The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the…

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps (edition 2011)

by Jeanette Winter, Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

Member:MaryARogers
Title:The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
Authors:Jeanette Winter
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2011), Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:Lower Elementary Levels, Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Picture Book- Biography

The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter

Summary
The Watcher: Jane Goodall’s Life with the Chimps is a biographical picture book that shows Jane Goodall’s journey from observing animals since she was little. It goes into her saving money to go to Tanzania and how she incorporated herself into the chimpanzee’s environment.
Personal Reaction
I thought this book what very cute. I found this one just a few days ago because I was looking at different Earth Day books. I believe this would-be a great book for learning about animals and for Earth Day. I also enjoyed the illustrations in the book and how colorful they were.
Extension ideas
This book could be used to start lesson on animals like gorillas and chimps.
Students could keep a journal like Jane Goodall did in the book about their observations on a certain animal or the class could have a class pet and then as a class they could write their observations. ( )
  CaitlinOH_22 | Apr 23, 2017 |
Summary
This book gives the history of Jane Goodall. It talks about her childhood and how she came to Africa. It took her a while to see the chimps and gain their trust.
Personal reaction
I learned things about Jane Goodall that were interesting. I learned that sheHad been interested in animals all her life and worked really hard to get to Africa.
Classroom extension
1. Have students observe birds and keep a journal of their observations
2.have students write about an experience they have had with an animal
  jasmine.Hamilton | Apr 23, 2017 |
"The Watcher" is sweet and simple biography of Jane Goodall. It begins with a story about Jane's curiosity and watchfulness as a child. She watched birds, worms, and bugs. Jane Saved money to go to Africa, and there is where she did her most famous watching; she watched and studied chimpanzees! The story tells about her patience and peace she gained from watching the chimps.

I love this book! I got the opportunity to hear Jane Goodall speak at my middle school, and I have loved her ever since. every time I passed the signed and framed poster of her at school, I would nearly break my neck looking at it. "The Watcher" does a fabulous job capturing her sweet gentle spirit. Jane has to be patient for the chimpanzees to let her look at them. The illustrations in this book are fabulous, as well. I think they are either watercolor or markers; either way, they're beautifully detailed and perfectly colorful. I would highly recommend this book.

I would read this book to any elementary aged class. It would be perfect for any time of year or day. This was read in a mid to older elementary aged class, then I would pair this story wit h a writing prompt. Students would write about what they dream to be with they grow up (no matter how crazy it may seem). We would also discuss how brave Jane must have been, leaving everything she knew to live in the forest with wild animals. ( )
  ambybeth | Apr 21, 2017 |
Growing up, Jane Goodall loved animals. She especially loved chimpanzees. She dreamed of one day going to Africa and studying animals. Jane eventually saved enough money and made her way to Kenya. Her dream of working with animals was upon her. Jane eventually went to Tanzania to a place called Gombe, where chimpanzees lived. Jane studied the animals closely and learned a lot about them. She eventually earned their trust and they let her close to them. Many years passed and Jane worked and studied with the chimps. She eventually left Gombe and was an advocate for the chimps and their loss of habitat. Overall, this book was a very good story on the life of Jane Goodall. The information was presented in a way that allowed for an elementary student to read and comprehend the amazing accomplishments Jane Goodall had through her work. Good biography for students to work on and also a god book to learn about the preservation of wildlife.
  dennehycm32 | Apr 10, 2017 |
I enjoyed this picture book. Learning about Jane Goodall's life and work with chimpanzees was told beautifully through the art and story. Very interesting and informational read for children interested in the work of Jane Goodall.

“Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference.”
— Dr. Jane Goodall ( )
  SraSpoer | Feb 23, 2017 |

Acclaimed picture book biographer Jeanette Winter has found her perfect subject: Jane Goodall, the great observer of chimpanzees. Follow Jane from her childhood in London watching a robin on her windowsill, to her years in the African forests of Gombe, Tanzania, invited by brilliant scientist Louis Leakey to observe chimps, to her worldwide crusade to save these primates who are now in danger of extinction, and their habitat. Young animal lovers and Winter's many fans will welcome this fascinating and moving portrait of an extraordinary person and the animals to whom she has dedicated her life.

The Watcher was named a Best Book of the Year by Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, the Boston Globe, and the Bank Street College of Education.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

This book traces out the life and career of Jane Goodall as a watcher of English fauna to her adult work as scholar of animal behavior in Africa.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,413,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible