The Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine

The Elephant to Hollywood

by Michael Caine

199959,063 (3.57)9
Recently added byprivate library, MrsKessler, falkman, Melkor81205, brainx, ObiWanCanOweMe, amanda4242

Personally I think you should write one autobiography in your life and have done with it - Or write a wickedly funny trilogy - But please let’s not take three quarters of book one and regurgitate it into book two, add a little bit and expect to sell it!!! Autobiography one, ‘What’s it all about,” was a great read. Full Stop. Autobiography two, ‘From the Elephant to Hollywood’ doesn’t come close. ‘The Elephant to Hollywood,’ should have been full of previously unknown grit and emotions and anecdotes and real life and marched on from ‘What’s it all about’ and focused in depth on the past twenty years of Mr. Caine’s life and looked at the man, his feelings, the pain he was going through and how he emerged and celebrated the roles Mr. Caine has taken on during that time … which would have been a way more interesting and meaningful read. Instead Mr. Caine takes his first book, regurgitate three quarters into his second book, adds a little bit and expects us to be pleased Likewise, the list of famous people Mr. Caine has undisputedly met and worked with and come described as his best friends sounds like name dropping, which is sad!!! … and finally, there are parts of the book that are genuinely, incredibly irritating; as in, when Mr. Caine tells you, “I was sitting in the Connaught Hotel in London one evening having dinner on my own,” and you feel like screaming, ‘ Why can’t you just say, I was sitting having dinner on my own in some hotel or other!!!!”I’m sorry Michael, I am genuinely a HUGE fan but this book does you no favors and it’s not about ‘envy’ as you suggest (in this book) that motivates men to post bad reviews. I would love to write a glowing review … but … ‘What’s it all about,” I assume it took much longer for you to write and as such was way more thought filled and as such, insightful ... Book two feels as if it was genuinely much easier for you to write - when you were looking for something to do - and as such disappoints on more than one level!!!! ( )
  stuartechambers | Mar 16, 2014 |
Read by author. Only okay. A lot of name dropping. Not much about feelings. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
British actor Michael Caine delivers another autobiography, this one an update on his first book, [b:What's It All About?|327610|What's It All about|Michael Caine|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173786963s/327610.jpg|1413710], from 1993. This volume is most definitely an update, as the actor basically provides a skimmer on his earlier bio then does some extra chapters on his life since his first book.

I hate comparing books as the idea is to read each book as its own entity, but in this case it's quite pertinent. If you want a Niven-esque story about Caine's life (up to 1993), then read [b:What's It All About?|327610|What's It All about|Michael Caine|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173786963s/327610.jpg|1413710]. It's far more detailed and quite frankly, more fun. I still love his telling of the Cheetah and the dog tale in that book.

By contrast, this latest auto-bio is not as detailed with only some of the previous escapades popping up. It's really a primer for the basic cinematic fan who just wants a basic overview, which is okay but certainly nothing special. It feels as though Mr. Caine was asked to provide some more writings and this is the result. The one constant throughout the book is his reminding us that he is getting old. I kept thinking of T.S. Eliot and, "I grow old ... I grow old ...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."

Time for tea.

Book Season = Summer (basic beachbag book)

Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |
Read in August, 2013

The Elephant to Hollywood

Nonfic> Celebrity memoir
Fraudio read by author
summer 2013> tbr busting 2013

"My name is Michael Caine"

More name dropping and false modesty, however he does it so well. You get to hear of all his charitable acts and gifts, which is where this drops a star from the first memoir.

4* What's It All About
3* The Elephant to Hollywood
1 like ( )
  mimal | Aug 26, 2013 |
Unexpectedly delightful. Warm, moving, funny, sentimental, innocent but not naive. Comes across as a likeable, sociable bloke with a steely core that he doesn't need to flaunt. Could be accused of name-dropping, especially of a previous generation of Hollywood honchos, but he clearly enjoys their company and is generous to those who've helped him. Story of his falling in love (which I heard him tell before) is wonderful. Story of discovery of his disabled half-brother brought tears to my eyes. He's well aware of the media and jealous rivals snapping at his heels but seems to have little trouble from them; perhaps his mix of charm and toughness keeps them at bay. Simple but graceful style which we are led to believe is his own. ( )
  vguy | Mar 5, 2013 |
To my family - Shakira, Nikki, Natasha, Michael, the father of my three grandchildren, Taylor, Miles and Allegra - and to two of our closest and dearest friends, Emile Riley and Danny Zarem
When I finished my first autobiography, What's It All About? 1992 seemed like a good place to stop.

Charming, engaging, and surprisingly forthright, Michael Caine gives us his insider's view of Hollywood and the story of his brilliant second act

When he was in his late fifties, Michael Caine believed his glamorous, rags-to-riches Hollywood career had come to an end. The scripts being sent his way were worse and worse. When one script really disappointed, he called the producer to complain about the part. The producer said, "No, no, we don't want you for the lover, we want you for the father." Salvation came in the unlikely form of his old friend Jack Nicholson, who convinced him to give acting one more shot. What followed was not only an incredible personal transformation but also one of the most radical comebacks in film history. Learning to accept his new role both on camera and in his own life, Caine went on to win his second Oscar, be knighted by the queen, and deliver some of his best performances to date. Now he shares the spectacular story of his life, from his humble upbringing in London's poverty-stricken Elephant and Castle, his military service, touching marriage and family life, and lively adventures with friends, to legendary meetings with fellow stars, forays as a restaurateur, and hilarious off-screen encounters from his glittering five-decade career. Caine brings his gift for storytelling and his insider's view to a tale that is funny, warm, and deeply honest.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:15 -0400)

Caine shares the spectacular story of his life, from his humble upbringing in London's poverty-stricken Elephant and Castle to his military service and lively adventures to legendary meetings with fellow stars and his glittering five-decade career.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible