Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell

Doc: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Mary Doria Russell

Member:rosielibrarian
Title:Doc: A Novel
Authors:Mary Doria Russell
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Doc Holliday, Tombstone, Dodge City, American West, Wyatt Earp, Morgan Earp, Earp brothers

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

What fine storytelling! Meticulous attention to details of every kind as well from dentistry to poker, bare knuckle boxing to period clothing . . . I was struck too, by the fact there was a whole group of people, like the Earps who made their lives out of staying ahead of 'civilization,' both profiting from the chaos of the newly settled and unable to live within a more domesticated environment. ( )
  sibyx | Aug 18, 2015 |
The critic of The Washington Post named this as one of the best fiction books of 2010, which was my reason for reading it. I really don't think I agree with him. I almost gave the book three stars, but when I looked at other books that merited three stars in my reviews, this one was lacking. This novel is the story of Doc Holliday of TV and OK Corral fame. Wyatt Earp and his brothers and Bat Masterson are also major characters in the novel. I admit that my knowledge of these individuals is limited by the 1960's Westerns that were a major part of my television viewing at that time. I guess I just found the book rather boring. There were way too many descriptions of Doc’s consumptive coughs and blood filled handkerchiefs. (Did he have tuberculosis in the TV show? I was rather young at the time, but I also do not remember that “Doc” referred to his profession as a dentist, not an M.D.) I would only recommend this book if you are a true fan of Westerns and enjoy reading about cowboys living it up in the brothels and saloons of Dodge City after a long cattle drive. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Yes, this is every bit as good as all the warblers say it is. The story of John Henry Holliday (Doc, we always call him), the legendary gun-fighter who really wasn't one, but who could by God shoot, among other things. The first sentences of the book set the tone, and tell the reader what to expect... "He began to die when he was twenty-one, but tuberculosis is slow and sly and subtle. The disease took 15 years to hollow out his lungs so completely they could no longer keep him alive. In all that time he was allowed a single season of something like happiness." This is the story of that season, Doc's days in Dodge, where he practiced some real fine dentistry, dealt a ruthless game of faro to keep money in his pocket, forged an uneasy friendship with Wyatt Earp and shared his love of classic literature and music with Kate Harony, a prostitute of possibly noble Hungarian heritage. He also learned to Live as much as his stricken lungs would allow, and pursued the truth about the death of a young boy whose fate no one else seemed to care about. However many versions of the Earp/Holliday legend you've read or seen, I guarantee Russell's characterizations will blank those others right out, and THIS is what you will believe about these men. No Val Kilmer, no Kurt Russell, no Hugh O'Brian, no Cesar Romero, no Kirk Douglas...the real deal in my mind now and forever more will live in the pages of Doc. And, btw, this woman can tell a story. I'm thrilled she turned her talents to this one. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Aug 14, 2015 |
Doc is historical fiction about the life of John Henry "Doc" Holliday, known for his role in the 1881 Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. The events of this novel precede the famous gunfight, covering John's youth, his early career as a dentist and gambler in Texas, and later Dodge City, Kansas, his friendship with Wyatt Earp and his brothers, and life with his mistress, Kate.

Author Mary Doria Russell brings Dodge City to life; it's a rough and tumble town that will be familiar to anyone who has ever watched a movie western. Dodge has many colorful characters including corrupt officials, prostitutes, and cowboys. The Civil War is still fresh in everyone's minds, and tempers are never far from the boiling point.

John Holliday was well educated and an accomplished musician, when he decided to study dentistry. Plans to go into joint practice with his cousin Robert fell through when John became ill with tuberculosis. He moved west in search of a more hospitable climate. No doubt this prolonged his life considerably, but it also forced him into working as a dealer in a gambling hall, with dentistry more as a sideline. John's relationship with Kate is volatile, but the two can't seem to live without each other. And when John's tuberculosis flares up and he has a bad spell, Kate is always there for him.

In marked contrast to legend, author Russell portrays Doc as generous and kind, going to great lengths to help a friend in need or avenge injustice. Doc pays for a lavish funeral for a young man who died under suspicious circumstances, and does not rest until he has discovered the truth, at which point he takes care of it in true Dodge City style. His close friendship with Wyatt Earp inspires two life-changing acts of kindness. Russell recently published another book, Epitaph, which covers the gunfight and details of Earp's life, and I will definitely be reading that book soon. ( )
1 vote lauralkeet | Jul 19, 2015 |
Mary Doria Russell's fictional account of the life of gunfighter John Henry Doc Holliday contains more truth than any published biographies and probably even more than the actual events. ( )
  Unkletom | Jul 5, 2015 |
For Art Nolan, who told me what Wyatt knew; for Eddie Nolan, who showed us what John Henry had to learn; for Alice McKey Holliday, who raised a fine young man; with thanks to Bob Price and Gretchen Batton.

The year is 1878, peak of the Texas cattle trade. The place is Dodge City, Kansas, a saloon-filled cow town jammed with liquored-up adolescent cowboys and young Irish hookers. Violence is random and routine, but when the burned body of a mixed-blood boy named Johnnie Sanders is discovered, his death shocks a part-time policeman named Wyatt Earp. And it is a matter of strangely personal importance to Doc Holliday, the frail twenty-six-year-old dentist who has just opened an office at No. 24, Dodge House.

And that is where the unlikely friendship of Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp really begins—before Wyatt Earp is the prototype of the square-jawed, fearless lawman; before Doc Holliday is the quintessential frontier gambler; before the gunfight at the O.K. Corral links their names forever in American frontier mythology—when neither man wanted fame or deserved notoriety.

Authentic, moving, and witty, Mary Doria Russell’s fifth novel redefines these two towering figures of the American West.

After the burned body of a mixed-blood boy, Johnnie Sanders, is discovered in 1878 Dodge City, Kansas, part-time policeman Wyatt Earp enlists the help of his professional-gambler friend Doc Holliday.

229 wanted1 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Doc by Mary Doria Russell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,134,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible