Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold
1,893403,622 (4.04)1 / 98

English (39)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold continues the Vorkosigan saga. This book follows the adventures of Miles and his cousin, Ivan as they travel as diplomatic representatives to the Empire of Cetaganda for the funeral of the Empress. Upon their arrival it quickly becomes apparent that their 10 day trip of social observation and parties is giving way to a murder mystery. Miles quickly decides he must investigate, and as he does so he uncovers a treason plot that threatens to implicate Barrayar.

I like the fact that Miles is far from perfect, at times his motives are selfish and driven by his own desire to be recognized and he appears to think no one but himself is capable of doing the job. He has been criticised previously for his wish to go his own way and not follow orders and once again he is up to his old tricks of striking out on his own. The addition of his cousin Ivan was a nice touch, he makes a good foil for Miles, being less serious, less introspective but always there for Miles when he needs him. Humor plays a large part and the practical joke played on Ivan during his pursuit of a couple of extremely attractive women was quite hilarious.

I loved the world building in this book. The Empire of Cetaganda is a mysterious, multi-layered and very planned society. Their philosophy and culture is interesting, their strict rules and limited social hierarchy of Ba, Ghem and Haut along with their preoccupation with genetic perfection was used flawlessly to enhance the plot.

As the mystery is revealed, it involves the highest echelons of the Empires’ society and although Miles has saved Barrayar’s honor and managed to unravel the political intrigue at the very heart of the empire, it is decided that although he has the gratitude of Cetaganda, this episode should remain a secret. Once again Miles is the hero of the hour but, also once again, his deeds will not be recognized publicly. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 4, 2014 |
I love Miles. ( )
  cendri | May 30, 2014 |
I think I am doing quite well with my schedule of reading the entire Vorkosigan Saga this year. I should also, perhaps, start my review by saying that this one, so far, stands out for me as the best in the series.

This was, perhaps the first Miles book I have read, where he is downside and is still full of his usual stratagems and blunderings. The Cetagandans, both the ghem and hauts, are delightful; and then there are the haut women; who reminded me of a cooler version of Aes Sedai, though without the superpowers. I shall refrain from speaking of their other virtues, which I think Miles's inner thoughts in the book have summed up quite well. ( )
  PiyushC | Apr 21, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Cetaganda is the ninth novel that Lois McMaster Bujold published in her popular VORKOSIGAN SAGA but, chronologically, the story takes place earlier in the sequence, between The Vor Game and Ethan of Athos. If you??re new to this series, I (and the author) recommend reading these novels in order of internal chronology which is how we have them listed here at Fantasy Literature. I read some of them out of order because of how they were presented in the Baen Omnibus editions and I regret that. The story flows much better if you read them chronologically. (Still, though, any order is better than not reading them at all ƒ?? this is a great series!)

In Cetaganda Miles Vorkosigan, the ƒ??mutant,ƒ? and his tall handsome cousin Ivan are off on a diplomatic mission for their... Read More http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/cetaganda/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A little older and somewhat wiser Miles is on a diplomatic mission to attend a state funeral, which should be simple but this is Miles we're talking about. It turns out that Cetagandan society and politics are much more complicated than the Barrayarans had any notion of. I liked seeing Miles with his cousin Ivan in this story. Watching Miles trying to keep Ivan from making the wrong move is interesting, especially since following the rules is what would be the wrong move. As usual, Miles is having to make it up as he goes.

I will certainly be continuing the series.
  hailelib | Mar 28, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jim and Toni
"Now is it, 'Diplomacy is the art of war pursued by other men,'" asked Ivan, or was it the other way around? 'War is diplo--'"
Information from the Lithuanian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671877445, Mass Market Paperback)

Miles is stuck visiting Cetaganda with his doltish cousin Ivan, representing Barrayaran nobility at an Imperial funeral. Miles must have suspected that it wasn't going to be dull after the bogus docking instructions and the odd man who launched himself into their ship and started to pull a weapon on them. Three attacks and a mysterious murder later, Miles is juggling two emperors, two secret services, and a half-dozen traitors--nd that's not even counting the women.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:14 -0400)

The hero, Miles Vorkosigan, is sent to represent his planet at the funeral of the empress of the planet Cetaganda. While there he becomes involved in a power struggle for the control of software used by Cetaganda's rulers to genetically engineer an entire people. By the author of Mirror Dance.… (more)

Current discussions

Vorkosigan Group Read: Miles, Mystery and Mayhem in 2014 Category Challenge

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible