Cetaganda (1996)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Series: Vorkosigan: Chronological Order (6), Vorkosigan: Publication Order (10)

2,343484,537 (4.02)1 / 172
When the Cetagandan empress dies, Miles Vorkosigan and his cousin Ivan are sent to Cetaganda for her funeral as diplomatic representatives of Barrayar. Upon arrival, the two men are inexplicably attacked by a servant of the late empress. When the same servant turns up dead the next day, Miles and Ivan find themselves in the middle of a mystery. Miles tries to play detective in a strange, complicated, and deceptively alien culture, while lascivious Ivan manages to get himself involved with several noble females at the same time, a diplomatic no-no of the first order. As the plot thickens, it becomes clear that it's up to Miles to save the empire.… (more)

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
reread ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Re-Read 2/2/18:

Buddy Read!

Mystery. Intrigue. Politics. A mouth that consistently gets Miles in trouble.

Not much to say here except the world-building is quite fascinating. Cetaganda's culture is a real treat, but I think I'm always going to focus on the trees. You know, the cats. :)

Funny, fast, and it's so WEIRD how Miles is so honorable. Some might say... stupid... with women. Any women. All women.

Boys. lol

Original Review:

I really enjoyed the inner workings of Cetaganda and the intrigue. Miles is always a treat, not only because he's such a brat, but also because he is the author of his own troubles. Without such verve and curiosity, then very little might have come of the plot, but fortunately, we're talking about Miles. No space battles this time, but that's hardly the draw for the novels. Seeing how Miles gets himself into trouble is.
Great fun! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
As per usual, Cetaganda is a very enjoyable book in the Vorkosigan series. It gripped me a bit less than usual, which still makes it a very good book. We follow Miles as he saves yet another empire. I still enjoy both the dry wit and how you've got to think along to get the most of the subtle fun between the lines. Other than that, it felt a bit like Yet Another Adventure, where usually the Vorkosigan books tend to contain series-changing events. Great scifi in any case, I'm looking forward to the next one. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
This series just gets better. I felt she had great fun with both the characters and the Cetaganda society in this one. I must say I felt a bit sorry for Ivan. I get the feeling this episode will have repercussions later, and I can't wait to read about them. ( )
  MargaretAnnC | Mar 23, 2020 |
August 2019 reread via audiobook: I am increasing my rating of this novel from 3 to 4*, partly due to Grover Gardner's excellent narration but also partly because I found I had shortchanged this plot the first time around. This novel has less "shoot-'em-up" adventure than the earlier Miles' novels but the diplomatic setting shows some other skills he has and there is still plenty of action. More thoughts below:

Miles has grown into his role in this entry in the Vorkosigan series. The Cetagandans are an intriguing society and their obsession with their genetics is something that I can easily imagine growing out of our current Earth culture. Bujold does an amazing job of presenting this possible future while leaving the question of whether it is a desirable one for the reader to decide. Of course, Cetaganda is an enemy of our hero's home world of Barrayar, so there's a nudge to dislike it, but it is also a powerful and complex Empire, which demonstrates its success. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 1, 2019 |

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jewell, JaneAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jim and Toni
"Now is it, 'Diplomacy is the art of war pursued by other men,'" asked Ivan, "or was it the other way around? 'War is diplo--'"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,489,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible