Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Joss Whedon
Other authors:Joss Whedon, Chris Samnee, Dave Stewart, Steve Morris
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Hardcover, 56 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I have read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:1-b, 2-not owned, 3-read, 4-library, fiction, science fiction, graphic novel, space travel, series: firefly comics, read 2013, R-2013-02, firefly, serenity, god

Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale by Zack Whedon

Finally fans of Joss Whedon’s Firefly are given some of the back history to character Shepherd Book. We learn what made the man who was so well train in arsenals and be a man of the cloth.

The artwork is probably the best thing about this volume of Serenity.

The background story was mediocre. I feel that Shepherd’s story could have been stretched out to more graphic novels and instead it loss something. It has the feeling of being chopped and no real connection or heart.

Since I was a fan of Firefly I know the characters and was of course interested in the back story that was not told in the show or movie. Anyone not a fan of Firefly, will probably have no interest in this third volume.

Even though I had some interest in Shepherd Book’s story this was less interesting than imagined. I had hoped for something more exciting. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jul 9, 2015 |
This is the beautifully told backstory of Shepherd Book, the enigmatic missionary from Firefly. I didn't think the art was quite as good as some of the previous Serenity graphic novels, but the story is really very strong. ( )
  wanack | Jun 24, 2015 |
A slightly too-simple tale of Shepherd Book's origins. The soup bit was quite nicely done. The rest, a bit meh. ( )
  questbird | Feb 4, 2015 |
Gah. I just hate hate hate HATE having to look at the pictures. The character development suffers.

HATE. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale by Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon and Chris Samnee (2010) – The reader learns much about the life of the enigmatic Shepherd character in this graphic novel. It begins on the planet Haven where he steps out of his spiritual persona to save the mining colony from an Alliance gunship because he knows where to hit the ship to “drop it like a rock.” However he is seriously injured during the fight. Then the book presents a series of flashbacks showing Shepherd in different personas and situations as he journeys through life. First we join him two years ago after he had left the Abby. Then we meet him two years prior to that when he decided to leave the Abby to help people. Then we see him ten years before that when he was homeless and aimless. Six years earlier we see him as a ruthless but ineffective military leader, who is exiled. It’s a fascinating story that flashes back four more years in Shepherd’s life, then another four years, another six years, then ten more years when he was a boy. This story presents a very interesting look at the lifetime journey of this mysterious character. ( )
  clark.hallman | Dec 10, 2014 |
Shepherd, when's the Captain and them comin' round again?
You're gonna come with us.
You're all alone. No one's gonna save you.
You see, this life is a fight and if you sit still, someone will get the drop on you. They'll pin you down.

One of Serenity's greatest mysteries is finally revealed in The Shepherd's Tale, filling in the life of one of the show's most beloved characters - Shepherd Book! Who was Book before meeting Mal and the rest of the Serenity crew, how did he become one of their most trusted allies, and how did he find God in a bowl of soup?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,080,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible