Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold
1,855None3,717 (4.04)1 / 70
adventure (8) audio (7) audiobook (11) Barrayar (15) bujold (21) diplomacy (8) ebook (22) fantasy (19) fiction (167) hardcover (11) Miles (11) Miles Vorkosigan (54) military (17) military sf (17) mystery (18) novel (15) own (14) paperback (17) read (33) romance (8) science fiction (454) series (34) sf (147) sff (50) signed (12) space opera (98) speculative fiction (14) Vorkosigan (149) Vorkosigan Saga (29) vorkosiverse (13)

English (36)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
3.5 stars

Cetaganda is the ninth novel that Lois McMaster Bujold published in her popular VORKOSIGAN SAGA but, chronologically, the story takes place earlier in the sequence, between The Vor Game and Ethan of Athos. If you??re new to this series, I (and the author) recommend reading these novels in order of internal chronology which is how we have them listed here at Fantasy Literature. I read some of them out of order because of how they were presented in the Baen Omnibus editions and I regret that. The story flows much better if you read them chronologically. (Still, though, any order is better than not reading them at all ƒ?? this is a great series!)

In Cetaganda Miles Vorkosigan, the ƒ??mutant,ƒ? and his tall handsome cousin Ivan are off on a diplomatic mission for their... Read More http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/cetaganda/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A little older and somewhat wiser Miles is on a diplomatic mission to attend a state funeral, which should be simple but this is Miles we're talking about. It turns out that Cetagandan society and politics are much more complicated than the Barrayarans had any notion of. I liked seeing Miles with his cousin Ivan in this story. Watching Miles trying to keep Ivan from making the wrong move is interesting, especially since following the rules is what would be the wrong move. As usual, Miles is having to make it up as he goes.

I will certainly be continuing the series.
  hailelib | Mar 28, 2014 |
[b:Cetaganda|76812|Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)|Lois McMaster Bujold|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348687028s/76812.jpg|2802]. Uh. I’m not sure how I feel about it? On the one hand, the story is cohesive and interesting and Miles (and Ivan) are great in it. There’s conspiracies, which I like, and some action stuff (also good), and we get to learn more about a planet other than the two places Miles has lived on.

But! Cetaganda (the planet) made me really uncomfortable.

Read the rest of my review here. ( )
  herebebooks | Jul 3, 2013 |
This entry in the Vorkosigan Saga struck me as a little lighter than the others. It was very enjoyable, full of sparkling dialogue and the oversized personality of Miles. They mystery at the heart of the story was a bit contrived, I thought, and this one's not going to be my favorite. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Cetaganda opens with Miles and Ivan going on a diplomatic mission to Cetaganda. You know, the one that keeps trying to invade Barrayar. (Fortunately, they don’t know that Miles was the one who foiled that last attempt.) The Dowager Empress of Cetaganda has just died and they are going to witness her funeral.

It wasn’t my favorite of the series so far, mostly because I missed the supporting cast. It was a little more plot and a little less character driven, which I definitely missed. It did give a bit more depth and substance to Cetaganda, beyond the simple “Let’s go invade Barrayar!” types which they’ve been so far. I just cared far less about the Cetagandan society, which meant that my emotional investment was pretty much solely on Miles and Ivan’s behalf.

However, that’s not a terrible thing, and Bujold’s writing keeps me happy anyway.

(ALSO! The cover for this was hilariously awful. I don’t even know what to say about it. It’s one of those covers where the artist technically got everything right, and yet it’s just so wrong.) [Nov. 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jim and Toni
"Now is it, 'Diplomacy is the art of war pursued by other men,'" asked Ivan, or was it the other way around? 'War is diplo--'"
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671877445, Mass Market Paperback)

Miles is stuck visiting Cetaganda with his doltish cousin Ivan, representing Barrayaran nobility at an Imperial funeral. Miles must have suspected that it wasn't going to be dull after the bogus docking instructions and the odd man who launched himself into their ship and started to pull a weapon on them. Three attacks and a mysterious murder later, Miles is juggling two emperors, two secret services, and a half-dozen traitors--nd that's not even counting the women.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:14 -0400)

The hero, Miles Vorkosigan, is sent to represent his planet at the funeral of the empress of the planet Cetaganda. While there he becomes involved in a power struggle for the control of software used by Cetaganda's rulers to genetically engineer an entire people. By the author of Mirror Dance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible