The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the…

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps (edition 2011)

by Jeanette Winter, Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

Member:MaryARogers
Title:The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
Authors:Jeanette Winter
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Lower Elementary Levels, Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Picture Book- Biography

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter

Love this book and it's telling of Jane Goodall's life. I think it is great to show that grown ups who do gret things, were once just as young as our young readers and dreamt of what they loved to learn about. ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 7, 2015 |
For once, I decided to deviate from my usual Social Sciences track by checking out a book from my local library dealing with the hard sciences - specifically, Biology. "The Watcher" is a chronological photographic essay about Jane Goodall's naturalistic observations, authored by renowned children's writer Jeanette Winter. The book notes that ever since she was five, young Jane Goodall always yearned to be among animals in their natural habitats, the wild. The book takes us on a brief journey of Jane's life, including how she saved enough money to go study overseas and how she eventually got hired to study chimpanzees in Tanzania.

This book is clearly intended for younger children. The illustrations appear too childlike for any middle school student to appreciate. The writing is also simplistic, but that is a good thing considering the target audience here. I believe this book is best suited for a classroom read-aloud in a science class comprised of very small elementary aged children. I feel this book is especially relatable to such children because it tells how the chimpanzees were originally guarded and unapproachable when Jane was around watching them, yet as time passed and Jane remained among them, the chimpanzees became so friendly with her that they would eat bananas from her hand. This sort of skepticism of strangers exists in many children; and the fact that this book describes such a symbiotic relationship between Jane and the apes I believe will allow young children to draw connections, however rudimentary they may be, between their own experiences and between Jane's experiences with the apes; further generating more interest in young children in this book. I would definitely consider incorporating this book into my own science classroom or classroom library. ( )
  rdthomps | May 2, 2015 |
This book tells the story about the life of Jane Goodall. Jane was only five years old when she discovered she was a watcher. Jane watched all of the animals around her and after reading about Dr. Dolittle talking to the animals, she decided she wanted to go to Africa. When Jane was older she traveled to Africa and lived in the wild with the Chimps. She became very close to the chimps and devoted her life to them. Jane Goodall knew what she wanted to do with her life when she was only five years old. This story shows that if you should follow your dreams and make them a reality. The whole class could go to the zoo to observe the chimps and see them through Jane's eyes. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about the life of Jane Goodall. It tells about how Jane had been interested in animals since she was a child and how she came to study monkeys. It talks about how she moved to Gombe in Tanzania to study chimps and she went around the world raising awareness of the destruction of their habitats and their endangerment.

My Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because I remember watching her documentaries on the national geographic channel as a Kid. I remember one time wanting to become a monkey researcher after I saw her holding a baby monkey and talking about how it had become orphaned after a portion of their forest were destroyed.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could visit the monkey exhibit at the zoo.
2. We could do a collaborative research project of facts about Goodall and make a giant collage. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion, this was such a fun, colorful, and engaging biography. I thoroughly enjoyed the imagery throughout this book, which certainly assisted in enhancing the story. The illustrations are vibrantly colored, and show depth in the graphics. Each page has text and the pictures help bring the words to life. Secondly, I enjoyed the non-fictional elements within the story. The events of Jane Goodall's life are placed on each page in a sequential order. The book begins with her early life, followed by important events such as meeting Louis Leakey,early Chimpanzee encounters and her profound impact on being the greatest known advocate for these animals. The overall message is the importance in caring for our animals and their habitats. ( )
  sott3 | Mar 26, 2015 |

Acclaimed picture book biographer Jeanette Winter has found her perfect subject: Jane Goodall, the great observer of chimpanzees. Follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to her years in the African forests of Gombe, Tanzania, invited by brilliant scientist Louis Leakey to observe chimps, to her worldwide crusade to save these primates who are now in danger of extinction, and their habitat. Young animal lovers and Winter's many fans will welcome this fascinating and moving portrait of an extraordinary person and the animals to whom she has dedicated her life.

The Watcher was named a Best Book of the Year by Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, the Boston Globe, and the Bank Street College of Education.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

This book traces out the life and career of Jane Goodall as a watcher of English fauna to her adult work as scholar of animal behavior in Africa.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,944,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible