Daytripper by Gabriel Ba

Daytripper (2010)

by Gabriel Bá, Fabio Moon (Author)

Other authors: Dave Stewart (Colorist)

English (38)  Danish (2)  French (1)  All (41)
Twin brothers Moon and Bá beautifully recount the life of Brás de Oliva Domingos, crafter of obituaries and son of a world-famous Brazilian writer. The lavishly illustrated chapters relate important epochs of his life, each ending with his untimely and shocking death. Emotionally wrought and expertly told, the lyrical Daytripper breathes new life into the tired slice-of-life format and emerges as one of the best graphic novels of the year. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
By the time I got the hang of what was going on (spoiler? In each volume, Brás dies in a different way at different times of his life, sometimes within a different storyline), it was hurting so good. There were some endings which were not my favorite (wtf murder-suicide), but I liked the family / father-son bond theme. The one with the plane crash got me the most choked up.

At the end of the last volume I felt a little depressed that I had to rant about it to a friend to be able to laugh it off. Gah. It's like feeling of Bel Canto. Depressing but beautiful. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I cried.

I'm a huge fan of surreal stuff and beautiful things and tragic heartbreak and boy does this graphic novel have all of that, along with some superb writing and beautiful art. This will really punch you in the stomach, especially if you're already in an emotional state (it caught me at a fragile time, I'm sorry). ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 8, 2017 |
Life turns on little moments. Moments that you dwell on and play over and over again in your mind in the infinite ways that they could have resolved themselves. Each day in Brás's life is like a page from a book. Each one reveals the people and things who have made him who he is: his mother and father, his child and his best friend, his first love and the love of his life. And like all great stories, each day has a twist he'll never see coming. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |
This has beautiful art and a deep, moving story. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |

Bá, GabrielAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moon, FabioAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Assis, ÉricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denardin, FabioEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, CraigIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the cancer that had spread throughout most of his brain finally took the best of him, Schlomo Lerner had, at the age of 89, been in love 274 times.
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Presents key moments in the life of Bras de Oliva Domingos, a Brazilian writer and sometime journalist, and the son of a prominent author, as if each episode would turn out to be the day in which he was about to die.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible