Serenity, Vol. 3: The Shepherd's Tale by…

Serenity, Vol. 3: The Shepherd's Tale (edition 2010)

by Joss Whedon, Joss Whedon, Chris Samnee, Dave Stewart, Steve Morris

Member:fyrefly98
Title:Serenity, Vol. 3: The Shepherd's Tale
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Joss Whedon, Chris Samnee, Dave Stewart, Steve Morris
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:1-b, 2-not owned, 3-read, 4-library, fiction, science fiction, graphic novel, space travel, series: firefly comics, read 2013, R-2013-02, firefly, serenity, god

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Zack Whedon

Starting with the Alliance massacre at the Haven Mining Colony (seen in Serenity), The Shepherd's Tale explores Shepherd Book's backstory, jumping back in time with each chapter: two years, during his time on Serenity; two years before that, when he left the Abbey to rejoin the world - and was recruited as a passenger by Kaylee; ten years before that, he's drinking alone in a bar and getting trounced by bitter Alliance soldiers. And so on and so forth.

I wasn't too crazy about this narrative choice at first, but the OMG surprise twist ending completely upended my thinking on the matter. In light of the ending, it's easy to see why Whedon chose to order the book this way.

As for the artwork, it's generally pretty great - serviceable when needed, downright lovely at times - though some of the military-grade white dudes are rather interchangeable and hard to tell apart. Jayne's spot on; Kaylee is close but not quite, so much so that I had a kind of uncanny valley thing going; and it was pretty cool to watch Shep reverse age as we travel back in time.

I accidentally read this one out of order, but luckily it's far enough removed from the other comics that this wasn't an issue. ( )
  smiteme | May 18, 2016 |
I really liked how Shepherd's story was unfolded, piece by piece. The only thing I didn't like was how short it was but I guess that just rings true for the entirety of Firefly/Serenity. ( )
  TrekkieChickReads | Feb 9, 2016 |
I want this!
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
  TrekkieChick29 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Finally fans of Joss Whedon’s Firefly are given some of the back history to character Shepherd Book. We learn what made the man who was so well train in arsenals and be a man of the cloth.

The artwork is probably the best thing about this volume of Serenity.

The background story was mediocre. I feel that Shepherd’s story could have been stretched out to more graphic novels and instead it loss something. It has the feeling of being chopped and no real connection or heart.

Since I was a fan of Firefly I know the characters and was of course interested in the back story that was not told in the show or movie. Anyone not a fan of Firefly, will probably have no interest in this third volume.

Even though I had some interest in Shepherd Book’s story this was less interesting than imagined. I had hoped for something more exciting. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jul 9, 2015 |
Shepherd, when's the Captain and them comin' round again?
You're gonna come with us.
You're all alone. No one's gonna save you.
You see, this life is a fight and if you sit still, someone will get the drop on you. They'll pin you down.

One of Serenity's greatest mysteries is finally revealed in The Shepherd's Tale, filling in the life of one of the show's most beloved characters - Shepherd Book! Who was Book before meeting Mal and the rest of the Serenity crew, how did he become one of their most trusted allies, and how did he find God in a bowl of soup?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,774,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible