Storyteller Songs by G. R. Grove

Storyteller Songs

by G. R. Grove

1351,058,175 (3.1)1 / 4
2010 (1) bard (1) bardic (2) Britain (2) Celtic (1) fiction (1) non-fiction (1) poem (1) poetry (5) reference (1) song (1) storyteller (1) Wales (1)

I think these poems and excerpts are great, but it would be better to read the originals from the series first. In fact, I do not really see a point in this compilation because we can find the original works much more in depth. I do not feel that there was a need or demand for this type of book after writing the series.
  lunarismoon | Jan 13, 2011 |
Storyteller Songs by G. R. Grove is a unique mix of bardic style poetry and book excerpts. It is more of an introduction to the form and flavor of the author than a book of poetry, as the book consists of various poetic selections from the author’s Storyteller series, and a few passages of text. It basically gives a quick sampling of the novels without excessively spoiling their plotlines.

I enjoyed the poetry; it is excellent, nicely crafted, lyrical, and captures the essence of ancient Celtic culture. There is a graceful, evocative quality to the poems and it isn’t hard to imagine sitting in an archaic feasting hall listening to the words. Also, the surrounding prose that accompanies the verses is a tantalizing tease that piqued my interest in the books.

The book was a pleasant short read, and I think it makes a nice companion volume for the Storyteller series. ( )
1 vote scribe77 | Jan 12, 2011 |
I don't really understand the point of this book. For those who have not read the series the poems seem disjointed and honestly not that good. For those who have read the series, there is no point in reading poems from books they already read. Just don't get it.
1 vote Museet | Jan 4, 2011 |
Having not read the Storyteller series that seems to be paramount for understanding this book, I cannot review it in depth, but there were a few things that I noticed.

First of all, all of the poems, while good, were taken from books that I assume to be the series. It did not seem like there was any "new" material for the reader who was a fan of the series. Some may find that to be disappointing, because the introduction led me to think that they were new poems that were based on the series, and not taken directly from them. It also leads to the question of why this book was created in the first place - unless it was fan requested, because all of the poems are in her other books. The poems seemed also to be placed in a haphazard manner that did not seem to be an any comprehensible order - unless of course those who have read the series understand the ordering.

Overall, I guess I would say that it is important to read the series in order to fully understand this book. ( )
  bethieng | Jan 1, 2011 |
Not having read any of the other books by the author, many of them having served as the source of the poems contained in this book, I was left feeling a little out of sync with what I was reading here. I didn't get enough of the story to know where we were going with the poems and that probably colored my whole experience.

If I were wanting to start with this author's work, I would probably start with the books from which these poems were taken in the first place and skip this one. ( )
  eddiemerkel | Dec 31, 2010 |

This is a collection of prose and poetry taken from the first three books - the Young Gwernin trilogy - of the Storyteller series, which follows the adventures of a group of bards and storytellers in the years after King Arthur's death. If you have not yet read the novels, you might want to go and start there, as some of these poems could be considered to be plot spoilers. On the other hand, you might just want to plunge in now and see how you like Gwernin's world...

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

G. R. Grove's book Storyteller Songs was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

G. R. Grove is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

G. R. Grove chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 8, 2012 to Oct 26, 2012. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible