How Nancy Drew Saved My Life (Red Dress Ink…

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life (Red Dress Ink Novels) (edition 2006)

by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Member:mjirsch
Title:How Nancy Drew Saved My Life (Red Dress Ink Novels)
Authors:Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Info:Red Dress Ink (2006), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:**

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

This is one of the worst books I have ever read. It is not a mystery. It does not even rank up there with Harlequin romance. The ending is awful and degrading to women. Do not waste your time on this bad example of chick lit. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Apr 27, 2014 |
3.5 stars

After Charlotte's heart is broken by her previous (married) employer, in order to get away, she accepts a nanny position in Iceland. Unfortunately, she later finds herself falling for her new employer. What she's not sure about is where his wife is?

I thought this was cute. I loved all the references to Nancy Drew and there were shades of Jane Eyre. It really is a mindless, fluffy, quick read, though. Don't expect too much out of it. Though some didn't like the ending, I did. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 13, 2014 |
Started off very promising but turned into a bad harlequin romance. How can a character be so stupid??? ( )
  andsoitgoes | Aug 17, 2012 |
I bought this book assuming it was a mystery (well, it was being sold in they mystery section of my favorite used book store). Nope. More of a romance - and I should state that it was the first and only romance I've ever actually liked.

A good read. Very engaging, but lighter than most of the books I normally read.
  theyarnstashattacked | May 27, 2011 |
Charlotte Bell has had a bit of a rough childhood, and now her early adult years don't look to be getting much better. Raised by a stern, unloving aunt, Charlotte has been working as a nanny to get out of the house. After having her heart torn to shreds by her first employer, she's off on another nanny assignment -- this time to Iceland, and it just might be that she didn't learn from her mistakes the first time.

This was a fun read. It is paced more as a romance novel than a mystery story, but there are late-blooming elements of intrigue. It has a nice Jane Eyre mirroring going on, mostly done by setting, some elements of plot, and characteristically stilted dialogue, but it is entertaining to see it all updated with a pop-culture flair. The characters are about as fleshed out as you'd expect for a romance novel--some more than others, but everything stays mostly on a surface level except for the narrator.

The ending is disappointing. I think the author was going for an upbeat, life-affirming, this-character-now-knows-herself vibe, but it misses the mark a bit. Either the plot-element or some of the character elements needed to be slightly different for it to work. Given the bulk of the book's tone, that the story isn't completely wrapped up with a bow by the end feels a touch disingenuous. If it has been a different sort of book, it could have been a nicely clever ending, but as it was, it was the one slightly sour pitch to an otherwise light read. ( )
  doxtator | Nov 27, 2009 |
For my mother, Lucille Baratz, one of the world's greatest ladies, and the women who gave me my first Nancy Drew. Mom, If I keep putting off dedicating a book to you, will you stay with us forever?
People think it must be easy for you, when they see you out here on the wire.

Broken, smashed and stomped in the mud

That's how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her emotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland, working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might be just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up -- and chill out. This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even read all fifty-six original Nancy Drew books in preparation. Unfortunately, she's neglected to find out anything about Iceland or to look into the background of her oddly compelling employer. When Charlotte stumbles onto the trail of a mystery that only she can solve, she'll need every shred of Nancy's wisdom to keep her life -- and her heart -- safe!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible