The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the…

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps (edition 2011)

by Jeanette Winter, Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

Member:taramankin
Title:The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
Authors:Jeanette Winter
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Non-fiction, biography, picture book, grades k-3

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter

Jane Goodall inspires, even when caricaturized. What I think this book does exceptionally well is be explicit about Goodall's patience and talent for watching. In a world where we often feel the need to be heard, and success is defined in terms of observables, this book's take on Goodall reminds us that the act of mindful, patient observation is a powerful one. In addition to the obvious social studies connection, I would use this book in mindfulness training. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 13, 2014 |
Summary:
Jane Goodall was a woman who dedicated her life to watching and saving chimpanzees. This book tells how Jane grew up in London and then was invited to Africa to watch these amazing animals. She had dedicated her life to chimps. They are now in danger of extinction.

Personal Reaction:
I saw this book in the library and was fascinated by Jane Goodall. I have never read any other books about her, but I really enjoyed reading this book. I am an animal lover so I am glad someone is helping these animals.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
The children could pick one animal they would like to help save if they were in danger of extinction and draw a picture of that animal and if they are old enough, they could write about how they would help this animal.
  juliana63012 | Apr 21, 2014 |
This is the cute story of Jane Goodall and her work with animals, particularly chimps. It's wonderfully illustrated to depict her efforts to protect animals and their environments.

Given that this book is such an easy read, I use this book for Kindergarten up to second, maybe third grade. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 4, 2014 |
In my opinion, this was a good book. I thought the author did a very nice job telling about Jane Goodall’s life. I really liked how the author showcased young Jane’s curiosity with animals and nature around her. The writing was engaging and allowed the reader to see how Jane acted at a young age: “EVERYONE had been searching for hours and hours…Jane came running to her mother, shouting—“I know how an egg comes out!” At five years old, Jane was already a watcher.” This phrase also connects to the title of the book. I thought this was a really neat way to describe Jane; the word ‘watcher’ is more simplistic, but it still effectively characterizes Jane and her work. Overall, I thought that this was a very appealing and engaging book. I really enjoyed the story line. The book started when Jane was very young, and ended when Jane was much older. But this was only inferred by the illustrations of Jane; the text never discussed her age and I thought this was interesting since this was a biography. The reader learned about all the important things she did in her life, but not necessarily the exact dates or Jane’s age when they happened. Typically dates would be stressed in a biography, but this book focused on what Jane did and why it was important—not when these events occurred. The big idea of this book stresses how if one truly sets their mind to doing something, the possibilities are endless. At a very early age, Jane decided she wanted to work with animals and she did everything she could do achieve that dream. While learning about such an extraordinary person, one can also learn about pursuing goals and dreams and, ultimately, attaining them. ( )
  sarabeck | Mar 31, 2014 |
This is such a wonderful book for young readers. The story is an easy read for children between the ages of 4-8. It is a biography about Jane Goodall and her efforts to help protect chimps and the environment in which they live. The pictures are beautiful and my students really enjoyed looking at them.I would use this book to show the importance of valuing the Earth and how we have to protect the world in which we live.
  dbushnell3 | Feb 25, 2014 |

Acclaimed picture book biographer Jeanette Winter has found her perfect subject: Jane Goodall, the great observer of chimpanzees. Follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to her years in the African forests of Gombe, Tanzania, invited by brilliant scientist Louis Leakey to observe chimps, to her worldwide crusade to save these primates who are now in danger of extinction, and their habitat. Young animal lovers and Winter's many fans will welcome this fascinating and moving portrait of an extraordinary person and the animals to whom she has dedicated her life.

The Watcher was named a Best Book of the Year by Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, the Boston Globe, and the Bank Street College of Education.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:50 -0400)

This book traces out the life and career of Jane Goodall as a watcher of English fauna to her adult work as scholar of animal behavior in Africa.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible