( )
  Jessiqa | Jan 14, 2014 |
Shepherd, when's the Captain and them comin' round again?
You're gonna come with us.
You're all alone. No one's gonna save you.
You see, this life is a fight and if you sit still, someone will get the drop on you. They'll pin you down.

One of Serenity's greatest mysteries is finally revealed in The Shepherd's Tale, filling in the life of one of the show's most beloved characters - Shepherd Book! Who was Book before meeting Mal and the rest of the Serenity crew, how did he become one of their most trusted allies, and how did he find God in a bowl of soup?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,503,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible