Doc by Mary Doria Russell

Authors:Mary Doria Russell
Info:
Tags:western

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

Amazingly engrossing story about Doc Holliday. Where he came from, his relationship with Wyatt Earp, his lifestyle and his companion Kate are all part of this historical fiction novel. The movies have not even touched on the man that was Doc Holliday. ( )
  Jane1551 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Do you think you know the infamous Doc Holliday who was in a gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona with the Earp brothers? Mary Doria Russell's literary historical fiction explores the earlier life of John Henry Holliday, from his early days growing up in Georgia with his cousins to his fight with tuberculosis and eventual move to Dodge City, Kansas, where he forged his friendship with Morgan Earp and his brother, Wyatt.

I've now read two books by this author, and am convinced that she could write about nearly any theme in any genre with aplomb. I enjoyed sitting down with this book for long stretches and falling into her descriptions of life in the American West and the backstories of various characters. The narrative voice sometimes comes out and talks to the reader, who is expected to know a little more than I did about future events, but this only slightly diminished my enjoyment of a truly superb book. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 15, 2014 |
I've never been interested in the Wild West, the western genre (books or film), or this particular cast of characters (Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, etc.). In fact, I've always avoided it like the plague and will probably continue to do so in the future. However, Russell makes late 19th Century Dodge, Kansas, come alive in the most fascinating and delightful way, where even a skeptic such as myself is swept into the time and place. I was enchanted. Of course, rather than an action-packed Western, this is an in-depth character study of the charming, well-educated, consumptive, Southern gentleman Doc Holliday and the earnest, moralistic, somewhat dimwitted, but yet oddly likable lawman Wyatt Earp. The supporting characters are well-fleshed out too.

The novel focuses on the origins of the Holliday/Earp friendship a few years prior to the Gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona (which I had heard of, but knew nothing about, before looking it up when reading this novel) and how such an unlikely friendship blossomed between such fundamentally different personalities out of necessity and just the basic need for human bonding and camaraderie in a hostile environment. It also touches on the theme of reinvention, where almost every character gets second and third leases on life in the chaotic anonymity of a dangerous frontier town. On a side note, I found the exploration of the racial and regional tensions following the aftermath of the Civil War/Reconstruction quite interesting too and not something I had thought much about when considering the Wild West. Highly recommended, even if you think the subject matter won't interest you. ( )
1 vote DorsVenabili | Sep 27, 2014 |
Doc Holiday becomes a very real, clever and a somewhat distraught character in this captivating novel. It is written in such great detail and historical perfection, that one must stay clear of distractions to absorb the brutal allure of this dusty, desolate time. The Earp brothers lives intertwine with Doc's, to bring a real Western meaty and gritty substance to the Georgian flair of Mr. Holiday. Excellent book, highly recommended. ( )
  tippygirl | Aug 19, 2014 |
DOC, Mary Doria Russell's novel of Doc Holliday in Dodge City, a couple years BEFORE the notorious shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, was, quite simply, a fascinating read.

Painstakingly researched and beautifully written, it was a book I hated to put down, but since it ran nearly 400 pages, I was forced to take breaks occasionally, which gave me time to consider all the historical and biographical information woven so expertly and seamlessly into the story of one year in the life of Dr. John Henry Holliday in wild and wooly Dodge City, Kansas. His early association with the Earp brothers and Bat Masterson is prominently featured, and we learn that Holliday was actually closer to Morgan Earp than he ever was to Wyatt, who is presented here as honest, humorless, stolid, dependable, and maybe just a bit on the dim side, if not illiterate. Younger brother Morgan, on the other hand, enjoyed books and often discussed Dostoevsky, Dickens and other writers with Doc, an educated 'southern gentleman' starved for such talk.

I've seen most of the movies about the Earps and Doc Holliday, and was a kid fan of the fifties TV show, "Wyatt Earp." ("Long live his fame / And long live his glory / And long may his story be told!")

Strong-jawed actor Hugh O'Brien as Wyatt Earp was presented as a dandy, with black frock coat, flat brimmed hat, string tie and gold brocade vest, etc. Well, according to Russell, that would better describe Dodge's Sherrif Bat Masterson, a short fat dandy who made money on the side by promoting, refereeing and betting on illegal bare-knuckle boxing matches outside the city limits. (And yeah, I remember actor Gene Barry too, tall, slim and miscast as Masterson in that TV show.) About the only thing the TV show got right about Wyatt was his stern, unsmiling demeanor, which, we learn from Russell, was partly because as a child he was brutally beaten by his violent father, leaving him without any front teeth.
Doc fixed this, by making Wyatt a bridge, finally allowing him to smile and even laugh a little without feeling self-conscious. (And didja know that such bridges and dental devices in those times (1878) were often fashioned from real human teeth gathered from the battlefields of the Civil War?) And remember that cool long-barreled Buntline Special six-shooter O'Brien's Wyatt packed? Nope. Pure fiction, according to Russell. (Shucks, all of us kids wanted one of those guns.)

A surprise character here, to me, was comic song-and-dance man, Eddie Foy, who was playing that year at the Comique ('Commie-Q') Saloon in Dodge. His inclusion in DOC brought back memories of that classic fifties film, THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS, starring Bob Hope as Foy.

So there is plenty of myth-busting by Russell in DOC, but it's handled in a most enjoyable and educational way. And didja know that Doc Holliday was actually a not-too-distant cousin of Margaret Mitchell, and that she actually used parts of the Holliday family history in writing GONE WITH THE WIND? Now THAT I found very interesting.

But the real, beating heart of DOC is found in the portrayal of his off-and-on years-long relationship with the fiery, high-born, highly educated, multi-lingual Hungarian prostitute, Maria Katarina Harony, or 'Kate.' Because the real John Henry Holliday is revealed in this relationship - the delicate boy who lost his mother to tuberculosis, the same insidious disease which would take Doc's own life after years of suffering. Doc and Kate were kindred souls who, by turns, comforted and tortured each other. And the scenes of Doc's 'bad spells' with the disease are disturbingly, graphically grim, as well as heartbreakingly ineffably sad, particularly when you know that it's a battle he cannot win.

But I go on and on, about a book that's already been reviewed and praised hundreds and hundreds of times. And most deservedly so. I absolutely LOVED this book and the way it made frontier Kansas come alive and countless disparate historical figures come together. Mary Doria Russell is one helluva writer. Very highly recommended. ( )
2 vote TimBazzett | Aug 17, 2014 |
For Art Nolan, who told me what Wyatt knew; for Eddie Nolan, who showed us what John Henry had to learn; for Alice McKey Holliday, who raised a fine young man; with thanks to Bob Price and Gretchen Batton.
He began to die when he was twenty-one, but tuberculosis is slow and sly and subtle.

The year is 1878, peak of the Texas cattle trade. The place is Dodge City, Kansas, a saloon-filled cow town jammed with liquored-up adolescent cowboys and young Irish hookers. Violence is random and routine, but when the burned body of a mixed-blood boy named Johnnie Sanders is discovered, his death shocks a part-time policeman named Wyatt Earp. And it is a matter of strangely personal importance to Doc Holliday, the frail twenty-six-year-old dentist who has just opened an office at No. 24, Dodge House.

And that is where the unlikely friendship of Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp really begins—before Wyatt Earp is the prototype of the square-jawed, fearless lawman; before Doc Holliday is the quintessential frontier gambler; before the gunfight at the O.K. Corral links their names forever in American frontier mythology—when neither man wanted fame or deserved notoriety.

Authentic, moving, and witty, Mary Doria Russell’s fifth novel redefines these two towering figures of the American West.

After the burned body of a mixed-blood boy, Johnnie Sanders, is discovered in 1878 Dodge City, Kansas, part-time policeman Wyatt Earp enlists the help of his professional-gambler friend Doc Holliday.

335 wanted1 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Doc by Mary Doria Russell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,376,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible