The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the…

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps (edition 2011)

by Jeanette Winter, Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

2207252,892 (4.27)2
Member:taramankin
Title:The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
Authors:Jeanette Winter
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Non-fiction, biography, picture book, grades k-3

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter

I enjoyed this picture book. Learning about Jane Goodall's life and work with chimpanzees was told beautifully through the art and story created. Very interesting and informational read for children interested in the work of Jane Goodall. ( )
  SraSpoer | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book follows the life of Jane Goodall from her initial interest in watching animals, to her befriending the chimps, to learning about the chimps, and lastly to speaking out to save their home.
This book is a good example of a biography because if talks all about Jane Goodall's life. It covered her life from when she was little to what she did near the end of her time. It even explains how she was a "watcher" from the start.
Media: paint and pen
Age Appropriateness: primary
  khofer15 | Feb 16, 2017 |
Summery: In this biography, we follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to the years she spent in African forests. In the forests she observes chimps. These animals and their habitat are in danger of extinction. Jane devotes her life to protect these animals.

Personal: I think this book is good because it shows people what happens if we don't take care of our earth. If we don't preserve land, then habitats and animals will go extinct.

Classroom: Read to the students and then talk about what extinction is. Explain how we can help prevent it. We can even talk about other animals that are already extinct.
  mollyinger | Nov 30, 2016 |
Some know of Jane Goodall but few know of her story. I was unaware that she contracted Malaria and was the one who discovered that chimpanzees use tools as well as eat meats. Learning about other animals ,especially ones who are so closely related to us human beings, is crucial. Jane Goodall did so much for the species and in her field. I think this book is a wonderful representation of Jane and how she felt. It takes you through the parts of her life that really contributed to her success. This book shows children a career path that is unusual and could spark ideas and curiosity. ( )
  imasson | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book is super cute. It has very nice illustrations that would keep the students engaged. It tells a good story of Jane Goodall's life in a very simple manor. Students would love to learn about a life that many animal lovers dream about.
  KJoPlante | Oct 26, 2016 |

Acclaimed picture book biographer Jeanette Winter has found her perfect subject: Jane Goodall, the great observer of chimpanzees. Follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to her years in the African forests of Gombe, Tanzania, invited by brilliant scientist Louis Leakey to observe chimps, to her worldwide crusade to save these primates who are now in danger of extinction, and their habitat. Young animal lovers and Winter's many fans will welcome this fascinating and moving portrait of an extraordinary person and the animals to whom she has dedicated her life.

The Watcher was named a Best Book of the Year by Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, the Boston Globe, and the Bank Street College of Education.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

This book traces out the life and career of Jane Goodall as a watcher of English fauna to her adult work as scholar of animal behavior in Africa.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,695,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible