The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the…

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps (edition 2011)

by Jeanette Winter, Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

Member:taramankin
Title:The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
Authors:Jeanette Winter
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Non-fiction, biography, picture book, grades k-3

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter

Summery: In this biography, we follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to the years she spent in African forests. In the forests she observes chimps. These animals and their habitat are in danger of extinction. Jane devotes her life to protect these animals.

Personal: I think this book is good because it shows people what happens if we don't take care of our earth. If we don't preserve land, then habitats and animals will go extinct.

Classroom: Read to the students and then talk about what extinction is. Explain how we can help prevent it. We can even talk about other animals that are already extinct.
  mollyinger | Nov 30, 2016 |
Some know of Jane Goodall but few know of her story. I was unaware that she contracted Malaria and was the one who discovered that chimpanzees use tools as well as eat meats. Learning about other animals ,especially ones who are so closely related to us human beings, is crucial. Jane Goodall did so much for the species and in her field. I think this book is a wonderful representation of Jane and how she felt. It takes you through the parts of her life that really contributed to her success. This book shows children a career path that is unusual and could spark ideas and curiosity. ( )
  imasson | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book is super cute. It has very nice illustrations that would keep the students engaged. It tells a good story of Jane Goodall's life in a very simple manor. Students would love to learn about a life that many animal lovers dream about.
  KJoPlante | Oct 26, 2016 |
The Watcher is an easy read since the author presented Jane Goodall's life in an interesting way. She started the book when Jane was a young girl and her love for animals started. We learn how Jane Goodall's love of animals take her to Africa where she observes chimpanzees. Jane Goodall's patience pays off since the chimpanzees start to trust her and allow her to get closer to them. Jane eventually leaves Africa and starts to teach others about chimpanzees and what she has observed. After she leaves, she learns the chimpanzees are in trouble since the forests are being cut down, grown chimps are being killed, and baby chimps are being sold. Jane becomes an advocate for the chimpanzees since they don't have a voice of their own. The author simplifies Jane's adventures to allow emergent readers to comprehend the story. The pictures selected also help the early emergent reader understand the text. The author includes a note at the end of the story giving more insight into Jane Goodall's life. ( )
  maryalvarez | Oct 24, 2016 |
The Watcher is a biography about Jane Goodall and her work in Africa with the chimps. My favorite elements were the writing and the characters. Jeanette Winter simplified Jane Goodall's life story to really put emphasis on the fact that we can follow our dreams, do the impossible, and answer questions that have never been answers. Winter made sure to include the most important aspects of her life, her accomplishments, and ups and downs, so that the reader knows that some goals take risks and patience. The language she used was simple enough for a 3rd or 4th grader to follow on their own for independent reading, or for a K-2 student to follow along with during a read-aloud. The characters, or in this case, Jane Goodall herself, is another very good element of this biography. Goodall has a great story of perseverance and passion that the author hopes will inspire other girls and just other children in general. Winter wrote "I wish that when I was a little girl, I could have read about someone like Jane Goodall -- a brave woman who wasn't afraid to do something that had never been done before." ( )
  cmcdon13 | Oct 6, 2016 |

Acclaimed picture book biographer Jeanette Winter has found her perfect subject: Jane Goodall, the great observer of chimpanzees. Follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to her years in the African forests of Gombe, Tanzania, invited by brilliant scientist Louis Leakey to observe chimps, to her worldwide crusade to save these primates who are now in danger of extinction, and their habitat. Young animal lovers and Winter's many fans will welcome this fascinating and moving portrait of an extraordinary person and the animals to whom she has dedicated her life.

The Watcher was named a Best Book of the Year by Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, the Boston Globe, and the Bank Street College of Education.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

This book traces out the life and career of Jane Goodall as a watcher of English fauna to her adult work as scholar of animal behavior in Africa.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,616,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible